PDA

View Full Version : Le Mans info - (not 24 hour race)

Tango Oscar
6th Jul 2006, 13:34
I'm trying to plan a trip to Brive at the weekend, leaving saturday, returning sunday. Le Mans seems like a suitable stop off to up lift some fuel etc.
I've tried calling them, but can't get through to anyone who speaks English (my French is very poor). Does anyone have any info. i.e. will fuel be available saturday and sunday around 2pm local. If I fax them my details, will they be able to arrange customs (it doesn't seem very clear in my VFR France guide) ?
Any other info, for Le Mans or Brive greatly appreciated.
T.O. :ok:

Fuji Abound
6th Jul 2006, 15:00
Been to Le Mans a few times including for the racing.

There has never been a problem with fuel (by bowser) and a fax to confirm you require customs will do the trick.

I am surprised you cant find someone who speaks English but maybe the personnel have changed recently.

It is a pleasant enough airport with a good runway and substantial terminal facility.

Enjoy your trip. PM me if I can be of any further help.

dublinpilot
6th Jul 2006, 15:43
Looking at the AIP, the tower is not listed as being "French only", so they should be able to speak English. You could try "Je voudrais parlée avec la tour sil vous plais". My spelling is probably wrong, along with my grammer, but it should be enough to get you through to ATC, who will hopefully speak English!

ATC hours are listed as "MON-FRI : 0700-1800 ; SAT, HOL : 0700-1000, 1200-1800"

Customs listed as "Customs, Police : TUE-SAT O/R the day before before 1600 - SUN, MON and HOL :the last working day before 1600 PN to TWR: ☎ 02 43 84 34 85."

You could try faxing them in English. A fax gives them time to translate, and formulate a reply! "FAX : 02 43 86 29 63" The country code is +33

You can find the AIP entry by clicking here, and selecting the airport (http://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/html/frameset_aip_fr.htm)

Hope that helps!

dp

Tango Oscar
6th Jul 2006, 16:50
Fuji - Thanks for the info. Helpful stuff.

Dublinpilot- You're a hero. Got through to the tower,and all arranged -Thanks.

I love PPRuNe :ok: :ok: :ok:

dublinpilot
6th Jul 2006, 21:20
Glad you got it sorted. Enjoy the trip!

dp

007helicopter
8th Jul 2006, 10:14
By the way Not a great cafe there but the nearest in walking distance is a petrol station which is sufficient for a snack to keep you going. Easy to find and land at so a good choice.

Duncan