PDA

View Full Version : JSF Naming Day

ORAC
6th Jul 2006, 05:48
At 11 a.m. CDT on Friday, July 7, senior government, military and industrial representatives from around the world will gather at Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Co. in Fort Worth, Texas, for the inauguration and naming of the first F-35 Joint Strike Fighter.

Guests who will speak at the event include Deputy Secretary of Defense Gordon England; U.S. Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. T. Michael Moseley; members of the Texas congressional delegation (U.S. Senators Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn, Congresswoman Kay Granger); and the International JSF Partners.

Reporters and photographers are invited to the event at the Lockheed Martin plant at 1 Lockheed Blvd. in Fort Worth. Please check into the Building 200 lobby no later than 10:15 a.m.

Risers and mult-boxes will be set up for photographers and reporters, and the aircraft will be in plain view for photographing.

Toxteth O'Grady
6th Jul 2006, 06:38
What's it going to be called?

I guess the Brit variant will be called the 'Sea Noff.'

:cool:

TOG

Tracey Island
6th Jul 2006, 06:50
My money for the Brit variant is on "Sea Fury"

Safeware
6th Jul 2006, 09:09
I thought it had already been sorted ..... Dave

sw

BlueWolf
6th Jul 2006, 10:00
One is biased, but admits to a preference for "Wolf" as the name for this splendid new aireyplane. One has said so on this very forum, some time ago now. We shall shortly see whether or not the intelligence of the establishment has been up to the task of monitoring this excellent site adequately....:p

passpartout
6th Jul 2006, 10:07
Now then.

The Navy will name its 2 new carriers after HM and the POW, presumably in some sort of attempt to make sure they don't get cancelled.

Using the same logic, maybe JSF should be called the Blair:yuk:

South Bound
6th Jul 2006, 10:11
Well if DPA performance indicators do not rely on numbers of aircraft, we could probably give them each a name...

Lazer-Hound
6th Jul 2006, 10:14
Now then.

The Navy will name its 2 new carriers after HM and the POW, presumably in some sort of attempt to make sure they don't get cancelled.

Didn't work last time!:rolleyes:

Magic Mushroom
6th Jul 2006, 10:24
Don't get too excited, I doubt if the US will allow foreign 'partners' to be allowed access to allowed access to the F-35's name.

However, strictly for these 4 walls, MI5 sources suggest that it'll be called the F-35 SECRET NOFORN.:ugh:

Regards,
MM

airborne_artist
6th Jul 2006, 10:36

Why not call JSF Andrew or Edward then?

Confucius
6th Jul 2006, 10:45

Or "Prescott" seeing as it's overweight, compromised and people keep expecting it to get canned.

Jackonicko
6th Jul 2006, 12:04
Love it.

Official name: 'Battle II' or 'Blenheim II'

Popular name: Prescott

WhiteOvies
6th Jul 2006, 12:29
Anyone else on this thread getting a sense of deja vu?

Long live the F-35 Dave!:D

DeaconBlue
6th Jul 2006, 16:05
Typhoon Killer has certain ring...:E

phil gollin
6th Jul 2006, 17:42
The betting on another board was for (sigh) :

Lightning II

with (unbelievably)

Spitfire II

as reserve.

Either would be a disgrace.

brickhistory
6th Jul 2006, 17:54
The betting on another board was for (sigh) :

Lightning II

with (unbelievably)

Spitfire II

as reserve.

Either would be a disgrace.

Agree that these are not good choices, however, since LM (Lockheed P-38 origin) built it, my money would be on Lightning II.

Wouldn't the Spitfire name have to be at least the Spitfire 48?

Or Dave......

The Helpful Stacker
6th Jul 2006, 19:07
Wasn't the F22 originally pencilled in as the Lightning II?

SARREMF
6th Jul 2006, 19:10
Whats wrong with calling it ...........Colin?

The Helpful Stacker
6th Jul 2006, 19:16
Whats wrong with calling it ...........Colin?

Too much of a gender bias for the modern RAF. They allow women to fly these days you know?

Would you want to see stories of WRAFs yanking and banking with the joystick of a Colin in their hands?

Severance
6th Jul 2006, 21:09
Would you want to see stories of WRAFs yanking and banking with the joystick of a Colin in their hands?

UUmmm yep, 'course.

Love Colin:ok:

ORAC
6th Jul 2006, 21:46
In which case call it Richard. Your taxes would be paying for the best female Richard handlers money could buy....

DC-17
7th Jul 2006, 03:41
It doesn't matter what they officially call it... ESPECIALLY if they name it after a "heritage" plane.

Like the F-16 Fighting Falcon (Viper) and the A-10 Thunderbolt II (Warthog) it'll get its own nickname and my guess it'll be Joe. Heard a friend say this one and it makes sense...

