PDA

View Full Version : GB Airways Approved Pilot Scheme

chileconcarne27
11th Jul 2006, 12:19
GB Airways have launched a similar sponsorship deal to the one Flybe did with FTE.

Go to www.flighttrainingeurope.com and click on the link to GB to fill out the initial application form!

Anyone have any more details regarding this scheme?!?!

Good luck to all those who apply :)

Superpilot
11th Jul 2006, 12:44
On the GB Airways website, ppjn.com and according to FTE themselves it is stated that GB Airways regularly take cadets from FTE. Then explain to me how this is different? It's not different. It's just clever marketing highlighting the links between FTE and GB Airways. And this kind of proves it... (A true scheme would emphasise the need to start on a particular date along with all the "selected" cadets)

Course Start Dates

As you will see in the application form, you are asked to indicate your preferred course start date. There are three options; the alternatives are November 2006 and January and February 2007. We will do our best to give successful candidates their preferred choice of date but cannot guarantee that this will always be the case.

On top of that any mention of a job at the end is even more scarce than the schemes for FlyBE and BA-CON. Mind you GB Airways do pay a sensible starting salary (according to PPJN starting is 36k).

TruTh747
11th Jul 2006, 17:53
If successful throughout the training and a vacancy exists, no further selection will be required by the Airline, you will flow straight into a type rating course. If a vacancy is not immediately available you might be placed in a holding pool until a vacancy becomes available.

Thats the same deal for flybe, OAT TC, TF etc....i also noticed that graduates from OAT have been hired by TC and they were not on the approved scheme...

A true scheme would emphasise the need to start on a particular date along with all the "selected" cadets)

Why is FB doing three courses this year? Maybe like FB, GB are in need of a large quantity of low houred pilots? and thus 3 courses....who knows..

:) ... too many haters these days....

goodwxpilot
11th Jul 2006, 18:28
It's all very expensive - £65k....I wonder if any actual sponsorship will ever return? The market is in great shape just now, so surely some form of sponsorship will have to return?

What I find strange is that far from things getting better for wannabes with an improving market, it actually continues to get worse. For example, when the CTC scheme first started, you got £5k from the airline to help with living expenses. The course cost £60k.

Now you don't get £5k, and you have to pay for the foundation course i.e. the cost of a PPL...on top of the £60k

Then you have to pay for the right to go to selection. Such a joke - can you imagine an investment bank charging you for their selection?

I have been trying to explain all this to friends and they simply can't believe it - they actually thought I was joking. When they realised I wasn't they enquired "why would anyone be so daft as to apply to one of these scheme's?".....good question

Lucifer
11th Jul 2006, 18:55
I wonder if any actual sponsorship will ever return? The market is in great shape just now
Not if people keep paying for training!

sicky
11th Jul 2006, 21:01
I applied and just heard back today, with surprise surprise, 8 questions to answer, remarkably similar to the flybe maps questions :p

Will give it a shot anyway :ok: (it's just finding the time to sit down and answer the questions right now :ugh:)

Ballistic
30th Sep 2006, 12:32
Hello All,

I'm one of the candidates on the GB Airways sponsorship scheme run through FTE. I'm trying to contact all of those on the programme. I'm selected for the February course but am interested to hear from those on the November course.

wingbar
2nd Oct 2006, 12:33
Good luck to the cadets - wish I'd had the opportunity. Securing the job is worth its weight in gold these days.

Dr Eckener
2nd Oct 2006, 22:14
Securing the job is worth its weight in gold these days.

Good job, because people will pay there weight in gold to get one!

These schemes are not sponsorship. They are a monitoring process at best. If the airlines can get people to pay for the most expensive training without it costing them a penny, or without any risk, then why would they choose any other method. Integrated schools fill themselves on the back of such schemes without a care for where your money comes from.

What do you get? a job, possibly, but also potentially more debt than other routes would have cost. You may also not get the job if you don't perform all the time with first time passes in everything, or the airlines simply do not want anyone when you graduate.

I have no axe to grind, just think people should be a little more aware of the realities.

747-436
3rd Oct 2006, 13:58
Wish I had seen the advert when it came out as I would have considered applying!! Oh well, next time maybe!

