PDA

View Full Version : Two Sisters Make History

chopper chix
5th Jul 2006, 01:32
I have heard along the grape vine that two Barossa Valley Sisters will give most blokes a run for their money flying choppers.....

Recently stared on SA's Channel 9 Postcards.
One of the girls is certified by CASA as Australia's Youngest Female Commercail Helicopter Pilot.
Younger one just gaining her licence last year from Kestrel Aviation.:D

(ps. i am one of them - telling the world about us!! we are proud of our achievements) :rolleyes:

nzmarty
5th Jul 2006, 02:25
what were you staring at?

212man
5th Jul 2006, 02:26
Where do I sign....?:)

chopper chix
5th Jul 2006, 02:48
Postcards did a feature in their show on us! oh and our company!!
Thanks 212 man!!

212man
5th Jul 2006, 03:18
Hey, no worries mate....:ok:

SASless
5th Jul 2006, 03:42
Just my luck to be retiring....this is progress of the best kind!

To think of all the horrible sights I have shared a cockpit with.

Why did I not immigrate to Oz all those years ago when I was thinking about it?:(

I bet old Ned will be down there frothing over doing a photo shoot!

212man
5th Jul 2006, 04:00
What would you recomend; the Pinot Noir or Cabernet Sauvignon (or Cab Shiraz)???

chopper chix
5th Jul 2006, 04:12
i prefer the good ol johnny walker, but shiraz or cab sav are both nice drops

all_torque
5th Jul 2006, 04:38
Are you still making the monkey nut sparkling red??

chopper chix
5th Jul 2006, 04:45
yes its still being made... but thats my aunty.... :ok:

deeper
5th Jul 2006, 04:58
aaahhh, that night in the spa.

22clipper
5th Jul 2006, 05:00
Well, well, I think it must be time the RotorHeads did a trip to the Barossa? Don't worry girls, were all house trained & always on our best behaviour with female company

chopper chix
5th Jul 2006, 05:03
deeper - which night was that, have a few nights in the spa!!:mad:

to rotorheads - we are always home.... fly in any time.

topendtorque
5th Jul 2006, 09:52
Are you still making the monkey nut sparkling red??
definately the best name for an auntie I've ever heard.

Hmmmm, me thinks your good looks come from your mum, if your fossils were those i met many moons ago.

pohm1
5th Jul 2006, 16:33
G'don ya Billy

chevvron
5th Jul 2006, 18:14
Looking at some of the helicopter pilots I encounter in the UK, I must say you girls are a GREAT improvement!

Gerhardt
5th Jul 2006, 18:31
GAH! And they fly, too?

Colonal Mustard
5th Jul 2006, 18:59
What a deeee lightful pair of ladies.....my i offer you a bottle of red:D

Congrats btw

5th Jul 2006, 20:04
Clearly they didn't have to do a spelling test for their CPLs (stared and commercail):)

And Sasless, I assume you meant emigrate not immigrate.

Sorry but it's been a long and tedious sort of day.

Ned-Air2Air
5th Jul 2006, 20:09
I bet old Ned will be down there frothing over doing a photo shoot!

Sasless - Sorry to dissapoint old chap but heading off to Africa, US and then Kuwait so wont get a chance to go to OZ for a while.

Ned:E

ShyTorque
5th Jul 2006, 20:35
Clearly they didn't have to do a spelling test for their CPLs (stared and commercail):)
And Sasless, I assume you meant emigrate not immigrate.
Sorry but it's been a long and tedious sort of day.

Most of us didn't even notice any words, just looked at the picture..

(But NOT the picture of SASless :eek: )

ems300
5th Jul 2006, 21:52
shy torque, Most of us didn't even notice any words, just looked at the picture..

I totally agree!! what words where on that page?
And where is this spa? let me know the coordinates and they will go straight into my gps!!:ok:

chopper chix
5th Jul 2006, 22:23
shy torque, Most of us didn't even notice any words, just looked at the picture..

