PDA

View Full Version : 40th Anniversary of VC10 'Funbus' in RAF Service (merged)

MrBernoulli
10th Jul 2006, 23:37
Lads and Lasses, is there going to be a projector for displaying digital pictures at the dinner on Friday night? Like some Brize Norton OM do's in the past? If so could someone please PM me, and let me know who is 'looking after' it

Looking forward to seeing you all there!;)

Blacksheep
11th Jul 2006, 00:44
Was it really that long ago? No wonder my hair has gone white.

antipodean alligator
11th Jul 2006, 00:48
Best Tanker blokes (& Gals) I've ever had the pleasure of porking a join onto! Hats off & enjoy your bash.

MrBernoulli
12th Jul 2006, 11:30
Anybody? Earth calling 101 Sqn! Are you out there? A simple no will suffice.

FFP
12th Jul 2006, 12:26
PM sent MrB.

Looking forward to catching up with you !!

ChezTanker
12th Jul 2006, 12:58
Anybody? Earth calling 101 Sqn! Are you out there? A simple no will suffice.

Just a little busy at the moment. See you on Friday if I get home in time!!:)

MrBernoulli
12th Jul 2006, 23:15
Best Tanker blokes (& Gals) I've ever had the pleasure of porking a join onto! Hats off & enjoy your bash.

Er, thanks for your post, and we'll drink a pint or 5 to .... RAAF?

antipodean alligator
12th Jul 2006, 23:41
Mr B,

Please feel free to drink to Ronnie RAAF, but my memories of watching your wings bend (how does that turbulence trim setting work??), once we'd managed to find you, are from my days flying with the single A air force.

Hope you have a top bash....AA:ok:

BEagle
15th Jul 2006, 08:49
Absolutely top night last night at the Covert Oxonian Aerodrome to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the VC10 in RAF service. Many thanks to Mike Smart and all the gang for such a splendid occasion!

The 3-ship vic flypast was truly exceptional! Rock steady, nice and tight and the sound of 12 Conways directly overhead at low level was certainly memorable. With all the overstretch and pressures on the fleet, well done indeed to the groundcrew for generating the jets for this special event.

Rewarding also to see so many good guys recently promoted. Congratulations to you all.

Will we see a FunBus Fiftieth – or will FSTA actually exist by then?

Again – many thanks to all involved for such a brilliant event!

Max R8
15th Jul 2006, 10:32
Great nite, Smartie and Snake on top form, the Jezzmeister's 3-ship truly legendary... but thanks to hoverjet, no photographer to record for posterity! We'll all just have to treasure the memory of the funbus overcast with conway overture!:D

MrBernoulli
15th Jul 2006, 11:06
It was, most certainly, a 'top bash' and kicked off with a low level 3-ship VC10 flypast over the OM at Brize Norton. Crews then make mad dash and change to arrive for dinner. Hoorah!

Great to see so many old faces and hear a tale or two. If you wanted to, but couldn't make it, commiserations - I know many of the VC10 brethren are still on ops/deployment in various exotic spots.

Quote of the night? After dinner speech "I'll give him 'remarkable, Łucking remarkable ...." (You had to be there ..... and hear the full wack - priceless!)

MrBernoulli
15th Jul 2006, 11:09
Ooops, just seen Beagle's posting. Please follow his thread at FUNBUS FORTIETH.

MrBernoulli
15th Jul 2006, 11:10
Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigears
15th Jul 2006, 14:16
Some pics here (http://www.ukar.co.uk/cgi-bin/ukarboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=9;t=18731)

Wycombe
15th Jul 2006, 14:24
Can we see that across at FFD please...pretty please :ok:

Tonkenna
15th Jul 2006, 14:27
A great night and lovely to see so many old friends...

Heads still a bit delicate though:\

Tonks:cool:

Art Field
15th Jul 2006, 16:44
Congratulations on the 40 up. To those that fly and service them now good fortune and be safe, you have a fine history to follow.

NutLoose
15th Jul 2006, 19:46
Congratulations on the 40 up. To those that fly and service them now good fortune and be safe, you have a fine history to follow.