Dan Gwiz
19th May 2007, 17:41
Some of you may have noticed that GB Airways are doing another set of 'sponsorship' schemes. For those of you who have successfully started their GB airways scheme, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind telling us what is involved in the two stages that you are required to go to Gatwick for, should you be successful?

Many thanks,

TTango
21st May 2007, 19:00
Hopefully I will be able to apply tomorrow if I receive an answer to a question from FTE. Again, any information on the day at Gatwick would be appreciated :ok:

newbie008
22nd May 2007, 21:10
really dont understand the point of asking for a science a-level!!! Fair enough if they ask for physics, but I havent got a science a-level. If I had biology is that really going to make the difference in getting to the next stage..seems utterly pointless

veetwo
23rd May 2007, 09:46
Think I have to agree with you newbie 008. I quite recently finished the course in Jerez and I have no science A Level and no Maths A Level and was therefore unable to apply to these "approved schemes". It made absolutely no difference to my time in Jerez whatsoever, nor to my subsequent employment.

I think it is purely a mechanism to reduce the number of applications to a manageable level, which doesn't seem very fair.

V2

Smell the Coffee
23rd May 2007, 11:53
Do the airline make money? Applying to this scheme does raise some questions - what happens if GB are bought out by another airline?
They currently face some very serious competition at Gatwick from the likes of easyJet and thomsonfly which fly many of the same routes...BA's other franchise (BMED) has just been bought by Bmi after its major shareholders refused to inject more money into a loss-making airline.
GB's future doesn't appear that clear to me...if anyone could shed some light...
Of course, there are plenty of other things to think about other than whether the company will still exist 18 months from now, but given the investment required, I think it's a fair question.

AJMcC
23rd May 2007, 18:35
newbie and veetwo, I was under the impression that Physics is classed as a 'science based A level', so if you've got one of them, put it down! And I'm sure it's more the skills you acquire from studying a science subject, e.g. logic and analysis, than the actual subject itself which is important to the airline.

I understand it's difficult for wannabes who don't have the academic qualifications to land a place on a scheme like these, even though they may be much stronger in other relevant areas, but when there are so many of us out there that are equally desperate for the job, they've got to cut the numbers down somehow.

I hate to sound arrogant saying this, but to let someone who doesn't have shining academics into the highly sought-after right hand seat to the detriment of others who have worked hard to obtain qualifications, really just undermines all that hard work that they have put in. What is a certificate worth if it's not going to get you some recognition for your efforts? Just like with any job in the entire world, if you don't have the right qualifications, no cigar for you! I've learnt from applying to multiple other jobs that wanting the position isn't enough - you have to earn it somehow.

Sorry if that sounded like a rant - I don't mean to offend you in saying this. Besides, I'm sure you're both intelligent guys/girls who know all this already.

Good luck for your applications anyway - and everyone else!

newbie008
23rd May 2007, 18:50
think you mistook my point..I know physics is a science! I was saying what is the point of only allowing those with a science a-level to apply. I could understand if they requested physics a-level, but why science??What the hell does biology have in common with flying, yet if I had a biology a-level I could apply. I dont have a science a-level hence my rant at only accepting people with this.Physics and maths fair enough, but just science seems pointless, flybe dont ask for anything like this

AJMcC
23rd May 2007, 19:02
Ah right - I getcha. Sorry about that. I misunderstood.

I suppose my point about the skills you learn doing a science subject being valuable still stands though.

g1344304
23rd May 2007, 21:27
newbie, its not the knowledge of biology i would imagine. as AJMcC says i think its more about the logic, analysis, type of scientific thinking required more so than you would get from say a history, art, french A level which would require a completely different type of analysis and thinking. All of the sciences especially physics and chemistry involve quite a lot of mathematics too.

Easy226
24th May 2007, 10:18
I applied to this scheme a couple of days ago, but got knocked back because i was one a - level short and even hold a degree in an aerospace related subject(received the e-mail a couple of days ago). I recently took part in the flybe scheme and managed to progress through to stage 4 however not even past this stage for this scheme! Imo. very silly - there was not even any question about holding a degree.