I totally agree!! what words where on that page?
And where is this spa? let me know the coordinates and they will go straight into my gps!!:ok:

Hey Guys,

You are all too kind. anyway how did the pic get there - i only posted a website link!!!!????

ems 300 - GPS Coordinates?? - its not too hard to find the Barossa Valley.

Topendtorque - yes you would have met the 'ol fossils' round the traps they, old man has been flying for years!!

colonal mustard - its gotta be a good red!!

Cheers Guys

Chopper Chix:sad:

Bomber ARIS
6th Jul 2006, 00:26
crab,

IMmigrate is correct.

SASless
6th Jul 2006, 01:31
Crab,

Does it matter about the spelling really.....so long as we have commonality of definition should be sufficient.

After all the Americans and the British are two peoples separated by a common language. (Despite what class one pretends to be.)

John Eacott
6th Jul 2006, 02:16
Pedant mode on:

Immigrate - to enter a country as a migrant
Emigrate - to leave one country as a migrant for another country

Pedant mode off ;)

Back to the thread, well done Barossa Helicopters :ok:

212man
6th Jul 2006, 03:28
Ergo, Crab is correct! One emigrates from one's country to immigrate to another country.

Anyway, back to the Shiraz Cabernet..........

ems300
6th Jul 2006, 03:58
ems 300 - GPS Coordinates?? - its not too hard to find the Barossa Valley

That is just so i can go direct and don't have to waste time to crack open the red!!!!!:E

212man
6th Jul 2006, 04:15
I guess this would be a suitable link?:

http://www.totaltravel.com.au/travel/sa/barrossa/barossavalley/listing/bedbreakfast/10130509

Kleenex
6th Jul 2006, 05:47
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6576/billie2020bridgette21yr.jpg

A great image that would help install a sense of calmness in passengers. :ugh:

chopper chix
6th Jul 2006, 06:41
Hey kleenex - that just proves that us women are multi skilled - its a great shot isn't it..... good quiet horse!:cool:

ps we were on a day off and parents just 'dropped' in to say g'day.

Cheers

Chopper:eek:

Ned-Air2Air
6th Jul 2006, 08:10
Mr Selfish - At least that 206 is a lot quieter that that bloody 222 that comes clattering over my place on the waterfront here in Mission Bay during the late evenings when I am trying to enjoy a beer on the balcony. :E :E

Ned

Gerhardt
6th Jul 2006, 15:09
Mr.Selfish, which one did you teach?

ChopperChix, which one of you is it that commandeered the moniker and is posting here?

zorab64
6th Jul 2006, 19:00
Well done chopper chix - nice to see some progress in adding glamour to an otherwise (often) less-than-pretty profession! Maybe you should touch base with a Lady in the UK who flies for one of the Police Air Support Units - another first, I believe? :ok:

Lord Mount
6th Jul 2006, 20:37
I do hope that isn't beer you are drinking.
Drunk in charge of a horse, thats still an arrestable offence isn't it?
Also I do think its rather unfair to the next pilot for you to try and get your horse to cr@p in the cockpit (but it is a clever trick).:=

chopper chix
6th Jul 2006, 22:10
hey Mr Selfish, thanks for that - learning to fly was great fun doing nav's in a 206...eating pizza and low level gold coast - the yellow chopper in question is now back on the gold coast with a new owner..... she was sweet!!

Gerhardt - i the great one on the right in the first photo....

i will get in contact with the lady in the UK when i track her down.

and the cans we were drinking were vodka, leamon, lime and free on that day!!!:rolleyes: and the horse was looking after us.

Kleenex
7th Jul 2006, 06:29
Once again, I don't think it's a wise idea to have a picture of both pilots riding a horse drinking on a page that should be backing up how safe the operation is. Doesn't quite give the impression of responsible.

Just a thought.

7th Jul 2006, 07:38
Although there are other websites where you can find a picture of 2 teenage girls, a horse and a big chopper.....allegedly:)

Colonal Mustard
7th Jul 2006, 18:33
colonal mustard - its gotta be a good red!!

