PDA

View Full Version : Home to Duty - Taxable?

A2QFI
11th Jul 2006, 08:50
I have just done 300 miles "Home to Duty" in my own car, to attend training courses I was required to do by my employer (not the RAF). Payroll have now sent me a 2 page form indicating an amount I must put on my tax return re Taxable benefits. As I am reclaiming money I have spent, on which I have already paid tax at source (PAYE), does anybody think I have a tax liability on this payment? What is the RAF's position on this, please?

EmmTee
11th Jul 2006, 08:53
Are you claiming back actual costs? Or is this an allowance, which in all probability is more than you actually spent? If the second, then I suggest you would be taxed on it.

airmail
11th Jul 2006, 08:59
A2QFI

It depends on the amount that you are claiming back. HMRC have specific allowances for mileage that are currently 40p per mile for the first 10,000 miles per annum and then 25p per mile thereafter.

If you have claimed 40p per mile then there will be no liability, if you have claimed less then you will be able to get a rebate. If more, then there may be a liability.

Please note that I am not an accountant or in the forces but I do get a nice lump sum back annually because my company pays less than the 40p p m.

I believe that there was a similar post on this last year so a search may bring up further info.

Ballast
11th Jul 2006, 10:04
As far as I am concerned airmail is correct. The Inland Revenue (HMRC now) have defined an allowance of 40p (10,000 miles) and 25p (thereafter).

Therefore any allowance paid by your employer is compared to this at tax time. If you are paid less than the allowance then HMRC gives you back the difference, if you are paid more then you owe them.

HOWEVER. You are not allowed to claim money (in Inland Revenue terms) for travel to and from your NORMAL place of work, so this only works for occasional travel, temporary detached duty etc.

A2QFI
11th Jul 2006, 10:13
Thank you very much. I am on 40p a mile for the miles I claimed and the jouneys were not regular ones to and from my place of work (I am not paid for that) but for one off journeys I had to do to attend training courses which were not at my normal place of work. I have been sent the form in case I clock up a lot more miles, I think, and I shall not be! Thanks for the clear advice and comments