PDA

View Full Version : Son's imminent trip Gatwick-Wichita

1859sqn
7th Jul 2006, 06:56
(apologies if in wrong section of PPRuNe.)

My 18 yr old son flies out next Friday 14th via Continental airlines for a four week stay in Wichita ,with a 2 hr stop-over in Houston.Last leg is with Expressjet who I understand are affiliated to Continental.
Would appreciate any tips/advice etc. eg: What are Continental and Expressjet like to fly with? I've only used Virgin, AA and United myself.

Many thanks.

Ace Rimmer
7th Jul 2006, 07:55
In truth CO are not wildly different VS or AA down the back the seat pitch is a bit mingey (especially if you are over 6ft) but really it's all much of a muchness. On arrival in Houston which can be a reletively pleasant or cr@p experience depending on the time of day (hint the earlier of the two arrivals is better) he will need to do the claim bag/clear customs/ recheck bag process which is pretty straight forward (although it never ceases to amaze me how many people are confused by the concept). Then probably there will be a terminal change (from D/E) to B (the majority of Express Jet flights are out of B).

Ex jet were a wholly owned subisdiary of CO until a couple of years ago when the mainline decided to release some cash by flogging some off in an IPO and it operates as Continental Express (and on CO flight numbers) as opposed to the other franchise partners operating as Continental Connection. They operate an all ERJ fleet - a mix of 135s, 145s and 145XRs - the key with seats on ERJs (which are three abreast config) is go for an A seat this way you get a window and an aisle - a warning though, the overhead space on jungle jets is very limited.

Hope this helps

1859sqn
7th Jul 2006, 16:21
Many thanks Ace.

Smoke a kipper for me......... :)