Cheers Guys

Chopper Chix:sad:

I prefer mine like my ladies, Fruity,with a "something" that you just can`t quite narrow down and plenty of it.

The Nr Fairy
7th Jul 2006, 19:58
I like my women like my coffee - black, in a plastic cup

With apologies to Eddie Izzard

SASless
7th Jul 2006, 20:43
My fair Whirls seems to be staying well away from this for some reason?

I wonder if she will be trying to do an instant makeover of these two young ladies by trying to convince them to start wearing gold Lame' Go Go boots, red Bee Hive hairdo's and six inch finger nails?

Colonal Mustard
7th Jul 2006, 20:46
Here she is...........The Delectable WHIRLY BIRD:eek:

http://www.igloons.com/stuff/pics/wonderwoman.jpg

HELOFAN
8th Jul 2006, 05:39
Lets see, Vodka UDL's?

I say let them drink and ride...private property so what.

Drink up & ride on !!

Good luck to you, dont let the wowsers get you down.

HF

bellfest
8th Jul 2006, 06:35
Is that SASless on the end of that rope:E

Once again, I don't think it's a wise idea to have a picture of both pilots riding a horse drinking on a page that should be backing up how safe the operation is. Doesn't quite give the impression of responsible.

Just a thought.

Kleenex, are you dead against recording movies off the TV too! If that was Mr Ed I'm sure he would be calling you an idiot:yuk: -without the peanut butter:p

I'm sure I had a dream that started with that image......apart from the fact that they could escape in the helicopter when they got sick of me:=
Well done ladies and good luck:ok:

Kleenex
8th Jul 2006, 08:39
Ohhh aren't you funny bellfast...

I admit it came of a little harsh, for that I apologise.

But with all the built up knowledge of how edgy passengers are about their first ride in a helicopter, do you honestly think a person who is already **** scared can be comforted by a picture of both pilots drinking while riding a horse?

bellfest
8th Jul 2006, 10:29
Too right:eek: Considering the surroundings and the traffic in that area it wouldn't be unusual for those irresponsible, intoxicated, equestarian, aviating drunkard women to cause a three horse pile up on the blind corner of a cattle pad. At least they aren't on their mobile phones while riding. If they were in Canada the mounted police would lock them up and throw away the key:ugh: .
Shame on you girls. Your pony should be impounded:=

Kleenex
8th Jul 2006, 11:03
Mate, don't be a f*cken smart ass.

If you can't see something wrong behind that picture being seen by potential customers then you are the idiot.

Flying Lawyer
8th Jul 2006, 11:52
Kleenex

Feel free to add me to your list of idiots.
I see nothing wrong with that picture being seen by potential customers. It's just two pilots enjoying their day off on their own horse on private land.

If there was a shred of evidence they were drunk, I'd agree with you - whether they were on a horse or not - but there isn't.

IMHO you're fussing about nothing.

Kleenex
8th Jul 2006, 12:04
Then I'm fussing about nothing. I know if I was a customer with no knowledge of aviation, still skeptical of forking out a couple of hundred bucks for a ride, seeing that picture on the website would discourage me.

bellfest
8th Jul 2006, 12:57
Easy does it kleenex. Wipe those tears away with.....well....yourself:{
I would bet, and the girls may confirm if they could be bothered, that that was there first UDL can and both were probably still half full.
It's a horse mate, not an excavator. If that is all it takes to discourage one from a joyflight then maybe their money would be better off spent on something else. One of the many great wine tours perhaps:ok: . As long as they weren't discouraged by a picture of the tour guide sitting on a wine barrell eating horseradish:ooh:
Are you discouraged about going to the V8 supercars cause you saw Craig Lowndes poor champagne over the podium:= ?

Mate, don't be a f*cken smart ass.

Sorry, you're an easy target:E

SASless
8th Jul 2006, 13:00
Some folks are just plain afraid of gettin out of bed in the morning.....thus dread every encounter during the day. Most folks look forward to what life has to offer.

