PDA

View Full Version : Would You Do This For Another Soldier's Daughter?

SASless
4th Jul 2006, 03:12
The Nationality doesn't matter....just the thought the story tells.

The daughter of a Soldier

Last week I was in Atlanta, Georgia attending a conference. While I was
in the airport, returning home, I heard several people behind me
beginning to clap and cheer. I immediately turned around and witnessed
one of the greatest act's of patriotism I have ever seen.

Moving thru the terminal was a group of soldiers in their camo's, as
they began heading to their gate everyone (well almost everyone) was
abruptly to their feet with their hands waving and cheering. When I saw
the soldiers, probably 30-40 of them, being applauded and cheered for it
hit me. I'm not alone. I'm not the only red blooded American who still
loves this country and supports our troops and their families.

Of course I immediately stopped and began clapping for these young
unsung heroes who are putting their lives on the line everyday for us
so we can go to school, work and home without fear or reprisal.

Just when I thought I could not be more proud of my country or of our service
men and women a young girl, not more than 6 or 7 years old, ran up to
one of the male soldiers. He kneeled down and said "hi," the little girl
then she asked him if he would give something to her daddy for her.

The young soldier, he didn't look any older than maybe 22 himself, said he
would try and what did she want to give to her daddy. Then suddenly the
little girl grabbed the neck of this soldier, gave him the biggest hug
she could muster and then kissed him on the cheek.

The mother of the little girl, who said her daughters name was
Courtney, told the young soldier that her husband was a Marine and had
been in Iraq for 11 months now. As the mom was explaining how much her
daughter, Courtney, missed her father, the young soldier began to tear
up.

When this temporarily single mom was done explaining her situation,
all of the soldiers huddled together for a brief second. Then one of the
other servicemen pulled out a military looking walkie-talkie. They
started playing with the device and talking back and forth on it.

After about 10-15 seconds of this, the young soldier walked back over
to Courtney, bent down and said this to her, "I spoke to your daddy and
he told me to give this to you." He then hugged this little girl that he
had just met and gave her a kiss on the cheek. He finished by saying
"your daddy told me to tell you that he loves you more than anything and
he is coming home very soon."

The mom at this point was crying almost uncontrollably and as the young
soldier stood to his feet he saluted Courtney and her mom. I was
standing no more than 6 feet away from this entire event unfolded. As
the soldiers began to leave, heading towards their gate, people resumed
their applause. As I stood there applauding and looked around, their
were very few dry eyes, including my own. That young soldier in one last
act of selflessness, turned around and blew a kiss to Courtney with a
tear rolling down his cheek.

We need to remember everyday all of our soldiers and their families and
thank God for them and their sacrifices. At the end of the day, it's
good to be an American.

West Coast
4th Jul 2006, 03:30
Standby for all our cynical Brit friends to chime in.

This type of ****e does happen in the UK, God (or the queen) forbid it should ever make it to the press. Couldn't have the cynics panning their own. Then again, many lefties in the UK think its some jingoistic statement to fly the union jack. Don't want to piss off the immigrants.

I standby to be pleasantly surprised.

I can see one of the thankfully few, yawning as they emerge from the rack, scratching themselves in that place. Stretching as they start the computer, "Awww, bloody 'ell, what's this stooopid Yank stuff, let me get busy"

Blacksheep
4th Jul 2006, 03:46
We have stiff upper lips West Coast so it wouldn't happen to us. But we feel the same, believe me.

I've been a little boy with a Dad who was in harm's way. Mum and I were at a showground (The Billingham Show if anyone knows the North east) and there was a Royal Navy team there. Among their exhibits, they had a short wave radio and my Mum asked them if they could contact HMS Rinaldo on it. They fiddled about, made contact and next thing you know we were talking to Yeoman of Sigs Blacksheep. A crowd had gathered round and quite a cheer went up.

Jackonicko
4th Jul 2006, 05:01
The thing that's most alien to a Brit in this report is probably the cheering and clapping. We're just a more reserved and less demonstrative bunch, who might nod and smile our support and gratitude, or even say a quiet word, but would be unlikely to applaud. And perhaps especially not at the moment - when many support and appreciate our forces but who do not support the war in which they are engaged, and who do not therefore feel 'pride' for their participation. But we probably wouldn't have clapped even during a popular war - like GW1 or the Falklands.

