PDA

View Full Version : QUESTIONS IN THE HOUSE

KPax
7th Jul 2006, 15:21
I have taken this from ARRSE however is there not a better way of doing this.

Mr. Nicholas Soames (Mid-Sussex) (Con): wrote:
I want to mention some very particular points. I want the Minister, if he would be so kind, to examine with care how we deploy our troops out of this country. The standard of service provided by the Royal Air Force is not nearly good enough. My noble Friend Lord Astor raised the matter in the Lords last week, and I know that my hon. Friend the Member for Aldershot (Mr. Howarth) has raised it with the Chief of the Air Staff. It is frankly inexcusable—I repeat inexcusable—that soldiers going to and from active duty should be treated in such a deplorable and casual manner. There is a form of insanity in the MOD that seems to permit that to happen.

Why should soldiers, who have been carefully vetted and highly trained and who are on their way to operational duties in extremely dangerous parts of the world, have to turn up at RAF Brize Norton 12 hours before they take off? It is absolutely absurd. How is it possible that young men and women, who, having completed the most arduous tours, may be back on brief periods of leave, should find themselves having to sit around Basra airport, sometimes for several days, in gross conditions and with inadequate facilities when they have a confirmed flight, simply because there is no seat for them? It is unacceptable, and the Minister has it in his power to fix the matter, which is what he needs to do.

FFP
7th Jul 2006, 15:23
Why should soldiers, who have been carefully vetted and highly trained and who are on their way to operational duties in extremely dangerous parts of the world, have to turn up at RAF Brize Norton 12 hours before they take off?

One word. . . . .Movers.:E

I'm sure 12 hrs is a bit of an exaggeration. 4 maybe . . ..

South Cerney want to process them first. Suggest they start there rather than Brize.

But I agree. It is w@nk.

vecvechookattack
7th Jul 2006, 15:35
Totally agree. The MOD have nothing to do with this (they could sort it out though) it is entirely the fault of the movers.....sack the lot of 'em

dallas
7th Jul 2006, 16:07
Much as it is good sport to blame Movers, I think we need to be more specific. The South Cerney bit with the Army Class Departure Lounge (a hangar) is principally an Army-run facility. Moroever, the pre-departure fcuk around factor of checking-in 12+ hours before is an Army-inspired idea for unit moves, allowing the 8/12th Foot & Mouth to assemble and process as one (as per their TV ad I suppose).

This saves the Brize terminal from being clogged-up with squaddies - bearing in mind Brize only has capacity for one delayed set of passengers and regularly delays far more aircraft than that - and should allow said Foot & Mouthers a fairly smooth passage to the Gateway for 48hrs while they wait for a jet.

A 12hr pre-flight check-in is merely a pimple on the arse that is military AT - they'll have lots more delay opportunities after South Cerney, which is the bit Lords and MPs need to get their teeth into.