Most helicopter pilots I know endulge in a few adult malt beverages from time to time (awaking to bedtime) thus the news these two Aviatrix Chix should have a brew should come as no surprise. They are in Oz ya know!

SEL
8th Jul 2006, 13:23
Especially since Kleenex posted the pic on here in the first place too. Some effort put in to do that. Always sad to see folk without a sense of humour and access to the internet.

rumline
8th Jul 2006, 16:40
Especially since Kleenex posted the pic on here in the first place too. Some effort put in to do that. Always sad to see folk without a sense of humour and access to the internet.

Agreed...is it just me or has this industry been taken over by little old women!
Secondly..a drink in hand has nothing to do with level of intoxication..

Colonal Mustard
8th Jul 2006, 17:03
Turn around Kleenex.......left a bit.............steady.............almost there...... STOP........and HAZZAAAAH.

Lets see who else can throw one in his back:ok:

http://www.mundieart.com/images/alive-30.jpg

twinstar_ca
8th Jul 2006, 20:25
i see nothing wrong with pic... you didn't even know what was in the cans till she told us!!! i have no doubt these young ladies were just enjoying their day and have no intentions of climbing behind the cyclic if they were imbibing... just a case of reading too much into the pic... :=

Big Bucks Bernie
9th Jul 2006, 01:15
Then I'm fussing about nothing. I know if I was a customer with no knowledge of aviation, still skeptical of forking out a couple of hundred bucks for a ride, seeing that picture on the website would discourage me.

Are we talking about a ride in the helicopter or a ride on the horse? ;)

Seriously though, I reckon, you would have to have a rather vivid imagination (not to say a very warped one) to come to the conclusion that the Aviatrix Chix fly helicopters under the influence, just based on that photograph alone. Now if they had been seated at the controls of the helicopter with booze in hand, looking a bit sloshed, then I would say you might have a point about sending out the wrong impression, but with the photo looking the way it does, let’s get real.

Honestly, if potential passengers are that paranoid and sceptical about enjoying a great scenic flight with our Chopper Chix (or any other pilot for that matter), well then maybe they should not make a booking at all.

I once had to deal with a passenger just like that a few years back. We were providing helicopter flips at a car dealership as part of a promo, with the idea being that anybody, who walked into the car dealership and just looked at a vehicle (not necessarily purchased one), would also get a free 5 minute long flip in the helicopter operating from the parking lot just outside the dealership.
Now I was responsible for doing the safety briefing and the loading and unloading of the passengers. To cut a long story short, one woman who was waiting in line for her turn to go up, suddenly started giving me all sorts of crap about it being very windy and bumpy that day, and that she reckoned, the pilot flying the helicopter looked very young – about twelve or fourteen years old to be exact - and that she didn’t think that flying with him would be safe.
Well, that pilot actually happened to be in his late twenties, as well as a qualified CFII and 135 charter pilot with a couple of thousand hours under his belt. Needless to say, I informed her of all these minor, yet importnt details, and then also proceeded to make it clear to her (in as pleasant a way as I possibly could), that if she didn’t want to fly with us, nobody was forcing her to do so. After all, the flight was a freebie courtesy of the car dealership.
She eventually did go up, and upon her return, informed me that she did not enjoy the flight at all. Oh well, as I say, nobody forced her to go up.

Anyway, moral of the story: If people have such strong reservations and are that sceptical about flying from the get-go, then maybe they should do themselves and especially the crew a favour and not go flying at all.

Beyond that, my advice to the Chopper Chix would be to add one of those safety labels underneath the photo (you know, kind of like the ones found on car mirrors these days), stating something along the lines of “Warning: The pilots on the horse in front of the helicopter in the above photograph may appear to be drinking on duty, but are actually enjoying a day off work”.
I know, it’s pretty ridiculous, but oh well, I guess that is the kind of world we live in these days….

chopper chix
9th Jul 2006, 01:30
i enjoy reading your comments good or bad.... i just wish people would have a sense of humour and get a life... both of us we on a DAY OFF.
The clients that have flown with us and seen the photo think that it is a great photo. we are both having fun... sorry if it offends some people. we have a life outside helicopters too......:cool: and there is nothing wrong with a drink or two - i have learned some good flying skills over a beer or two with some awesome pilots.

topendtorque
9th Jul 2006, 01:51
So who flies sober?