We still sometimes stand for our national anthem, with a vague air of embarrassed patriotism, but we don't put our hands over our hearts, and we would view the US habit of getting schoolkids to swear alleigance to the flag as being somewhere between embarrassing, amusing, rather silly and slightly sinister. We regard the spontaneous chanting of "Oo Ess Ay" when GWB witters on with his homespun homilies with bemusement and/or disdain.

But we have our own stupid ways of displaying patriotism, too. Watch a Brit's eyes if Nimrod is played (about half of them will well up!) and listen to "God Save the Queen" being bellowed out as we watch our national soccer team sliding towards the next inevitable defeat. Or consider the quiet but arrogant way in which many of us are quietly convinced that we're better than you lot simply because we're lucky enough to have been born British.

So it's not the patriotism that the cynics will bash, nor the underlying emotions, it's the SEEMINGLY rather unsophisticated, APPARENTLY slightly crass, and ARGUABLY moronic way in which it's expressed. It's probably none of those things, it's just different, and it doesn't chime with our more cynical nature, nor with our more sarcastic and ironic sense of 'humor'.

teeteringhead
4th Jul 2006, 05:08
Such cynicism is a bit unfair West Coast. Try reading the "Uniform in Airports" thread.....

Pontius Navigator
4th Jul 2006, 06:09
Watch a Brit's eyes if Nimrod is played (about half of them will well up!) .

But don't ask him 'to name that tune.'

West Coast
4th Jul 2006, 06:25
teeteringhead
I did as you suggested, a good read. One thing I read in that thread and posted below scares the hell out of me. Whatever your vets and politicians have to do to stifle that attitude amongst a (hopefully) small minority needs to be done quickly lest the mood feed upon and expand.

"It seems we are to be treated as the Americans were upon return from Vietnam"

Maple 01
4th Jul 2006, 06:39
Silberfuchs, even if it didn't happen the way it was reported or at all it should have, every nation/society needs myths to draw strength from and perhaps this is a modern one- don't go looking for the 'truth' to deeply – I’m enough of a historian to know that most ‘facts’ are a mixture of what really happened, what should have and what someone wanted to happen but probably didn’t.

If you want to be cynical that's fine, personally I've had enough cynicism to last a lifetime and am happy to accept a few myths, otherwise the world becomes a very hard and cold place. IMO people are generally decent and the military (UK and US) are supported in general terms by their respective populations despite the best efforts of the media

Winco
4th Jul 2006, 07:20
West Coast,
I can understand your cynisism, but I would think that it happens quite frequently, and the answer to the question is a resounding YES!
Our problem over here, is that we don't 'advertise' the point like you guys do. I'm not saying you have it wrong tho',I believe that is a mistake on our part and I think we should promote these kinds of things, perhaps not to the extent that the you guys do, but promote them nevertheless.
Sadly, our problem here is that our government regards our service men and women as nothing more than 'cattle fodder' They are treated quite appallingly (as teeteringhead says, read "Uniform in Airports" thread.....)
I would much prefer your way to ours. Indeed, when ever I go to the States, even now as a retired serviceman) I am humbled at being treated better than I am in my own country! Thank you for that.

The Winco

foldingwings
4th Jul 2006, 07:26
Guys,

Why let the truth get in the way of a good story. We in the military (and our American cousins) need all the help we can get to garner support of the press, the people and the politicians in this crazy world. Thus, any form of Media Ops can help, true or false.

Yes, we Brits are too reserved and wouldn't clap or cheer but a little respect for the military in this country would not go amiss.

Britain is a strange place to live when it comes to pride in ones' nation. The Scots, Irish and Welsh are all proud to display overt patriotism but patriotism is a dirty word in England! The cross of St George has been hijacked by football fans (you should have seen how quickly they came off their cars when the World Cup was over for England) and political correctness and ethnic sensitivities too often overrule. But as Brits as a nation, IMHO, we now lack a true single identity. Too many forces and government decisions whether they have been to break down the Union brick by brick or increase immigration (there are plenty more examples) have taken their toll.

Sasless,

Thanks for the post, true or false, it sends a clear message to the American people and brought a tear to my sentimental old eye. I wish we could do the same here but the Brits are as West Coast implies, albeit slightly cynically, too worried about the consequences of overt support of their military (and here I include members of the Government). It won't change.

