PDA

View Full Version : Advice for service pilot entering commercial flying

starshiptrooper
8th Jul 2006, 11:53
Hi there, and pre-thankyou for your help !

I'm leaving the forces in a few months with 1200hrs (SK, Lynx & Squirrel) but possibly looking to take 6 month-9 months off before looking for work. The advice that I have been given so far is that amount of time off flying will severly hamper my chance of getting a job ...it that true ??

I have a ATPL (A) and (H), just theory at the moment. Is it my understanding that alot of helicopter firms will pay for the IR rating ?

Also what are average pay rates per sector....i.e. Oil rigs, police/ambulance, private etc.

Any help or advice is much appreciated

Thankyou

MBJ
8th Jul 2006, 18:26
You've had excellent free training and probably worthwhile hours including night, formation, load-lifting etc but you won't walk into any job in civvy street. There are lots of very determined people who have paid their own way to a CPL and who know the hirers personally. They will have more hours, too which the insurers like.

Taking a chunk of time off indicates lack of motivation (in my view) and may well work against you. Depends a bit on what you want to do with your time off? e.g. Walking across the Sahara=good - cracking tinnies in front of TV=bad!

I also doubt that there is anyone onshore who will pay for your instrument rating. The offshore guys may, depending on how keen they are at any given moment. Still, you don't really need one unless you want to fly corporate twins or offshore.

Suggest you read Heli-data for jobs, I don't think many operators advertise in "Flight" any more...and put yourself about. Go visit, drink coffee with people - most of us started the way you are and are happy to chat. Just remember that 1200 hours and a military background is very "first-rung" and indicates that you may be a competent aircraft handler, but you are not the answer to a civvy operators dreams!

As to pay rates say £35K for a charter pilot, £45k for police, £55 for heavy -duty corporate. Offshore more in the end but not too high when starting.

Sorry, re-reading that sounds a bit downbeat but its fun out here really!

starshiptrooper
8th Jul 2006, 19:28
MBJ....thanks for the advice.

I'm actually hoping to get a job in Africa flying for a bit, but my overall plan it to get into offshore eventually, money and lifestyle reasons (mainly lifestyle)

Letsby Avenue
8th Jul 2006, 21:09
You can't beat 'face time'... Let people know who you are and what you want. I spent the last few years landing my Lynx on other people's doorstep and saying hello. It worked for me.:)

N Arslow
8th Jul 2006, 21:48
Definitely who you know is key so as the advice is saying - get yourself around, and look up former colleagues!!

1200 hrs and leaving - wow - seems low; or was it so long ago that I left? I guess so. But how many hours are the military flying on average per year nowadays?

chuteless
8th Jul 2006, 23:45
MBJ
walking across the sahara is a good way of spending six-nine months ?
I think i'd rather fly with the guy who just drank a few tinnies at night
IMHO
:ok:
Starshiptrooper like they all say it's who you know
get out there and use your 6 months to drink some coffee and get your face known
some companies still like ex forces guys no matter what the TT

always smiling
chuteless

jayteeto
9th Jul 2006, 07:34
MBJ... 45k for police?? Should I be asking for a VERY large pay rise???

oldbeefer
9th Jul 2006, 08:40
In my experience, 1200 hours would be considered very low time and would not bring forth much in the way of offers (unless you would be happy to work in some godforsaken spot that no one else is prepared to!).

Letsby Avenue
9th Jul 2006, 10:02
Or a large pay cut....;)

starshiptrooper
9th Jul 2006, 10:26
It seems like I may have more chance crossing the Sahara than getting a job from the gist of most of these posts !!!

IrishSarBoy
9th Jul 2006, 10:59
Don't be too down hearted, but the old saying 'it's who you know and not what you know' is very true out here in big bad civi-land. Try giving old mates that have taken the plunge ahead of you a call, they'll know the score and I'm sure they'll want to help. As for pay scales, again don't be to optimistic, I took a substantial pay cut when I left the mob but I then flew my arse off for two years and doubled my hours before going onto better pastures! Good luck.

HillerBee
9th Jul 2006, 11:02
You are 31 years old, have your ATPL(H) and 1200 hours. There would be absolutely no problem finding a job. Certainly overseas. If you would consider working in the USA in the GOM they are waiting for you with open arms, and will sponsor you for a visa. Salary starts around $50k.

But don't let everybody put you of on this quite negative sounding thread.

Camp Freddie
9th Jul 2006, 11:19
Mr Hillerbee,

this is interesting what you say about being sponsored for visa in GOM,
as I know someone with maybe 4000 hours who contacted PHI, and asked them that exact same question and they told him flat they didnt do it.

I know there are other companies like ERA, but has anyone got first hand knowledge of them doing this as anecdotal evidence tells me the exact opposite :confused:

regards

CF

thecontroller
9th Jul 2006, 11:53
1200 hours, all turbine? - seems like a VERY good place to be in if you ask me...

starshiptrooper
9th Jul 2006, 13:07
My morale rating has recovered into positive territory now, the walk across the Sahara looks less likely !!! thks for the positive comments !!

AusWhirlyBusDriver
11th Jul 2006, 23:59
I would be most suprised if you coudn't get a look in flying in Africa offshore at the moment (Bristow/CHC?). If you can put up with the time away, there seem to be plenty of options down that way at present. Good luck!
Regards,
AWBD