A quote from the late Charles English Henderson Junior III.

"I fly much better when i'm half drunk and you will to boy with that contraption, here have a good shot of scotch"

circa 1982 ish, Bullo River Valley NT

His house guest, my passenger for the day, an ex squadron buddy of his one Joe Doyle assistant sec US Navy at the (time ??), was sure we'd be better to finish flying then go have the scotch.

rumline
9th Jul 2006, 03:53
Did y'all realize that the favorite pre-battle encouragement by those who fought with valour and courage to save (once) Great Britain from Herman's Hordes was a dram or two prior to pulling the choks?

whoateallthepies
9th Jul 2006, 04:27
It's not this horse is it?
http://i.1asphost.com/whoateallthepies/horse_windshield_spainsm.jpeg

SASless
9th Jul 2006, 12:42
I have often wondered whether helicopter pilots drink to celebrate a successful flight or in anticipation of tomorrow's flight.:E

jetflite
9th Jul 2006, 14:21
:ugh: You can barely see what there drinking, there not wearing the typical uniform (this in it's self would be a CLEAR indication that they were on a DAY OFF, or off duty, not too many companies let there pilots rock up in jeans and shirts riding a horse), alot of people are animal friendly and would feel this photo installs a sense of calmness if a horse isn't spooked (in the horses eyes by a large thing that has bits hainging off it). seems like good clever, simple, friendly photo.

Brilliant Stuff
9th Jul 2006, 14:49
And returning to the topic:

Congratulations Chopper Chix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:ok: :ok:

Big Bucks Bernie
9th Jul 2006, 15:09
I second that... :D :ok:

ShyTorque
9th Jul 2006, 16:02
Oh Dear. Oh DEAR! :*

Riding a horse, two up. Overloading the vehicle. :ugh:

NO safety helmets. :}

No Dayglo safety vests. :=

Heads almost touching the rotors. I've heard that helicopter rotors are very dangerous :ouch:

That horse has a wild look in its eye - it might kick out and damage the helicopter. :eek:

Thanks goodness they're drinking beer - puts my mind at rest - now I know they're normal. :ok:

Whirlygig
9th Jul 2006, 22:11
Colonel Mustard, I think you have made the classic mistake getting Whirlybird and myself mixed up!

Sassy was referring to me whereas you've posted a picture of my good friend Whirlybird so, in order to clarify things, here I am! Not a bee-hive in sight though Sassy!

http://www.bunnweb.org/helenslater/super/sg4.jpg

Cheers

Whirls

chopper chix
9th Jul 2006, 22:27
Thanks Big Buck Bernie and Brilliant Stuff!!!!:p

Safety vests?? helmet??? what are they???;)

SASless
9th Jul 2006, 22:51
Ah Whirls....just all that damp and rain in your part of the country felled the hairdo! Glad to see you are wearing my Monogram next to your......heart too!:)

ShyTorque
9th Jul 2006, 22:53
Thanks Big Buck Bernie and Brilliant Stuff!!!!:p

Safety vests?? helmet??? what are they???;)

Whirlygig appears to be kindly modelling the safety vest whilst marshalling in a helicopter (think that's what the "S" stands for) - but I'm not certain about the shorts and cape. :p

Whirlygig
9th Jul 2006, 22:54
I am not sure about those shorts either; I didn't think they were cut and tailored properly :O

Cheers

Whirls

chopper chix
9th Jul 2006, 23:27
now thats a bit dangerous with the cape flying round - not too safe... near moving parts?? :rolleyes: just having stir :cool:

Whirlygig
9th Jul 2006, 23:50
Moving parts? I don't have any "moving parts! I just fly! :ok:

So no death a la Isadora Duncan for me!