FW

Gainesy
4th Jul 2006, 07:39
Would You Do This For Another Soldier's Daughter?

Kiss a Grunt?!?:uhoh:

I'll pass thanks. Happy Birthday and Yeeeh Haaah.:)

tonker
4th Jul 2006, 07:52
Sorry but their was an advert for veterans day in the US with this very scene in it.

Hero worship at its very worse.

Rocket2
4th Jul 2006, 09:24
He then hugged this little girl that he had just met and gave her a kiss on the cheek.
I suspect that no matter how innocent the gesture was, had this happened in the UK the soldier would have been instantly branded as a Paedophile such as it is these days in this lame society of ours.

deskpushinshiney@rse
4th Jul 2006, 10:49
It is a great story that brings a tear to the eye, as a parent to a young girl, I'd like to think that a colleague might do that for me, whilst I'm off sweating my @rse off in some sandy hole somewhere! PYSOPS, Cynicism, bending the truth, who cares, it is a feel good story, so thanks for original posting.

Skunkerama
4th Jul 2006, 11:01
Wasnt going to post again but that story brought a tear to my eye.
I don't care if it is made up but it makes you think and that is what is needed. Another reason for people to think about the sacrifices being made by people at home and abroad.

Roadster280
4th Jul 2006, 11:57
Whilst desperate to let us know 'he was really there' he provides no other details wrt time/place of the event other than 'Atlanta, Georgia....last week' sometime, maybe?

Let me fill in some of the blanks for you then. This would have been Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, KATL. Depending on whether the little girl and her mother were flying home themselves, it would have been in the Atrium between North and South Terminals (landside), or in E concourse (airside). I fly in and out of there just about every week. The Omni air trooping flights leave from E concourse.

I wasnt there, I did not see the event. But I'll bet my house it is true. This is a scene that happens just about every day. A few months back, I was idly sitting in the bar, when an older guy pitches up, clears his throat, and announces that he'll buy a drink for every soldier in uniform in the bar. There must have been 100 men and women in there.

The airport itself allows uniformed personnel access to the fast track departure system, the airlines will upgrade uniformed personnel. People willingly give them priority in queues. Particularly those in desert combats.

Occasionally, I have been lucky enough to witness the return of the air trooping flights. The inter-concourse train returns passengers to baggage claim, again between North and South Terminals, all arriving passengers will come out here. At the top of the escalators is a favourite spot to meet people. The USO stand there is a very heart warming thing. I've seen lots of tears shed there, and the scene of a little girl hanging off daddy's neck as he struggles to carry his daughter and his pack. But he doesn't care, because the tears are streaming down his face. He's Hercules at that moment.

The tears are streaming down my face as I am writing this post, because it really gets to me, the cynicism. Downright lack of patriotism over there. I read only this morning that 13% of the oxymoronic "British Muslims" think that the 7th July bombers were martyrs. WTF!!!! Last July 7, I got emails from US acquaintances spread throughout this country expressing their sorrow, and hopes that the tradgedy had not touched me personally, nor my (UK-based) company.

So, enough detail for you, Silberfuchs?

Like most here I have my chest of medals from the worlds slagheaps.....

Me too pal. And I wear them with pride. Especially here.

How poignant that I write this post on Independence Day. I think I just made my mind up too. Thanks.

An Teallach
4th Jul 2006, 12:04
oxymoronic "British Muslims"

Why oxymoronic? I understand you have a fair number of Americans who are Muslim.

Roadster280
4th Jul 2006, 12:09
Why oxymoronic? I understand you have a fair number of Americans who are Muslim.

The Queen is constitutionally "Defender of the Faith". I have no beef with the majority of non CofE, but I do draw the line at the likes of "Muslim Parliament" etc. Maybe my choice of words was a little strong.

Tigs2
4th Jul 2006, 12:26
Silberfuchs
Good link to the song. Nice one.

fightingchickenplumb
4th Jul 2006, 12:35
yes is the answer to your question i would do that.

wanted to relate a ancedote to you guys of similar vein. about two airshows ago I was walking around the static display with my father when i heard a small voice behind me piped up "scuse me mister" i turned around and there were two wee boys about 7 year old "could we have your autograph?" I did point out i was only a armourer and not a pilot "thats ok mister" was the reply, so i signed there programme and asked if they were enjoying the day and what they liked and I told them what armourer did. At this point there mum came up and told me they wanted to be fighter pilots and were RAF daft and thanked me for my time, I was chuffed to bits and it made the long day that the airshow is worth it why?