All the best to everyone who gets through to the next stage as im sure it will be a very good scheme to get accepted onto.

many thanks

dan

femaleWannabe
4th Jun 2007, 17:59
Thought I'd bump this up a bit. I sent off the questions today. Anyone know more about this scheme? Assuming its similar to the Tfly, Flybe etc ones at FTE.

revilo_rehsif
5th Jun 2007, 15:27
just fired off my questions

I really hope that they dont issue the ID Numbers in order; Mine is 215!:(

femaleWannabe
6th Jun 2007, 19:01
lol well I have a similar number ;) judging by this thread there aren't many applicants.... or noboby wants to reveal themselves!

revilo_rehsif
8th Jun 2007, 16:13
woo hoo stage 3 here i come!:)

thank :mad: i dont have to do the pilapts again just an interview

revilo_rehsif
8th Jun 2007, 17:19
my flybe, thomsonfly and gb airways questions were all practically identical

flybe i didnt get invited to stage 3

Thomsonfly i got to stage 4

really quite strange!

Dan Gwiz
9th Jun 2007, 11:07
Congrats to people getting in, unfortunately i didn't manage to get in, woudl anyone mind just giving us a brief desciption on what you wrote for each question, just so i can compare - many thanks,

DG

TTango
9th Jun 2007, 11:19
What date are you guys going to Gatwick?

AJMcC
9th Jun 2007, 12:15
Has everyone got their replies then, whether good or bad? I haven't heard anything yet.....

TTango
9th Jun 2007, 12:27
Yeah, I got a reply yesterday.

NickS
9th Jun 2007, 17:12
I got the email yesterday and I'm booked in for the 19th June in the afternoon. Anyone else scheduled for that date, feel free to get in touch.

BusinessMan
9th Jun 2007, 18:36
Hi All,

Thought I might aswell join in :) - I'm pm on the 18th at LGW. Any others for then?

Also very interested to hear what the process involves (this stage and next) from anyone who's done it before.

Lastly, does anyone know how many places we're chasing?

Cheers, BM

revilo_rehsif
10th Jun 2007, 17:40
im booked for the 19th, although my instructions say 5pm show time:eek: .I only have the interview to do because i did the pilapts recently. So chances are i wont be seeing the other people booked for the 19th :{

revilo_rehsif
20th Jun 2007, 18:27
I had my stage 3 selection today.

I only had to do the interview, Funnily enough it was absolutley identical to the thomsonfly stage 3. Same interviewers and all!

theres 6 places up for grabs, with 26 people being tested for stage 3

BusinessMan
26th Jun 2007, 15:29
Anyone heard yet?

BM

BusinessMan
26th Jun 2007, 19:50
Thanks MixMaster, I thought it was today we'd hear but relieved to be informed it's not just my Hotmail not delivering!

revilo_rehsif
26th Jun 2007, 19:56
I havnt heard anything, im guessing either tommorow or thursday possibly

BusinessMan
26th Jun 2007, 21:29
Okeydokey. Was anyone told which day the next stage would be? I wasn't given any sure dates but will need to book the time off very soon if I'm going to get it agreed by work, whether or not I'm successfully through to next stage.

TTango
27th Jun 2007, 14:06
Anyone going back for an interview on Monday morning?

revilo_rehsif
27th Jun 2007, 16:20
Woohoo! Stage 4

Looks like i may be making an appearance monday morning then!

NickS
27th Jun 2007, 19:45
I got the phone call this morning (6am in Canada). Apparently I nailed most of it, but somehow got 43% for the verbal reasoning. Those questions are really dubious. Not to worry. Best of luck to those still in the running for a place.

revilo_rehsif
27th Jun 2007, 20:47
Yeah the verbal reasoning is the test that catch's most people out, the problem is that it is hard to revise for.

TTango
28th Jun 2007, 12:10
Has anyone got any ideas of what this stage is going to consist of? I seem to remember reading it was just an interview but websites like ppjn are suggesting a group exercise and sim ride as well?

AJMcC
28th Jun 2007, 15:35
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think PPJN is talking about direct entry pilots only rather than ab initio students. If GB's Phase 4 is anything like Thomsonfly's, then it will be a simple interview... and apparently an application form (which they forgot to post to me). Fairly similar questions to the FTE interview you had at Phase 3, but I got the feeling it was more a discussion to see what kind of person you are, seeing as all your technical capabilities have already been proven at Phase 3.
Without giving too much away, I had questions like:
- Tell me about yourself - education, family, interests
- What do you think we are looking for?
- What is your biggest accomplishment?
- Have you considered other careers?

