PDA

View Full Version : JFO Suicide attempt?

The Messiah
8th Jul 2006, 01:19
Anyone have any info about a JFO about 2 months ago who tried to top themselves in Tung Chung after a failed check?

Is it a nasty rumour or fact?

Oasis
8th Jul 2006, 20:46
I heard about an so trying to do that , not in tung chung though....
Sad, isn't it?

Re-entry
8th Jul 2006, 20:49
It is a fact, sadly.

AAIGUY
9th Jul 2006, 04:30
There was a jumper off one of the TungChung buildings a month ago, but I believe he was local.

sizematters
9th Jul 2006, 08:27
thats why they now call it "Slashers bar" in tung chung...................

JSB
10th Jul 2006, 17:21
Hey "Messiah", it's the PP "rumour" (not gossip) network; I find this thread bordering on the offensive. No respect. :suspect:

jtr
10th Jul 2006, 22:09
I find this thread bordering on the offensive. No respect. :suspect:

I find "Russian Lesbo Nuns with Donkeys Weekly" offensive. That's why I don't open it.
Title makes it pretty clear what is inside.

Well done on pushing the thread to the top though:D

Freehills
11th Jul 2006, 09:37
I find "Russian Lesbo Nuns with Donkeys Weekly" offensive. That's why I don't open it.
Title makes it pretty clear what is inside.
Well done on pushing the thread to the top though:D

Quite. The nuns are clearly Ukrainian Catholics, not Russian Orthodox, and the mislabeling of any Slav as Russian is ignorant and offensive

Team America
12th Jul 2006, 01:22
As far as I know, was a guy who didn't pass the F/O freighter conversion so they offered him a S/O spot.

Had a few drinks in the bar in TC and then......

Was good of the company to offer him S/O, it is really not that bad a job, someone should have told him, more cash than a Freighter F/O.

Mr. Bloggs
12th Jul 2006, 03:46
Should have went "Postal" on the 3rd and 9th floor and did us all a favour.

Busbert
12th Jul 2006, 06:34
I guess we will be drinking out of plastic glasses at The Aviator then?
:ouch:

cpdude
12th Jul 2006, 14:08
This thread has gone from bad taste to retarded!:D :mad:

Yeager
17th Jul 2006, 03:46
How sad, if true. I was just wondering who did his linecheck?

Take it easy out there.
Y

Oasis
17th Jul 2006, 04:04
I don't see why this topic should be disturbing or retarded, cp dude.
It's a fact of life that there can be a lot of pressure on people, self-imposed or otherwise. Some people drink, some snap, some just cope with it.
In hong kong,I even saw a therapist in the paper-ads, advertising treatment of "command training stress".
Maybe some are taking their jobs a little too seriously.

electricjetjock
17th Jul 2006, 04:34
There are lots of stresses in this "Aviation" life and we have to learn to cope with the ups and downs. However, I would be concerned over the "mental state" of any pilot in the cockpit who had attempted to end it all because of a bad check, if that were really the case. Would they "loose" the plot if they made an error during a flight and we then ended up with an accident and the loss of many lives. Thats why the doctors look at our mental as well as physical health and it is mandated in law in the ANO.

The Messiah
21st Jul 2006, 01:54
JSB

Why is it offensive and who am I supposed to be respecting?

sizematters
21st Jul 2006, 03:12
no worries about my mental health.....................

'cos I'm a squirrel !!!!

CruisingSpeed
21st Jul 2006, 19:20
electricjetjock: There are lots of stresses in this "Aviation" life and we have to learn to cope with the ups and downs. However, I would be concerned over the "mental state" of any pilot in the cockpit who had attempted to end it all because of a bad check, if that were really the case. Would they "loose" the plot if they made an error during a flight and we then ended up with an accident and the loss of many lives. Thats why the doctors look at our mental as well as physical health and it is mandated in law in the ANO.
Very interesting, how do they test mental health on your annual medical to comply with the cited ANO requirements then?
“Take this cup to the loo please, now there’s a good fella… ” :}
Seriously though, there is some anxiety one is better off without in aviation, locally induced by the attitude police, star chambers or suchlike… :hmm:

6-String
22nd Jul 2006, 12:47
So first he fails his check, and then he fails to commit suicide..? :}

Oasis
22nd Jul 2006, 22:37
Perhaps better than the other way around?

sisyphos
23rd Jul 2006, 00:31
There couldn't be a better demonstration of the social impact of an unfair,degrading,insultive and depressing system like the cx training methods on a company culture than the two previous posts.

airbus2boeing
23rd Jul 2006, 11:03
This remind me of a pilot from my previous airline in the USA. The guy died from brain annurism after his aural test.

Pointer
23rd Jul 2006, 17:27
Give it a rest people, what's the matter? is bashing RYR getting a bit tiresome? need some new story to chase?

its becomming an URBAN LEGEND, i am pretty close to the source, trust me... you are chasing the wrong rabbit here

But..! don't let the truth get in the way of a good story though :hmm:

Pointer

6-String
23rd Jul 2006, 17:49
... i am pretty close to the source, trust me...

Sure thing; Doctor Goldfinger..! :yuk:

sisyphos
24th Jul 2006, 05:04
the point is : it doesn`t matter if it is true or not. ( I hope it isn`t)

what does matter is that obviously many believe it could be true.

CruisingSpeed
24th Jul 2006, 22:50
There was a time when I was in a very similar situation, however, with some luck and determination I managed to pull it together and leave Hong Kong to move on to a better place. Sadly there are many local pilots caught up in this system without employment options elsewhere, I really feel for them. :(

N1 Vibes
29th Jul 2006, 02:18
There is one huge area of pressure that has failed to be explored here. Peer pressure.

Perhaps next time you hear Hong Kong based 'aviation professionals' having a negative gossip about somebody failing to achieve a certain level of command, like it was a bragging contest, either in the lift in CX City/Dragonair House, on the S64/S1 bus, at the Gay Bar, Aviator Bar or even the DB bus - this could feedback to the person in question, think about how might this make them feel.....

Sorry if this ranks as abusive or offensive to a certain corner of the aviation community. But, bitching and backbiting can have a very serious effect on somebody's mental health. :mad:

6-String
29th Jul 2006, 14:54
So what's the deal, does he get a second try? And how about on his checkride? :E

sizematters
29th Jul 2006, 14:58
yes surely they'll give him a go to see if he can "Cut it" on the line check ???