PDA

View Full Version : US EMS Gossip!

SASless
10th Jul 2006, 18:43
Finally, the FAA is beginning to respond to death and mayhem in the EMS industry it appears......but with six fatal crashes in one year....what would the FAA consider "Serious safety issues"?

ThePittsburghChannel.com

* Video: Team 4: Medical Copter Restrictions

Team 4: Probe Leads To Medical Helicopter Restrictions
The following report by Team 4 investigator Paul Van Osdol first aired July 7, 2006, on WTAE Channel 4 Action News at 5 p.m.

The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating a local company that is one of the country's largest MedEvac operators -- a company with problems exposed by Team 4.

CJ Systems of West Mifflin operates throughout the country. Locally, it supplies pilots and helicopters for STAT MedEvac, which services UPMC and other area hospitals.

The investigation comes in the wake of six crashes by CJ Systems in the past year, including two in the past two months.

One crash happened May 30 as a CJ Systems helicopter was approaching a hospital in Washington, D.C. The patient on board was killed.

Just three weeks later, another CJ helicopter crashed in Florida.

Those accidents came after four other CJ Systems crashes last year -- none local -- that resulted in four deaths.

All of that prompted the FAA to launch an investigation. It's ongoing, but the FAA has already ordered CJ to restrict its operations.

A spokesman for the FAA said the company is now allowed to fly only under visual flight rules, meaning a minimum visibility of 3 miles.

Those restrictions caused concern for STAT MedEvac, which is CJ's biggest client and the dominant medical helicopter company in western Pennsylvania.

STAT has changed to a new operator at its bases in Greensburg and Cranberry. It is considering changes at other bases, including UPMC Passavant and Children's Hospital.

"Certainly, the restrictions that are placed upon CJ Systems have the potential for us not to be able to respond the way we need to respond, and that's why we made the change we made," STAT spokesman John Chamberlin told Team 4.

CJ Systems called the FAA investigation "a positive situation."

"We're working together with the FAA. It's a cooperative effort to make us and the industry safer," company spokesperson Sandy Koeppl said.

The FAA will not comment on the details of its findings thus far, but a spokesman said if the agency found truly serious safety problems at CJ, it would have grounded all its helicopters.

The FAA investigation should be completed in the next two months.

PANews
10th Jul 2006, 20:11
There really is little wonder that the US EMS industry is being looked at deeply.

On July 4 and Agusta A109E took off from a rooftop helipad and was alerted to the fact that the chocks were still in place on the roof [they are usually stowed to one side I guess] it was then that the 'driver' recalled that he had been in the middle of a post flight tie down when the latest call came in.... as a result when he popped off to check the weather he forgot that he had left the intake bungs in place.....

No wonder the TOT was high...

Anyway they landed on checked the 109 over and decided they got away with a disaster that time!

Seems sort of unlucky he did not get as far as the pitot cover and tie-downs... might have twigged it then!

ron-powell
10th Jul 2006, 20:13
Sasless:
I have just got to get my dude-a-tude wrapped around "Newspeak".
When having your butt scoped by the FAA is "a positive situation", I have to ask myself at what point did I diverge from the path to true enlightenment.
It's like CJ is saying, "Let's have a few crashes to bring attention to the industry because nothing else seems to be working."
Ron Powell

Devil 49
11th Jul 2006, 18:18
I'm not sure CJ has a unique safety issue, or just suffers from the same problems that plague the industry- and an incredible run on probabilities...

Night EMS runs are the major source of our (The industry's, I've never worked for CJ) safety problem. It doesn't matter if you're:
Twin or single-engine;
VFR or IFR;
Traditional or community-based business model, nights account for something on the order of three quarters of the accidents, while we fly approximately one third of our runs at night. My opinion is that we do the hardest part of our job while we're at our worst.
First, and most important issue- Scheduling for nights isn't done with any physiollogical consideration whatsoever. Scheduling night duty relies on the regulation requiring "10 hours of uninterrupted rest" and the pilot's own appraisal of mental condition. Jet lag, sleep-cycle disruption, whatever you call it, it's effects on intellect are comparable to alcohol, and absolutely ignored as a safety issue. I couldn't have a glass of wine and report for duty, but I'm allowed, no, REQUIRED to fly a 12-14 hour day shift on Sunday, and report for a 12-14 hour night shift on Monday. I saw the results of scheduling this way in Viet Nam, and I'm seeing it now- accidents at night out of proportion to the actual hours flown in the dark.
Next, the industy hasn't followed the military's lead in equipping for safe night flight and is only reluctantly adapting night vision goggles. If you fly helicopter EMS at night, you're going to land off-airport, and all the on-aircraft exterior illumination is a poor substitute for actually seeing the terrain, obstacles and weather outside of a spot of light and an educated guess. NVGs bring their own issues, but the military's soundly demonstrated their utility.

CJ may have safety issues, I don't know. The industry definitely does.

ron-powell
12th Jul 2006, 17:53
D49:
>I'm not sure CJ has a unique safety issue, or just suffers from the same >problems that plague the industry- and an incredible run on probabilities...

I agree and I hope you didn't take my cynical comment that way. I always find it interesting how people can put spin on things.

I also fly an Astar. It works well for us out here in New Mexico. But geez, the thing is heavy. Sasless reports that Air Methods now has an STC for a B407 auto-pilot, which I think we all agree would be a welcomed improvement. Wouldn't that be great in the Astar? But we'd be down to no range or patient carrying capability. At least we have NVGs.

Regarding your comment about shifts, I talked at length with our former program manager about this. And I consider his more enlightened than others I have worked with. My point, to get away from all night operations, would be to have two eight hour shifts, starting at 0600. The end of the second shift would be 2200, so even if the second shift pilot ran late - 2400, he/she would at least go home and sleep in his/her on bed and return to work the next day at 1400.

We looked at the number of flights that would have been impacted by a schedule such as this- flights originating after 2200. It was a significant number, but I recall it being less than 15%. Hard to justify still.

Ron Powell
PHI Air Medical
Albuquerque NM