PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Footwear

sicky
9th Jul 2006, 18:28
I often see job descriptions where it says you need to provide your own footwear to go with the uniform, and reccommend "any suitable rubber soled shoes"

Just did a search and couldn't find any info, so was just wondering if suitable means literally just any smart shoes with rubber soles or if they need toe caps or anything like that?

The reason i ask that is that going airside at the airport i work, and i assume any airport, requires protective footwear, but i'm unsure whether they're suitable for flying in :p

scroggs
9th Jul 2006, 18:54
Do not buy any shoes with metal in them, either in the sole or the toecap. You'll forever be having to remove them at security checks because they'll set the metal detectors off.

Scroggs

Hufty
9th Jul 2006, 20:11
I have a couple of pairs I use - just a normal pair of Clarks black leather shoes and a pair of brogues.

One has rubber soles the other leather but they are both fine as long as they aren't slippery on the rudder pedas and don't get excessivery slippery if you step in de-icing fluid or something like that.

As scroggs says, don't get metal ones - unless you plan to use a particularly heavy pen ;)

Just make sure they are comfortable as you wil be wearing them for hours at a time!

flyingcamel
10th Jul 2006, 22:17
Personally I wear a pair of plain Black leather Rockport shoes. Very comfortable as have all sorts of cushioning and gave me no problems even from brand new (no wearing in required.) Just comfy feet all overthe show. The catch? £80.

Camel

cavortingcheetah
11th Jul 2006, 06:46
:hmm:

For years I have worn a pair of heavy rubber soled, steel toecapped black leather shoes. I bought them at one of those builders clothing shops where you buy yellow puffer jackets. I have one of those as well.
Kitted out with these two items, winter night flying holds no weather inconvenience at all. The shoes are indestructible and completely protect one's toes from stumbles over sharp objects in the dark. I have never really had a problem with security over them but I must admit that security is only going airside once every duty day.
These days it might actually be best to have two pairs of pilot shoes, one for winter and one rather lighter pair? I did once, in Africa, have to fly wearing gum boots. It was not an easy thing to do.:)

Piltdown Man
11th Jul 2006, 14:53
Dr Martens are the most comfortable shoes I have ever worn. I keep two pairs on the go. My last pair was purchased 12 years ago and are still going strong! They cost 37 quid - cheap in anybody's terms!

(Whenever you want advice as to what shoes are comfortable, just look at what coppers wear!)

redsnail
11th Jul 2006, 17:10
When I was working out in the great Aussie bush I wore Doc Martens. Excellent shoes for the job. The thick sole kept my delicate tootsies away from the burning hot tarmac. Also they could take a reasonable amount of abuse.

When I left that job I switched to the ever trusty RM Williams (Australian) riding boots. I have used 3 pairs in well over 10 years. Only reason for changing them was the first pair got seriously battered in the outback. The second pair took a caning as well. They hadn't worn out and had a lot of life left in them but when I got the job on the bizjet they just didn't quite look elegant enough any more.

Now I use a pair of RM's that have a rubber sole that is pretty hard wearing and non slip. The leather uppers are double lined and very comfortable indeed. The inner sole has now molded to my foot and are extremely comfortable. Being a single piece of leather they are practically waterproof and polish up nicely.

They aren't cheap but they do last and look very good.

Whirlygig
11th Jul 2006, 17:27
I'll echo redsnail's recommendation of jodphur boots - they're all I'll wear flying! They can be smart, leather and rubber soled and if you go to a saddlers a heck of a lot cheaper that chelsea boots of the same style bought in a shoe shop.

Cheers

Whirls

helicopter-redeye
11th Jul 2006, 19:54
jodphur boots - they're all I'll wear flying!

ALL ?

h-r;)

Maude Charlee
11th Jul 2006, 21:47
Any smart black shoes will do - there is no such thing as 'pilot' shoes (although I'm sure somebody somewhere will try and sell you some regular shoes with an outrageous markup and call them 'pilot' shoes). :rolleyes:

If you really feel you need protective footwear, there are now shoes/boots with ceramic toe caps which will not present any problems at security screening.

Zyox
12th Jul 2006, 10:37
Hey all,

I'm just about to start my PPL training over in Canda and fully intend to wear a pair of black Vans :) Comfort and stylee.

Tried them with a suit and tux before, looks well slick ;)

AWYRCYMRY
12th Jul 2006, 20:44
Whenever i go flying i wear a pair of Army and navy type shoes and yes i do find the time to polish them to the point that i see my self that well i dont use the mirrors in the house :} :} :} . But thats me i like to set an element of standard.:} :} :}

Fish Out of Water
14th Jul 2006, 10:12
I don't particularly go for the squaddie clodhoppers that a lot seem to wear - like thinner soles, so a nice italian number does me the trick (plus the girls like them ;) . Same as when I'm driving, like to feel the pedals rather than have them 2 inches from the sole of my foot - like to be at one with the a/c you see! :yuk:

ATCO1987
14th Jul 2006, 17:21
As for setting metal detectors off...in the UK the new DfT standard AMD's include random activations. At Bristol our metal detectors activate at Random for 20% of the people that pass through it. So you will never escape!

B2N2
15th Jul 2006, 01:38
I fly barefoot....:ok:
flip flops when crossing a hot ramp..:eek: