PDA

View Full Version : A few questions for RN members

RByrne
10th Jul 2006, 18:29
How much weight does a good reference from your URNU CO carry at AIB?

Do you get hayfever at sea?

Any advice on extra-curricular activities to help achive my dream to FLYNavy? Currently play a couple of team sports and volounteer once a week as a football coach- even to the extent that i've gained coaching qualifications.

Thanks for any help!

Oh and a final question, what is recruitment like at the moment- are there many spaces? Ive been searching the forum and from the sounds of posts 18-24 months ago, that seemed to be a very favourable time to be applying.

MEON VALLEY FLYER
10th Jul 2006, 18:39
from what i hear there almost back to press gang times to fill the ranks and rates.
my ikle bros is still in and keeps getting chucked money to stay put.

as for the board. they will see if your a team player or not very easily. what they mainly want (cant think its changed) is a level headed person they can mould into what THEY want. but you always get one that wants to be king from day one and try and beast everyone else to hold him aloft.

just don't get drunk and try it on with every bit of skirt you see. that can wait until after you get a stripe :D

airborne_artist
10th Jul 2006, 18:48

Only if someone is feeding the seahorses.

proudfishead
10th Jul 2006, 19:45
A recommend from an URNU CO carries a fair weight with the AIB. However, it really serves as polish on top of a candidates performance and will not get you in if you fail to impress the board at least a small amount. That said, no-one that I ever gave a strong recommend to was ever failed at AIB.

In terms of the RN's recruitment - it varies from branch to branch. If you are thinking of joining as aircrew (which would be logical since you have posted on the military aircrew section of pprune) then yes, we are actively recruiting. We are not however, short of applicants.

The RN's aptitude score requirements are somewhat higher than those required by the RAF and Army Air Corps. We also put all pilots through a three week pilot grading course at Plymouth Airport (RNAS Yeovilton from December 06) which is basically a practical aptitude test. The reason for the RN's higher standards is that as of 2002 and the FAA is a solely single pilot flying organisation. Whilst you may fly multi-crew you will more than likely be the only pilot embarked.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me and I will endeavour to provide some answers.

FLY NAVY:ok:

PompeySailor
10th Jul 2006, 20:38
How much weight does a good reference from your URNU CO carry at AIB?

Any advice on extra-curricular activities to help achive my dream to FLYNavy? Currently play a couple of team sports and volounteer once a week as a football coach- even to the extent that i've gained coaching qualifications.

Thanks for any help!

Oh and a final question, what is recruitment like at the moment- are there many spaces? Ive been searching the forum and from the sounds of posts 18-24 months ago, that seemed to be a very favourable time to be applying.

Depends on the URNU CO. I would hardly expect to see a poor reference from an URNU CO, but a good reference from a respected CO would carry some weight, whereas a good reference from a CO borne for sport only would not help too much. The AIB depends greatly on your performance whilst there rather on the references you provide.

Hayfever at sea? Not as far as I am aware. When the WAFUs are determined to call a "flight deck" an "airfield", then I suppose there may be a slight risk from the delicate flowers that reside in the crew room.

Additional qualifications - you need to be a well-rounded individual. Having lots of healthy interests will stand you in good stead, especially when they involve taking charge of people or accepting a level of responsibility. Sailing qualifications, even in the age of steam, gas and molecules are regarded as useful.

Recruiting is in a permanent state of flux. Just do it.

airborne_artist
10th Jul 2006, 21:22
Have you had hay fever before? If so you do need to make sure your medical notes are as good as possible in advance - the RAF really won't hear of it, and the RN might not be too happy either.

vecvechookattack
10th Jul 2006, 22:50
I was always told by my Seadad that the only cure for Seasickness was to stand under a tree....So, yes, you do get Hayfever at sea.

RByrne
11th Jul 2006, 16:44
Thanks for the replies gents. Yes i'm hoping to join as aircrew. I do a lot more than the average student at my local URNU, but thought about making sacrifices elsewhere in my life to really give it my all and try and get a really good reference from my CO.

I've got really slight hayfever- a couple of sneezes during the summer. It will be recorded on my medical sheets though. If its meant to be its meant to be :ok:.

Thanks again!

RByrne
11th Jul 2006, 17:20
Also if anyone has any idea of the timescales involved in selection i would be very interested to hear those. From afco- AIB- Dartmouth.

Jimlad1
11th Jul 2006, 18:44
"How much weight does a good reference from your URNU CO carry at AIB?"

In my old role as CW officer I attended an AIB as an observer about 3 years ago. The board will look at the reports briefly, but more to provide background and give a chance to let them know what questions to ask. All the assessment is based on performance on the day and not prior experience.

I was impressed at how fair the system is, and how much they do want the candidates to pass!

airborne_artist
11th Jul 2006, 18:51
I doubt you will be able to beat my time frame of late November to early April, but that was >25 years ago, before we had computers.

Navaleye
11th Jul 2006, 19:03
I get Hay Fever of the grass pollen variety. Funnily enough I never got it once at sea.

sharmine
11th Jul 2006, 19:53
I suffered from hay fever for 30 years of my 35 year career and looked forward to deployments during the season as it cleared up. When abroad on detachments it also cleared up so it shows that it is UK pollen that I was affected by. May not apply to all. I am currently in texas where most folks suffer from allergies but I find it is very much reduced over being back in the UK.

Mine started off mildly but got worse as I got older and sometimes caused astma attacks which would not be good for aircrew. I know the forces don't recruit astma sufferers at all but mild hay fever:confused: .

bj