Hmm another all officer bash no doubt............... shame really should be all ranks

Tonkenna
15th Jul 2006, 19:52
Actually it wasn't an officer only dinner...

Tonks :rolleyes:

BEagle
15th Jul 2006, 19:53
No, it was most certainly not an 'all-officer bash'!

Nor was it 'aircrew only'.

You beat me to it, Tonks!

Max R8
15th Jul 2006, 19:58
Assumption is the mother of all ******s Nutloose! Not quite all ranks but SNCO, JNCO, cabin staff, ground crew, etc. An excellent and inclusive night! Your snide aside misses by a mile.

NutLoose
15th Jul 2006, 20:39
Assumption is the mother of all ******s Nutloose! Not quite all ranks but SNCO, JNCO, cabin staff, ground crew, etc. An excellent and inclusive night! Your snide aside misses by a mile.

my.. they must be learning from their past fopars then... still not all ranks though......... To exclude any rank from the celebrations is a let down to all of those that struggle night in and night out to keep them flying............... sorry I will not appologies for what I see as a travesty in the finest traditions of the RAF

Art Field
15th Jul 2006, 20:54
NutLoose. I object strongly to your use of my forum entry as a chance to have a go at officers. As I am well aware, the VC10 world is totally dependant on the co-operation of all ranks which was why I used the words
"those that fly and service them". Please take your chip elsewhere.

NutLoose
15th Jul 2006, 21:01
NutLoose. I object strongly to your use of my forum entry as a chance to have a go at officers. As I am well aware, the VC10 world is totally dependant on the co-operation of all ranks which was why I used the words
"those that fly and service them". Please take your chip elsewhere.

I am not having a go at you, just at the way the RAF quietly side swipe the majority of the people that look after them............... as per normal.... and as for your " those that fly and service them" well does seven years maintaining them not qualify me to comment? or am I to be sideswiped as well for commenting on it? I am now in a position to speak for those that may feel aggrieved but are still serving and cannot speak for themselves............... or are you trying to prevent that as well?

One did think this was a democracy we live in.

BEagle
15th Jul 2006, 21:04
Agreed, Arters - well said!

If I recall correctly, the premier tanker squadron has always held 'all ranks' dos. Whether at the Spotlight Club, Officers' Mess, Gateway, Windmill or wherever else. Except when one unlamented Stn Cdr refused to allow non-Officers into the OM one time...may he forever rot in his own excreta.

Wasn't it at the 70th do (the one which cost us an extra £500 for additional port!) where we had every rank from SAC to Air Chief Marshal all at the same dinner? And afterwards the £500 was recovered pro rata according to one's daily pay rate.....

BEagle
16th Jul 2006, 11:47
Incidentally, to settle the 1966 quiz argument, These Boots Were Made For Walkin' was sung by Nancy Sinatra, Frank's daughter!

Her first husband was Tommy Sands (who?) but they were divorced in 1965. So she didn't actually have a husband in 1966, let alone a famous one! Later remarried in 1970; after the death of her second husband, Phil Spector was a rumoured 'companion'.

She was Playboy magazine's nude centrefold in 1995 - at the age of 55......... :eek:

Oh and the January 1966 answer? In January 1966 the new Road Safety Bill was introduced. It set a limit of 80mg of alcohol in 100cc of blood and it became an offence to drive when over this limit.

And it was Pickles who found the Jules Rimet world cup!

6foottanker
17th Jul 2006, 13:19
Sadly out in the Deid with the other fine chaps and chappesses from 101, both groundies and aircrew. I think it safe to say we abused the 3 can rule sufficiently to almost make up for not being there on the night! Sorry we missed it, nice photos, looking forward to seeing some from the post-meal festivities. And now back to showing why the VC10 is still going strong after 40 years (the refuelling that is, not the govmt's lack of ability).

:D :D

bad livin'
17th Jul 2006, 13:40
Nutloose - may I also suggest you learn to spell and correctly punctuate your whining before committing it to public viewing?

BEagle
17th Jul 2006, 14:19
Well, personally may I suggest you don't bother, WitLess. Just $od off somewhere else instead.