Stuff like that. I would imagine that the most important thing is for you to be comfortable with all the decisions you've made in your career path and be able to justify them. Or if you aren't, then you should demonstrate you can look on the positive side and demonstrate what you've learnt from your mistakes.

Just for clarification, I'm not in the slightest bit pretending to know everything here - nor am I intending to undermine the 'surprise' element of an interview. I'm just letting you know of my as yet very limited experience of aviation interviews. I know that I got a lot of help from others who posted their experiences on here, so I thought I'd return the favour. And even with help from this forum, the most important thing (hmm, a 2nd most important thing....) is to give honest answers, and not some model answers that you've learned by rote.

Hope that helps.

AJMcC
28th Jun 2007, 15:40
OK, here is the lawyer in me coming out...
When I say 'simple' interview, I don't mean to imply that it is easy. Rather I mean that is nothing but an interview. But I want to emphasise that this is what happened with the Tfly course and it may be different for GB.
Please don't sue me................... :sad:

TTango
28th Jun 2007, 15:44
AJMcC - Thanks for your input. I think you right about ppjn, with regards to it being direct entry.

Mattman1907
1st Jul 2007, 08:48
Is there anyone else who has got to stage 4 on monday?

AJMcC
4th Jul 2007, 14:01
How is everyone getting along? Did the Stage 4s go well? When do you get the results?

If successful, you'll be joining the October course, right?

Well good luck everyone. Let us know how you get on.

TTango
4th Jul 2007, 14:34
I believe we will find out before or on Monday.

It was really good to meet everyone, had a good chat and we all exchanged contact details to find out how we all got on. I thought it went quite well but you never can tell!

Those who do get accepted will start on the September, October and November courses.

revilo_rehsif
4th Jul 2007, 17:21
Well with the GB scheme;

All applicants were told to come at 9am on the same day. The day started with a short presentation about GB Airways. This was then followed by an Ice breaker; although we were told that it was to get to know one another, we were quite clearly being assessed.

We then all had individual interviews with a one of the pilots and a HR type lady. I happened to be the first one chosen for the interview:ugh:, so im not too sure how everyone else got on, i only heard from a few people.

All in all, i actually had fun! Every candidate was very nice, all the assessors were very pleasant. Either way the decison goes, i learnt a lot and had a good time.

revilo_rehsif
4th Jul 2007, 19:07
Yes ppl_student it was pretty much exactly that! For some stupid reason i felt more nervous about that than the actual interview:O

TTango
6th Jul 2007, 13:10
Got the phone call a few hours ago to tell me that I’m in. It was my first application to any scheme so I’m absolutely over the moon! Can't wait to start at FTE, but as someone else said on the FTE thread, I’m not going to count my lucky stars until the medical and finance side are sorted. Has anyone else heard back?

AJMcC
6th Jul 2007, 15:50
Congratulations you two. I guess I'll be seeing you in October then?...

revilo_rehsif
6th Jul 2007, 16:09
woohoo! Im in, got the phone call this afternoon.:)

Still hasnt sunk in yet to be honest!

3rd time lucky! not sure which course date

Cant wait

aftab
6th Jul 2007, 17:04
Congrats guys. :D

hopefully i will be able to get onto one of these schemes in the near future.:}

320love
7th Jul 2007, 12:23
I´m also through!

I guess I´ll see you all soon at Jerez!! :ok:

Mattman1907
7th Jul 2007, 15:45
Got through as well so im pretty happy. Has made me an extremely happy chap! Now just have to go through the medical and finance etc! But the hard parts done. Be in touch with everyone in the future once we get the dates through

Mattman1907
17th Jul 2007, 20:35
Hey im going to FTE 12th November, is there anyone else on that course date as well

Hookerbot 5000
17th Jul 2007, 20:41
But the hard parts done.

Rofl that's what i thought when i got through on the Tfly scheme but trust me the hardest part is arranging the finance :} (in my opinion).

