PDA

View Full Version : ATPL(H) after 3 years, no IR

g-mady
8th Jul 2006, 08:23
I have searched the other threads and dont know if its in LASORS...

Having obtained an ATPL(H), what happens after 3 years if you dont obtain an IR.
Does it just revert back to a CPL(H), no exams required?
Or as some others have said...licence back to square one, you have to do all CPL exams?

Please...Somebody who knows help explain.

G-MADY

HillerBee
8th Jul 2006, 08:47
If you pass the ATPL theoretical exams, you don't have an ATPL. Some people called it a 'frozen' atpl but in reality that doesn't exist. The CAA didn't issue you a license stating "Frozen ATPL".

So you will only get an ATPL if you have passed you IR flight test. And that will be clearly stated on your license.

Bravo73
8th Jul 2006, 08:47
Under JAR, you can't have an ATPL(H) without an IR (or multi-crew time).

FYI, it was different under the old CAA system. (ie it was possible to have an ATPL(H) without an IR). Also, 'ATPL theory credits' are different to actually holding an 'Airline Transport Pilot Licence'.

And, yes, the answer is in LASORS.

Whirlygig
8th Jul 2006, 13:23
If you have passed the ATPL(H) exams and have the theory credits and pass a CPL flying skills test, you have a CPL. If you do not get an IR within the three years (plus other hours requirements), then you lose the theory credits for the IR.

As far as I am aware, you would have to resit the 6 IR related exams again if you came to get an Instrument Rating.

Then, (and I have a feeling this is a grey area but has been discussed here before), the CPL/IR (with appropriate hours and multi-crew experience) can be "converted to an ATPL.

Cheers

Whirls

norunway
8th Jul 2006, 14:23
After completing all 13 atpl exams you have 3 years from the date of last exam passed to gain your cpl(h),if you want to gain an IR this also has to be done within this time period otherwise if you currently hold a cpl(h) and have not completed IR within this time period you are required to resit 7 of the throey exams again.If you posses a cpl(h) and an IR there is no time limit on gaining an ATPL(H) as long as your IR is current you are deemed to have ATPL knowledge and once you have met the requirements ie:multicrew time etc you can apply for your ATPL without having to pass any other theory exams.
Hope that clears up some misconceptions.:)

chris59
8th Jul 2006, 17:47
Just had the same conversation with the CAA and they referred me to Lassors Section J1.7 .Hope this helps:)

Lightning_Boy
9th Jul 2006, 12:28
Thought you had something like 7 years to get 500 hrs multicrew time or it reverts back to a CPL/IR again?

norunway
10th Jul 2006, 11:34
If you do not renew your IR within 7 years it reverts back to a cpl(h)

thecontroller
31st Jul 2006, 12:15
see below. says that the amount of theory instruction is at the discretion of the FTO. can anyone point to the part in LASORS that says exactly which 7 exams you need to re-sit??

>>>
J1.7 JAR-FCL THEORETICAL KNOWLEDGE
EXAMINATION ACCEPTANCE PERIOD
Potential candidates for the JAR-FCL ATPL theoretical
knowledge examinations should first consider the
implications of JAR-FCL 1.495 or 2.495 that relates to
the Acceptance Period.
A pass in the ATPL theory examinations will be
accepted for the issue of a CPL or IR during the 36
months from the end of the month of the date of the final
pass in the examinations. Provided that an IR is
obtained during this period, a pass in the ATPL
theoretical knowledge examinations will remain valid
(for the purpose of ATPL issue) for a period of 7 years
from the validity date of the most recent renewal IR
entered in the CPL.
Failure to comply with Acceptance Period
If a CPL and IR are not granted within the 36 month
acceptance period then the ATPL theory credit will
lapse. Candidates will be required to re-pass all ATPL
theoretical knowledge examinations to regain ATPL
theory credit. However, it has been agreed that where
a candidate has previously passed all ATPL theoretical
knowledge examinations but were not granted a CPL/
IR within the 36 month acceptance period, the amount
of ATPL theoretical knowledge instruction will be at the
discretion of the Head of Training of the Approved FTO.

kissmysquirrel
31st Jul 2006, 12:25
Norunway has it correct. Having just had to do the 7 IR theory exams, it's a set course. Contact GTS, Bournemouth, as they do the course. I believe there is only a couple of course providers for IR theory in the UK.

As for the ATPL theoretical knowledge instruction discretion, I believe this refers to exactly that, and not 'which' exams. The full IR course exams have to be sat but the amount of study required is at the discretion of the FTO. Basically means that you don't have to complete the 500hours or whatever ground school attendance before sitting the exams.
:ugh:

paco
31st Jul 2006, 12:35
The current CPL(H) will be an ATPL(VFR) in early 2007 if all goes well, so you can have an ATP without an IR. It will be substantially the same level of knowledge.

Phil

thecontroller
31st Jul 2006, 12:40
i see. but will have still have the daft "3 year" rule?

i wonder how many high time VFR pilots are out there who want to do an IR but are outside the 3 year period? i'm willing to bet a lot. i know of 4 personally.

seems like another stupid rule to extract more money from us

Stringfellow Dork
31st Jul 2006, 14:07
The current CPL(H) will be an ATPL(VFR) in early 2007 if all goes well...
Phil

Would you be kind enough to elaborate?

Cheers.

autoranger
1st Aug 2006, 00:15
I think that Paco is referring to the NPA 25 amendments due to kick in in early 2007 - and I right? Do we know exactly when in 2007?

:cool: :cool: