PDA

View Full Version : Sam Brodie.

Phil Kemp
7th Jul 2006, 01:31
Sam had a varied and very interesting career within the helicopter industry. Amongst his many accomplishments that are not listed below, he was the Chief Inspector for Columbia Helicopters when they were still at Swan Island, and then later worked for many years for the FAA at the Rotorcraft Directorate in Dallas on all aspects of certification. Sam would always think carefully before he talked on any subject, and then it was always slow, considered and to the point. My original dealings were with Sam at the FAA, then later with the HAI and in the "outside world" dealing with certification and safety issues following his retirement. He was a tremendous resource, had an excellent memory for facts which could always be relied on for filling in the obscure detail on certification issues and historical information when trying to deal with the issues that arise on older helicopter models.

The HAI produced a heritage series on Ted Dumont who died earlier this year, and in that booklet is a picture of a very young Ted Dumont with Sam Brodie sitting at a meeting. I had meant to ask Sam what project they were doing and when that picture was taken, as all these years later, both of them had become very valuable resources to so many of us in the industry. I guess now, I may never find out.

Sam was another of the great individuals that built the helicopter industry that we work in today, and provided contributions that will last generations beyond their own lives. We will be flying in the helicopters that they created for decades from now.

You will be greatly missed, Sam.

HAI Mourns the Passing of Sam Brodie

Sam Brodie, who passed away on July 4, worked diligently towards the improvement of the aviation industry. His association with HAI dates back to 1985, and continued until his passing. Mr. Brodie was a member of the Technical Committee, where his input and participation were an asset at every meeting.

In 1989, he took on the added responsibility of becoming a member of the Safety Committee. This committee will forever be changed by the invaluable devotion of Sam Brodie. He worked tirelessly promoting safety throughout the industry.

Upon its inception in 1999, Sam was asked by the HAI Board of Directors to chair the Restricted Category Aircraft Committee. He remained chairman until his passing.

A Rosary will be held on Monday, July 10, at 7:00 p.m., at Brunning Funeral Home, 109 North Mill Street, Colfax, Washington 99111. Services will be at 10:00 a.m., on Tuesday, July 11, at St. Patrick’s Catholic Church, 1018 South Main Street, Colfax, Washington 99111.

It is indeed a sad day for the international helicopter industry.