Because about 18years before that day I myself stood on the same pan asking big ppl in green suits for there autographs and thinking "someday i will be doing that just like you"

and yes i still have the programmes in my bookshelf

foldingwings
4th Jul 2006, 13:46
FCP,

Good on you and well done!

Similarly, I recount that very recently, on a hot Friday afternoon, I was snaking my way home with the hood down and wearing my flying suit (posing, OK!) when, stopped at a roundabout, a coach driver slid open his window and shouted something down into my car! Taken aback, in a reserved British sort of way, I looked quizzically at the driver who was still shouting to me and gesticulating! Eventually, with my high tone deafness (years of sitting abreast 2 Speys) and above the noise of the traffic, I heard the words "Are you a pilot?" I smiled, slightly embarrassingly, and said nothing in response. "Are you a pilot?" he insisted. Again, I smiled, nodded vaguely and lurched off round the roundabout only to see the coach driver giving me a huge thumbs up and a broad smile of recognition and support; he was only about 28!

So we do get recognition and some do appreciate the work that we do.

Why didn't I engage with him more? Well the traffic noise and movement wouldn't allow it and I didn't want to disillusion him.

I'm a Nav!

FW

SASless
4th Jul 2006, 14:46
What matter whether this story is true or not.

The question posed was....simply....would you have the heart to extend such a consideration to a young girl who was missing her Father who was away in combat?

No need to argue about patriotism, the war, religion or anything else.

I posted the story merely because the thought of a Soldier doing a kind deed seemed a nice thought.

I wonder if I had changed the account to a British Military Airfield, British Soldiers, whether this thread would have a completely different tone?

It is a shame that folks cannot read a simple story and enjoy it for what it is, particularly when so many of them might themselves be the characters in the story one day.

I can just imagine the pleasure Skivvy Waver Blacksheep got when that call came through!:D

Roadster280
4th Jul 2006, 14:52
The question posed was....simply....would you have the heart to extend such a consideration to a young girl who was missing her Father who was away in combat?

YES. In a heartbeat.

Almost_done
4th Jul 2006, 14:55
What matter whether this story is true or not.

To answer your question yes I would.

And to some out there it would be nice to show our support of our own and not be held to task for it by the PC Liberalist Brigade. For offending some race or creed.:rolleyes:

I think the military in the UK suffers from the days of old, when men were sent to the military to escape prision or press ganged etc..... the Government still thinks that way, I believe. Hence 'Tommy' is still as apt today as it was when written.

BEagle
4th Jul 2006, 20:11
SASless, it was a charming story which, regrettably, probably wouldn't be allowed in the UK. You see, our nanny-state forbids parents even to video their kids in school plays, and if you slow down when driving past a school at chucking-out time in case one of the little monsters runs across the road, some stupid woman will probably consider you to be a closet paedophile...

Kids are warned never to talk to strangers - and if you kissed someone's child in the way you describe, you'd probably get locked up.

Such is life in the totalitarian Bliarite republic.

OK - another story showing how nice Spams are to little kids. (Westie can go play with his pistols - but it's true!). This was witnessed by my sqn boss when he was on exchange at SAC HQ in the early 1970s:

In the BX, a young family was shopping. Including their inquisitive little girl. She spotted someone else shopping; this was some multi-starred mega general. But it wasn't his uniform with its rows of medals, stars, tin rocket badge etc (like Patton but without the pearl-handled Colts) which got her attention, it was the 'brick' clipped to his belt which had just gone 'KKRRCHT' as she walked past.

"What's that?", she asked in one of those little girl voices which can be heard for miles. Much to the embarrassment of her dad.

"Err, this?"
"Yes"
"Oh - this is so I can talk to.....the Tooth Fairy!"
"You can't!!"
"Sure I can. What's your name?"
"Tammy"
"OK, Tammy....'Command Post, this is General Smith'
'Go ahead, sir'
'Yeah. Uhh - gemme the Tooth Fairy'

At this stage there was a pause. Love to have seen the expressions of the folks in the CP....

