PDA

View Full Version : 2 Minutes Silence - ATC implications?

EyesToTheSkies
7th Jul 2006, 17:40
I heard that there would be no take offs or landings at any of the London airports today for 2 minutes either side of the official 2 minutes silence in rememberance of those killed and injured in the London bombings last year.

Departures (I would imagine) are less of an issue, but how do you achieve this silence at the thresholds for the inbound traffic? Once around the hold? How much does it mess things up in the ops room?

Lassie
7th Jul 2006, 19:51
It wasn't just London airports trying to join the 2 minute silence and it isn't easy to achieve. As a general rule aircraft sent to the hold and given an EAT and no aircraft started on the ground. Of course that doesn't stop the little guy is his cessna calling up right in the middle of it!

eastern wiseguy
7th Jul 2006, 21:57
In the past we have put an announcement on the ATIS stating that we would (where possible) be joining in the silence but understanding that operational requirements come first. Most people joined in as best as possible.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Jul 2006, 18:31
Arranging a gap of x minutes in the landing stream is a doddle and any radar controller should be able to do that with ease. It's no more difficult that timing the first lander after a night "curfew", for example, and that is done every day at many airports with great precision. It doesn't mess up anything..

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
11th Jul 2006, 09:15
Are these arrangements normally applied to the November Armistice silence as well?

EyesToTheSkies
11th Jul 2006, 16:57
I think there is the same intention for the November Armistice silence every year. In fact, I've been meaning to ask the question for a couple of years!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
12th Jul 2006, 07:16
Yes, there are other "quiet" times too - when there are major ceremonies in London, for example. However, all the planning in the world couldn't stop a large German Army helicopter appearing over the Cenotaph during the silent period, as older Heathrow ATCOs will recall (eh, Joe???)