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
9th Jul 2006, 23:58
Moving parts? I don't have any "moving parts! I just fly! :ok:
Whirls

What - not even a slight wobble in severe turbulence? :confused:

;)

Whirlygig
10th Jul 2006, 00:05
How dare you. How very dare you! :=

There are no "wobbles" when I'm in my harvert festivals! :ok:

Cheers

Whirls

Dis-Mystery of Lift
10th Jul 2006, 02:15
Looks like there is some hidden Skid Gear(Hopefully just the wind) in those shorts Whirls:ok:

Well Done Chopper Chix!!!:ok: :ok:

Colonal Mustard
10th Jul 2006, 06:44
Consider Mustard told off by whirls

http://www.cambridgeacademy.co.uk/images/pictures/prosecute.gif

chopper chix
10th Jul 2006, 22:02
I would just like to Thank You all for the most entertaining replies to our Thread. And we do hope to come across a few of you sometime. maybe for a red or beer. Cheers :ok:

ShyTorque
11th Jul 2006, 00:09
And we do hope to come across a few of you sometime. Cheers :ok:

:E No, don't say it ShyT, don't go there....... :=

;)

212man
11th Jul 2006, 00:17
ST,
I would like to have said "great minds think alike", but I guess "fools never differ" would be much more PC in this case!:O

I hope I'm still thinking of that when I'm 88; or is that not your real age?;)

ShyTorque
11th Jul 2006, 00:26
ST,
I would like to have said "great minds think alike", but I guess "fools never differ" would be much more PC in this case!:O
I hope I'm still thinking of that when I'm 88; or is that not your real age?;)

No, not my real age - if so I would be as old as the RAF itself. I'm only... cough, cough...... years old :O

$hit! Even so, I've suddenly realised I'm well over half the age of the RAF :eek:

Young girls don't come across one as old as me too often. :(

Btw, where you at Scampton in 1989?

SASless
11th Jul 2006, 00:46
Shy,

Please to remember that even old rats like cheese.

212man
11th Jul 2006, 02:16
ST, God, you old barsteward (I'm only 45% of the age)! No, not in Scampton in '89; more a broken arrow than a Red Arrow!:(

SAS, old rats like anything, as long as it doesn't get stuck in their dentures (or beard)!

I see we've managed to elevate this thread to new cultural heights, as you said ST; don't go there!!!

Back to the thread; what was that horse's name again....?

chopper chix
11th Jul 2006, 03:55
Back to the thread; what was that horse's name again....? (from 212man)

my horses name is Gwedo... :rolleyes:

CYHeli
11th Jul 2006, 04:47
Why does your web site say
Pilots employed by Barossa Helicopters have experience ranging from 1000 hours to 12,000 hours operating in all terrain areas.
But further on it lists B-J as only having 350?
I assume the Chief Pilot has the 12,000 hours?
Good for you anyway. You have to start somewhere.:D

Pandalet
11th Jul 2006, 07:20
Young girls don't come across one as old as me too often. :(

And they apologise and wipe you off even less often? :E

Brilliant Stuff
11th Jul 2006, 11:02
I have to say your Uniforms are a bit more imaginative than our darkblue overalls.

chopper chix
12th Jul 2006, 00:11
we design our own uniform..... :sad:

huey
12th Jul 2006, 03:35
Hi Chopper Chix

Just finally got to WA and online.
Like to thank you and your better half for the bed for the night a couple of months ago and the copious amounts of alcohol.

Myself and the missus missed the TV show but I'm sure we'll get a copy from someone we know.

Speak to you soon

N & C

chopper chix
12th Jul 2006, 03:44
Hey Huey,

No dramas about the accommodation (you and your lovely wife are welcome anytime!!)
Alcohol?? whats that.... :eek: we dont drink - MUCH!!:sad: keep in contact!