PDA

View Full Version : Pax insurance & ops

Melchett01
6th Jul 2006, 18:15
Off to move Bliar's drinks cabinet into another sh:mad: tty bit of desert soon, so thought I would have a look a insurance. Last time I looked at Pax in 2003, they didn't cover CBRN injuries - which was handy seeing as we were going after WMD - so I thought sod it.

Now I have just had another look at them, but in the small print at the bottom it says bodily injury caused on active service or ops isn't covered :\
So, still as useful as ever, especially in this day and age. I'm not entirely sure why they are called Pax, maybe it's less to do with pax = personnel / passengers and more to do with the Latin translation of peace because that's all their policies are good for!

Does anybody know of any companies that do personal injury / accident insurance that does cover something useful like repeatedly going on ops? Oh yes, and preferably won't take every single last beer token in the process!:sad:

Occasional Aviator
6th Jul 2006, 18:44
It is not practical to expect insurers to cover all the sorts of things we do in service; our way of life involves a considered acceptance of risk. Perhaps the government should recognise that and provide a suitable compensation scheme instead. Oh, and how about tax breaks on ops?

cazatou
6th Jul 2006, 19:05
The same complaints were around at the time of GW1 from people who hadn't taken out the "all risks" option on their policies because it incurred extra premiums.

Have a look at any insurance application form which will ask the question - "Do you intend to partake in any aviation activity other than as a fare paying passenger on a scheduled airline?"

Even just flying in a military aircraft could invalidate your life insurance - let alone conducting military operations in it!

CAC Runaway
6th Jul 2006, 19:08
Now I have just had another look at them, but in the small print at the bottom it says bodily injury caused on active service or ops isn't covered :\

I think you will find that the part you are referring to is only for criminal injuries. My cover certainly covers war and ops and does include flying duties.

Fitbin
7th Jul 2006, 08:06
Had a similar situation a while back. As a rotortuner I went looking for additional insurance through the PAX people. They say i'm covered for any of my normal duties, including flying. It was only when I mentioned that the things I was flying in were technically u/s, things got interesting. They couldn't understand why we would want to fly in u/s cabs, and therefore because it's not airworthy we're not covered. But to make it serviceable we had to fly it to tune the disc. :ugh:

Never did get a straight answer.

Finally went for the 'sod it' approach.