PDA

View Full Version : Convert UK PPL to full Canadian license

CBG
10th Jul 2006, 16:24
I have a UK PPL and given that I travel to canada a lot, I'd like to get a Canadian license. I know that I can get a Canadian license on the back of the UK PPL by doing the PSTAR exam (the Canadian license would remain valid as long as the UK one is). However, Transport Canada's website indicate that it is possible to obtain a full Canadian license by "taking a written exam". A bit confusing...and I don't seem to be able to get anyone on the phone at Transport Canada.

Can anyone help?

Croqueteer
10th Jul 2006, 19:16
:) I did this a few years ago, you have to do Canadian aviation law so that you know that you cannot fly over a herd of Carriboo at less than 2000ft, and also something about a roof painted yellow and black stripes. I passed, but did not go ahead as you require a Canadian medical valid 12 months costing then £60, whereas a temp licence only cost £30 valid for 3 months with no exams. A 172 out of Dorval was cheap, and the flying thoroughly enjoyable. I'm off there on Wed.

Red Top Comanche
10th Jul 2006, 20:52
I am over in Canada in September.

Whats involved in getting a temp licence.

RTC

:) :} :)

Croqueteer
10th Jul 2006, 21:00
:) Just go to the local Nav Canada office with all your docs, I went to the Dorval office. I have also remembered, the yellow and black striped roof is a mink farm, min ht over is 2000ft. The P3 generator on a Shackleton weighs 56lbs. At 65, my mind is full of irelevant s--t.

ChrisVJ
11th Jul 2006, 03:24
Unless you are planning family outings you may care to get a "Recreational pilot permit." Restriction is four seat plane but max two on board. Simple planes only ( but you can fly float planes and amphibians, need an endorsement to carry passengers when landing on water.) The medical is a class one, ie. self declared fitness in front of appropriate doctor. (About 30 GPB somethings!) I'm not sure about the current UK requirements for PPL but in Canada it requires 5 hrs practical instrument flying (under the hood.) If your UK licence does not include this they will not issue PPL unless you can show you have qualified (eg. CFI's signature on instrument time in log book.) I have been flying on a RP permit for pour years, no hassle at all.

Red Top Comanche
11th Jul 2006, 19:55
Chris/Croqueteer
Many Thanks
I have PPL SEP/IMC, I fly a Comanche 260b so it sounds like I just need to track down the right office in Toronto.
Does it have to be in person or can i do it all in advance,
RTC
:) :) :)