Good luck :)

revilo_rehsif
18th Jul 2007, 18:47
Looks like i will be joining you matt!

744FO
20th Jul 2007, 11:21
Just out of interest did GB Airways require A Levels from its applicants?

future captain
20th Jul 2007, 11:24
Yes it did.

LUFC-Fan
20th Jul 2007, 13:36
Is this sponsorship offered every year?, because this thread was posted back in 2001.

TTango
20th Jul 2007, 17:47
Both and Deepak and I are both on the October course as well. Can't wait! Look forward to seeing you there.

EspritS3
22nd Jul 2007, 19:51
Hey guys, congrats to all who got through, and best of luck to those didn't make it. I got the good news myself while I was suffering from a bout of food poisoning, finally managed to get out to celebrate this weekend!

_Rhys, TTango and Deepak, sounds like I'll be starting with you in October - seems like ages away but I'm sure it will fly by! Have you got dates for your medical yet? I'll be there on 4th September - if any of you are around then it would be good to meet up again.

Catch you later...

revilo_rehsif
22nd Jul 2007, 20:04
Does anyone know how many people actually got through?

From the "ppruners" theres 4 for october and 2 for november, any september people?

320love
24th Jul 2007, 20:37
I´m starting in September!! Anyone else??

revilo_rehsif
1st Aug 2007, 16:08
yeah i got it in the post about 2 days ago

Mattman1907
4th Aug 2007, 11:07
Is anyone else having problems with the finance? Mines being a nightmare, BBVA have sent me a completely different application form along with the one that FTE sent, has anyone else had that?

aftab
4th Aug 2007, 16:18
Hi there guys, roughly how long does it take for the loan to come through, providing that all goes through. lol

thanks

Will Bored
7th Aug 2007, 06:53
Hi all,
I just wondered how many GB cadets were currently training in Jerez, and also how many were due to start training soon? how many courses are they running for GB?
Cheers,
Will

The Mixmaster
9th Aug 2007, 22:33
There's ten of us for the upcoming course, not sure how many are currently training but I'm sure someone on here knows:ok:

Mattman1907
25th Oct 2007, 18:28
Hey fellow GB Tag Students, does anyone know what will happen to the tag we had? Will it go to easyJet or have we just lost our golden tickets? Just wonder what other people think about it or if anyones heard anything?

JONNY99
25th Oct 2007, 21:49
what's happened

hollingworthp
26th Oct 2007, 04:35
Easjet have acquired GB Airways: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7061246.stm but they don't get the EGLL slots.

charlie copeland
26th Oct 2007, 08:58
Good news, I imagine, for all those ab-initios on the CTC-wings Programme from which EJ sources its low-hours FO's. For the rest of us, this period of "consolidation" in the airline industry with various corporate restructuring and mergers/acquisitions suggests a possible lull in recruitment. Having followed the BALPA EOC thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=289633) this seemed to be the message from those who attended. However, the short term effects should be offset by an increase in efficiency that will promote long term growth leading to sustained recruitment. :hmm:

On a lighter note, if you fancy a challenge in your coffee break have a go at this c/o the RAF:
http://adverts.freeloader.com/kerb/raf/

Charlie

Grass strip basher
26th Oct 2007, 12:05
Bit confused how is this good news for CTC cadets... surely this will reduce their hiring requirements which means longer in a hold pool??

BusinessMan
21st Feb 2009, 12:35
Congratulations to all those 'GB Airways cadets' who've been passing out from FTE recently :D. As someone who didnt get in I was wishing you all the best.

I was just wondering - have Easy honoured the GBA cadet agreement or were all you guys suddenly left as 'self-sponsored' ? On the passing out photos it doesn't mention tagging from GBA or EJ.

Well done anyway! BM

Bambe
21st Feb 2009, 13:00
I was flying as a cabin crew for GB when the company was taken over by EZY and I can confirm that none of the FTE cadets have been and will be integrated to EZY crew... Easyjet only takes integrated low hours from CTC.

BusinessMan
24th Feb 2009, 02:50
Ouch, that must have been a difficult one after winning the dream ticket. This sure is one fickle industry.

Did you go for the cadetship too by the way Bambe?

BM