'Uh...say again Sir?'
'GET...ME...THE...TOOTH...FAIRY!!'
'Ah - OK, sir.........'
'Helloooo, this is the Tooth Fairy'
'Great. OK, Tooth Fairy, I gotta task for you. Tammy here looks like she's gonna be needing you soon, so I want you to tell her you're gonna be sure to call'
'OK Sir. Hello Tammy, this is the Tooth Fairy. I'll be coming to look after you just as soon as you need me. OK?'
'Gee, really? OK, thanks, Mr Tooth Fairy!'

"See - told you I could!", said the general - and strolled off with a big smile on his face leaving a happy little girl totally in awe!

Somehow I can't quite see that happening in the on-base used-to-be-NAAFI shop at RAF Wherever!

eagle 86
4th Jul 2006, 22:21
Silberfuchs,
You must have a sad life - doubting everything you read/hear/see - always searching for an angle - always looking over your shoulder. I've got news for you son - bending of the truth by our political masters and their obedient servants has been going on for centuries - its only modern methods of communication that exposes more easily this very human of traits. Take time out to smell the roses.
Nice story SASless!
GAGS
E86

Tigs2
4th Jul 2006, 22:58
BEagle
Nice one:ok: I hope the General promoted the chap in the CP (the Tooth Fairy) for being able to anticipate the needs of a senior commander, who also(thankfully) displays the traits of someone who is as mad as a bucket of spiders. Could you imagine Sandy Wilson or Billy Wrotten doing that??:D

"What's that?", she asked in one of those little girl voices which can be heard for miles. Much to the embarrassment of her dad.

"Err, this?"
"Yes"
"Oh - this is so I can talk to.....the Truth Fairy!"
"You can't!!"
"Sure I can. What's your name?"
"Tammy"
"OK, Tammy....'Command Post, this is Air Marshall Wrotten'
'Go ahead, sir'
'Yeah. Uhh - gemme the Truth Fairy'

At this stage there was a pause. Love to have seen the expressions of the folks in the CP pondering on the connection between the two words Truth and Wrotten....

'Uh...say again Sir?'
'GET...ME...THE...TRUTH...FAIRY!!'
'Ah - OK, sir.........'
'Helloooo, this is the Truth Fairy'
'Great. OK, Truth Fairy, I gotta task for you. Tammy here looks like she's gonna be needing you soon, so I want you to tell her you're gonna be sure to call'
'OK Sir. Hello Tammy, this is the Truth Fairy. There's no point me coming to look after you, I really need to come and see this guy for a bit of Truth therapy'
'Gee, really? OK, thanks, Mr Truth Fairy!'

OK! i know its late:oh:

Tracey Island
5th Jul 2006, 07:17
Brills and uplifting story.

But, who was the Mummy meeting at the airport if Hubby wasn't scheduled to be on the plane? :uhoh:

South Bound
5th Jul 2006, 07:19
TI

thanks mate, tea all over my keyboard and monitor now!

Selac66
5th Jul 2006, 09:25
Nice story Sasless. Supporting myths which rally the troops to the cause is fine but I would suggest that there are limits. For example, getting everyone off to Iraq with a good myth is one thing but what about if its disclosure as a lie results in hesitation when a real balloon goes up?

When I hear D-Day I think 'Go get em fellas!'
When I hear Iraq I think 'Shouldn't be there!'

Just another of those 'very human of traits.'

doubledolphins
5th Jul 2006, 13:50
Yes it sounds like the beer comercial, but hang on! most Americans seem to want to behave as if they were in a movie, even a very short one. So it would not suprise me if people are behaving as they have seen on the TV. If this is so, mine's a Bud!

Bluntend
5th Jul 2006, 14:07
Such is life in the totalitarian Bliarite republic.
Can't help but think that in this day and age, if a child were to run out of a crowd at a London Airport, Rail or Tube Station and tried to hug a serviceman she'd risk being shot by undercover marksmen before she even got close...
:uhoh:

SASless
5th Jul 2006, 14:50
Maybe all of this "Support The Troops" thing we do in this country is hype and bluster.

This link might begin to show some of the jaded what that hype is all about.

http://www.greatestjeneration.com/archives/001947.php

:D

Runaway Gun
5th Jul 2006, 15:22
I have no doubt that this story is most likely true. It 's a good one.