Joint Strike Fighter
JSF
Joseph
Joe

ORAC
7th Jul 2006, 06:04
Lightning II (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/bus/stories/070706dnbuslightning.17a8860.html), according to an "anonymous source".

Dr Illitout
7th Jul 2006, 07:14
Why don't the call it "The Moderator"?
Everybodys afraid of them! Also you know you are never going to get the better of them!

Rgds Dr I

FormerFlake
7th Jul 2006, 07:18
I would like to see Tempest II

But, how about:

Ronaldo

as it will be capable of some amazing things, but will spend most of it's time on the ground.

philrigger
7th Jul 2006, 10:41
Its now 11.30 - what is the name ?

'We knew how to whinge but we kept it in the NAAFI bar.'

jonny5
7th Jul 2006, 10:51
name it, come on i am dying here!:confused:

strek
7th Jul 2006, 11:15
Note that naming will be at 1100 CDT not BST so a few hours to go guys. :E

vecvechookattack
7th Jul 2006, 12:39
Im looking forward to watching the JSF display at Yeovilton airday tomorrow. It must be there as there are photo's of it all over the tickets.

airborne_artist
7th Jul 2006, 12:43
Are they all going to have the same name, or will they each have their own, like ships? If they all had the same name it could be a bit confusing for the aircrew and ground crew - they might get in/work on the wrong one.

Glass Half Empty
7th Jul 2006, 15:37
How about TSR3

John Farley
7th Jul 2006, 16:54
Contraceptor

(the answer to any Interceptor)

brickhistory
7th Jul 2006, 16:56
And the winner is......

Lightning II.

From the JSF.mil site, that is the new moniker, said to take into account the WWII twin-boomed fighter and the EE jet interceptor's heritage.

So any thoughts on what it will be called by the crews?

Besides Dave, of course!

vecvechookattack
7th Jul 2006, 19:02
So if the USAF are going to name it Lightning II....what will the RAF/RN call it....apart from Dave

ScapegoatisaSolution
7th Jul 2006, 19:40
Possibly the 'Weehad' after the British habit of talking about the weather all the time.
(For the hard of thinking/Yanks..."We had lightning too")

RonO
7th Jul 2006, 20:07
this is the export version - USAF one is in foreground

http://www.flightglobal.com/assets/getAsset.aspx?ItemID=13453

Zoom
7th Jul 2006, 21:41
Look at its radome - it's got to be Budgie!

BEagle
7th Jul 2006, 22:10
Am I missing something here, but what's with all this silly 'Dave' nonsense?

Double Zero
7th Jul 2006, 22:27
Thank God they didn't call it Andrew or Edward; the IFR probe would never have worked, or if it did it would have frightened the tanker !

Archimedes
7th Jul 2006, 23:55
BEagle,
'Dave' seems to have gained popularity thanks to this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226765) thread.

'Dave' does seem rather better than some of the official choices that were first mooted...

Jackonicko
8th Jul 2006, 01:03
There have been some superb suggestions on Prune. Even better than the 'Dave'.

The people's choice must surely be The Prescott - because JSF is a completely compromised, overweight, very expensive, overpriced penetrator that*makes a lot of noise as it goes up and down, has only a tiny weapon (-load),*has already cost us far more than it's worth, while no-one is quite sure what it's for, or whether it can do anything useful, but anyone with any sense would expect it to be ****-canned.

Moreover, nobody wants it in their backyard (hence the reason it is going to Lossie).*It does the work of 2 Jags.*It's very noisy to little efect.

I also liked:

Lark*
The name has to be suitable for fighter pilots so how about the 'Lark'?*
Just like its feathered relative, it makes a noise totally out of proportion to its size; when it is in the overhead, you'll know it is there but you cannot see it. It gets airborne when it likes and spends the whole time aloft yelling at the top of its voice: 'me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me-me'.

Battle II (after the Fairley one).
They were chronically under-powered bomb trucks too, with an undersized internal weapons bay and with just one engine.

F-35 "Martmite" - you either love it, or you hate it
F-35 Sodomite. Only a pervert would love it......

JOATMON, simply meaning:
Jack of all trades, master of none, which it surely will be by the time it arrives.

'MENSTRUAL' as I suspect this will bleed the RAF for years.

The YF-35 (Why F-35). Because that's what everyone is already saying!

Zoom
8th Jul 2006, 23:52
Jacko
Your mission - if you choose to accept it - is to slide this lot into the press, emphasising the people's choice. Well, another nail......

RonO
9th Jul 2006, 23:18
..and yet Dave compared with the mighty 'phoon has double the loiter/load/range & could actually help out in Afghanistan from land or sea with a greatly superior weapon set & a2g sensors. All at half the price.

What a deal - you shouldn't leave home without it.

On the local news it described Dave as a joint US/UK aircraft. Why is it always labelled yankee round these parts? No pride in the UK contribution? Too many EADS apologists?