PDA

View Full Version : Questions of pitot static system in relationship to ADC

skydragon
5th Jul 2006, 13:56
Hi, i am a student from Singapore Currently, i am reading up on the pitot static topic. I come across a question and i am not being able to find the answers from my school library or over the internet.
The question is how the pitot static system support the Captain and the First Officer/ how the pitot static system continue to function in a failure in the static air pressure from the Captain or First Officer static port..

Can someone please help me out? I am lost at this point and i could not find any answers:sad: .

Thanks a million

Mad (Flt) Scientist
5th Jul 2006, 17:13
Different aircraft have different system configurations, so this is a bit 'generic'.

Assuming the aircraft has two ADCs, one for pilot and one copilot display, it will also have two pitot-static sources. Typically there will be one pitot source on each side of the nose, and two static sources on each side; the static sources may be part of a "pitot-static" combined probe, or the static sources may be flush-mounted to the fuselage separately.

The sources will be connected such that each pitot source is connected to a single ADC, and a pair of static sources will be connected (one left, one right) to each ADC.

Therefore each ADC is connected to an independent set of air data sources.

If either data source set has a failure (say a blocked port) then the readings from that system will go 'strange' and may be detected automatically or by the pilots. Depending on the design, some aircraft may be able to switch to a back-up source (some have 3 or more ADCs) or may be able to switch the display source so that all the pilot and copilot displays use a common, valid, ADC, or the procedure may simply be that the pilot/copilot with the 'good' ADC flies the aircraft.

Farmer 1
7th Jul 2006, 06:58
If a static system is blocked, on an unpressurised aircraft the standby static might come from inside the cabin. This would cause some errors in the affected instruments, which could be calculated with the help of a correction table.

I was taught to break the glass of the VSI, as a last resort, to allow air into the static system.

skydragon
7th Jul 2006, 10:44
thanks alot for the answer

is it possible that anyone knows of any online resource materials relating to this?

can anyone please tell me...
thanks!

BOAC
7th Jul 2006, 15:58
Do you have a computer that can access Google? Type in 'pitot-static'.

My teacher would have said 'must try harder':confused:

barit1
7th Jul 2006, 17:30
Do you have a computer that can access Google?
:

DOH!!!:ugh: