PDA

View Full Version : Request advice

inner
5th Jul 2006, 13:02
Hello everybody,

i'm new around here and i'm asking for your opinion concerning this matter:

In april i became 30. I've finished my atpl in april 2005. So far i got only 1 selection day without any result. 6 months ago i started to fly for a small company which provides touristic flights (single engine). I must say it is fun, and i don't have to pay to fly. Most of the time i fly VFR and every month i try to fly a few hours ifr. BUT I'm still asking myself if this really improves my chances to "go further", to get a final pilot job. It doesn't have to be a jet airliner, a turbo prop is ok for me, bizz jet even better and a jet airliner is ofcourse the best. I was even thinking to quit this 'job' because i don't see how this job can provide me the experience companies want. And besides i'm already 30years old (young).

So, what would you advice me to do? Quit or something else??
Every opinion, advice is welcome.
Thx a lot

flyfish
5th Jul 2006, 14:12
Continuing to fly in a commercial environment has to improve your chances. If you’re not getting the breaks to desire, perhaps look at other ways of improving your appeal. For example, more persistent or more selective applying, networking, improved C.V, interview preparation course.
Whatever you do, giving up flying I feel would be a backwards step.The market is good at the moment, it will only be a matter of time for you I am sure, and probably when you least expect it. :}
Good luck
Flyfish

rsr3
5th Jul 2006, 15:28
Yep, flying is flying!

You could meet some contacts that become very useful... just my opinion for what its worth, but I'd stick with it.

Pitch Back
5th Jul 2006, 16:19
Hi Inner,

I would have to agree with the previous posters, flying is flying. Being 30 is no real bar as you are already qualified and operating within a commercial environment - you are making commercial decisions on a daily basis and you ARE a proffesional pilot as you are employed as such.

If you are also hiring aircraft try and add multi-engine time. When I hit 100hrs multi I found that I was a little more interesting to the recruiters - times are good now so you will get something. Keep plugging away with the CV and make sure that it is top notch. If you are applying to operators unsolicited then make sure you use the correct contact details for the recruitment personnel. Tailor each letter to the individual operator and try and outline why you want to work for them. Finally finish your letter with a close asking for an interview. On all my letters I also said I would follow up with a phone call and I actually did. It worked but it is a fine line between that and stalking :ok:

I would not quit your job at all. Where do you operate out of?? If it is a busy place with regional operators, or bizjets, go and introduce yourself and ask for a look around their aircraft - if you are in uniform it would be fine. We had a chap do this the other day in EGHI (he was an instructor) and we had no probs in showing him around and providing him with info.

Keep a log of who you have applied too and what you wrote. State in your letter that you are gaining experience at a steady rate and that you would like to take the opportunity to keep them updated, say, every 3 months etc -from that make sure you have a good "round 2" letter for follow ups reaffirming your motivation for company X and highlighting how your experience has improved.

I also placed a photo on my CV - I am an ugly bastid :uhoh: and many will say it is a bit controversial but I found a better response when I did this especially as I kept in touch with the operators and they could put a face to the name. All this worked and I now fly a Turboprop after being accepted with 275ish hrs and being Modular (OAT).

Good luck.

Pitch Back.

GRANTS
5th Jul 2006, 19:36
I have just joined a Turbo-prop operator, two of my course mates are around their 50s.
One of them was a PPL instructor and the other was an aero-photographing pilot before joining the airline.
Keep flying!

Cactus99
5th Jul 2006, 20:53
It doesn't have to be a jet airliner, a turbo prop is ok for me, bizz jet even better and a jet airliner is ofcourse the best.

I would suggest concern yourself more with targeting specific companies than worrying which aircraft you would rather fly. The balls not in your court so you will have to take what comes first, unless you get a number of job offers (highly unlikely im afraid)

I would target the TP operators first, they are your best hope for a first job.

inner
6th Jul 2006, 15:26
OK gentlemen,

thx for your advice. :ok:

Every suggestion is welcome

grtz