PDA

View Full Version : Flight School Simulators

34'
8th Jul 2006, 07:47
Hi All.

I'm doing some investigations regarding helicopter flight simulators for a flight school.

Are any of you out there using a sim, expect a R22 sim the most useful, and if so do you have any contact/web details for us to look at. Instead of us just doing the 'Google' thing and hopeing we'd like to know what schools are ACTUALLY using.

Thanks for the help chaps and chapesses ;)

34'

Flyting
8th Jul 2006, 14:12
In South Africa... Hover Dynamic and I think Starlite Aviation

farmpilot
8th Jul 2006, 14:23
Anything more advanced in SA than a 22 sim that a PPL could use?

paco
8th Jul 2006, 14:31
PM Shawn Coyle.

Phil

8th Jul 2006, 16:04
http://www.heliflightuk.co.uk/challenge.htm

Something towards the bottom of the page.

2Sticks
8th Jul 2006, 19:24
Helicopter Services at Booker (Wycombe Air Park), UK, have just invested in an impressive new helicopter sim (two place plus instructor position at rear). It's a professional piece of kit that they were getting approved for IR training that would be accepted as 'hours flown', so to speak. Might be worth giving them a call. (+44 (0)1494 513166)
Cheers
2Sticks

Flingingwings
8th Jul 2006, 21:47
The Helicopter Services FNPT2 Sim HAS been approved for IR training.
It's an impressive piece of kit and well worth popping in to see if you're passing.

SIM1
16th Jul 2006, 09:01
Hi All.

I'm doing some investigations regarding helicopter flight simulators for a flight school.

Are any of you out there using a sim, expect a R22 sim the most useful, and if so do you have any contact/web details for us to look at. Instead of us just doing the 'Google' thing and hopeing we'd like to know what schools are ACTUALLY using.

Thanks for the help chaps and chapesses ;)

34'

If you have the money!! You can fly AS 365 Dauphin, EC 155, AS332L1 & L2 in FFS level D. at Marseille Provence Airport in France.
Contact HELISIM.net

Patrick_Waugh
16th Jul 2006, 22:35
www.geosim.com.au (http://www.pprune.org/forums/www.geosim.com.au)

Shawn Coyle
19th Jul 2006, 15:41
At the risk of this sounding like advertising - one of the things that you have to consider for any 'simulator' is what are you going to use it for? If you want to use if for training leading to a licence of any sort, it needs to be approved by your regulatory authority.
Outside the Advanced Aviation Training Device (AATD) approval in the USA, this approval has to be applied for by the operator, who must then demonstrate that it meets some detailed criteria.
From experience, I can tell you that the process of approval is neither quick nor simple.
Without the approval, you can still do a lot of neat things, and get a lot of learning out of a device, but you won't get any credit towards your licence.
And without the credits, 'proper' flight schools aren't really interested.

Avnx EO
20th Jul 2006, 03:31
You need to check out FRASCA in Champagne/Urbana Illinois. I was just there last week and they do a great job for reasonable bucks. Lots of choices for visual systems. Most of the helo stuf is fixed base. From the looks of their factory floor, they do about half and half rotary and fixed wing. They've got 206s, 407s, R22/44s, and some of that EC stuff. They also have a "generic" cab that can be swapped over between R22 type controls or conventional controls. On the fixed wing side, they have everthing from a piper warrior, to a Cirrus with the Garmin G-1000 suite, to a level-6 Canadair CRJ. They supply a lot of university-type flight academy programs.

Avnx EO

Oh, and by the way, the owner has one fantastic private collection of warbirds. It's worth the trip just to see that.