PDA

View Full Version : IL76 on approach to LHR 27R at 12.30pm 10 July 06

LHR_777
10th Jul 2006, 16:36
So, there I was surfin' on my laptop when I hear this huge roar from outside. I live in Hounslow, about 3 miles from the end of the runways at LHR. Expecting to see an aircraft performing a go-around, I'm surprised by a white IL76 on finals for 27R instead.

Anyone know anything else about it?

scudpilot
10th Jul 2006, 17:41
No idea about the IL76, but sorry about the living in Hounslow bit....

Just kidding, I grew up there!!!!

;)

zoink
10th Jul 2006, 17:52
credit to berksbirds over on Yahoo Groups

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/3658/7twiu3jp.jpg

Wycombe
10th Jul 2006, 19:25
Something to do with an Algerian VIP visit I understand.

The VIP's themselves will be in a more comfortable Gulfstream or two!

mini
10th Jul 2006, 23:44
The view from the nav pit on approach & landing in one of these is one of lifes true joys...:ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
11th Jul 2006, 06:45
I had to wind the lens out for that shot.. Here's one taken a few moments earlier:
http://www.brendan-mccartney.fotopic.net/p31474590.html

They are the most amazing machines.. I put an Iraqi one on the ILS one day and the aircraft behind was catching it up big time. When I checked the speed of the IL76 he said "96 knots". I still don't believe it, but I had to take drastic action with the one behind!!

myrtleman
11th Jul 2006, 10:23
yup - it was an amazing sight on approach to 27R. An Algerian Gulfstream 5
(7T-VPG) arrived this morning (Tuesday) carrying the VIPs.

Incidentally we also had the pleasure of a B727 at LHR yesterday (HZ-SKI), possibly all part of the same delegation.

Wonder if there are any other delights for us in store?

MM

Conor.P.M
11th Jul 2006, 11:09
I was sat in the SAS lounge at T3 yesterday afternoon waiting for my delayed fight to Copenhagen. I usually don't sit at the window but I did yesterday (you get an interesting view of the Southern runway, but after you've watched the 10th BA A319 take off you start to lose interest).

However just after 1pm I happened to glace up and was sunned to see that IL-76 taxi past T3 on it's way cross the southern runway to park between T4 and the BA Cargo centre. I did manage to take this picture as it went past. Apologies for the quality, all I had to hand was my Treo and like most Phones/PDA's with a camera it's not great.

http://www.conorm.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/Photo_071006_001.jpg

That blob behind the SAS MD-80 is the IL76!

By the time my flight eventually left (about 7pm), it had moved back to the other side of the airfield and was parked on one of the stands parallel and next to the Northern runway between the Terminal 1/2/3 and 5. (Where the El-Al aircraft are frequently parked)

I thought these aircraft weren't allow to fly in European airspace because of noise/emissions issues? Is this incorrect or are they given dispensation for diplomatic reasons?

Talkdownman
11th Jul 2006, 12:41
we also had the pleasure of a B727 at LHR yesterday (HZ-SKI), possibly all part of the same delegation.Nah, unlikely. HZ-SKI, ex-P4-SKI, is a regular. She 'lives' at Lasham and pops into LHR to do the occasional pick-up.

AlphaWhiskyRomeo
11th Jul 2006, 21:50
I thought these aircraft weren't allow to fly in European airspace because of noise/emissions issues? Is this incorrect or are they given dispensation for diplomatic reasons?

Generally are allowed permissions for humanitarian and diplomatic reasons - though some EU Airports are still allowed to accept them.

ALLDAYDELI
12th Jul 2006, 09:07
Heard a rumour about this last night. Its said to depart 1930 local tonight, can anyone verify? Where is it parked currently?

BRISTOLRE
13th Jul 2006, 08:15
It departed raucasly at 2315LT last night from 27R.
Unusual to hear "line up behind the IL76" on the twr frequency.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Jul 2006, 15:05
<<Unusual to hear "line up behind the IL76" on the twr frequency.>>

Odds on that the writer of that remark is a pilot, eh lads? And we all know why don't we???

ALLDAYDELI
13th Jul 2006, 15:20
HD, spill the beans then? What do you mean. Why r u so sure that he's a pilot? Works for Virgin somewhere.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
13th Jul 2006, 17:53
Alldaydeli... Did I say he was a pilot? However, check his profile. Controllers would say "After the departing xxx line up". "Line up behind..." is a potentially dangerous phrase.

That's all...

Talkdownman
16th Jul 2006, 14:38
<<Unusual to hear "line up behind the IL76" on the twr frequency.>>
Odds on that the writer of that remark is a pilot, eh lads? And we all know why don't we???Because a UK ATCO would get a very black mark for putting the condition after the instruction, and for using the word 'behind'. HD, what was it that the Britannia blew over 'behind' which caused UK to file an ICAO difference? Was it a Travelair?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Jul 2006, 15:31
TDM... I believe it was Mr Raffles..?

Talkdownman
16th Jul 2006, 17:39
TDM... I believe it was Mr Raffles..?Yeah, that's what I thought.Thanks.