Recently I was in the US of A, enjoying a grande breakfast (in uniform), when a gentleman approached me. Without introducing himself, he simply shook my hand and stated "I'd like to personally thank you for what you do for us".
He didn't even flinch when he heard my obviously foreign accent, as I stammered out "Sure, no problem...". I was very embarrassed, as this was the first time any such thing had happened to me. Like it or not, Americans are proud of the military.

It beats back home, when the public ask me what time the next bus comes in... or glare at me.

Zoom
5th Jul 2006, 15:55
A lovely tale, but you have to wonder why Courtney didn't ask if she could speak to her dad as well. Most of the kids around here of that sort of age would have done.

Sorry, have I spoilt the story?

Reach
5th Jul 2006, 16:53
Sorry, have I spoilt the story?

Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be another one along soon.

Stafford
5th Jul 2006, 21:41
AT

Hmmm - "British" Muslims who appear to despise their fellow countrymen judging from the poll recently.

Muslims in UK have a wake up call now.

Amazing that their simple propaganda regarding the bombings and attacks on the "West" (although they appear to hate the world in general), New York, Bali, Madrid, Istanbul, London in particular, etc etc has been dressed up as retaliation for imaginary Western "aggression" against Islam, whilst the responses of the West to such treacherous attacks on our innocents are disguised as an attack on Islam.

Arse about face if you ask me and it is about time the Government in UK in particular stopped fannying about with the Law of the land to accommodate Muslim prejudice, intolerance and the farce of multiculturalism.

Lord Undercoat III
5th Jul 2006, 21:53
:cool: Er It think thats all meant to bring a tear the eye, it did just that not because of sadness but cos I wuz laughing well done yank you made us smile

Kiss a Grunt?!?:uhoh:

I'll pass thanks. Happy Birthday and Yeeeh Haaah.:)

Lord Undercoat III
5th Jul 2006, 21:55
Well done well said Hurrah :ugh:

The Queen is constitutionally "Defender of the Faith". I have no beef with the majority of non CofE, but I do draw the line at the likes of "Muslim Parliament" etc. Maybe my choice of words was a little strong.

Lord Undercoat III
5th Jul 2006, 21:56
Er I THINK that was supposed to be a thoughtful story.....it just me feel quite Ill:ouch:

The Nationality doesn't matter....just the thought the story tells.

eagle 86
5th Jul 2006, 22:15
I have trouble coming to grips with those (selac66) that seem to think there are good wars and there are bad wars. Why did we go to war just because Adolph invaded Poland? Why didn't the Brit government of the day accept Adolph's overtures of peace. Why do conspiracies abound that the Yanks knew Pearl Harbour was coming but did nothing about it because they needed an excuse to get into the ****fight. Why was WW1 fought. Why did we fight the Boer war. Vietnam, Korea, the next one - North Korea - because boys its human nature!
GAGS
E86

maxter
6th Jul 2006, 00:57
I have trouble coming to grips with those (selac66) that seem to think there are good wars and there are bad wars. ........E86

I don't suppose you meant it the way I read this, at least I hope not, but this logic say's that because I am pi.s.d off at NZ for beating us at rugby again, we will declare war on them and beat the tripe out them with our servicable 3 f111's and 4 f18's supported by a couple of rustbucket ships the yanks sold us a few of years ago. This should be no problem as there is no such thing as a good or bad war and because we took on Germany and Japan in 1939 and that was accepted anything now goes (unless they flog us as in the rugby. they must cheat as there are only 4 car loads of em left over there, the rest are here now:E ) After all it is just human nature.

What a load of tripe. That is 'school yard' bully type mentality that even the most bone-headed, un-pc of us know is not acceptable in todays society. That does not mean it doesn't happen ie Balkans Somalia etc of course.

Whilst those of us lucky enough to live in democracies, continue this luck, we all have the opportunity to have our own opions of the rights or wrongs of any action commited by goverments in our names. I happen to be one of a fair number in my country who believe we were wrong to get invoved in this escapade and the fact that we were/believe we were missled will make it much harder to trust our leaders if confronted with a more crucial decision later ie Iran, North Korea and I think this is a blight on our leaders involved in this folly.

I would also say that we made the mess that is Iraq and should not just walk away now because it is too hard to fix. It should be our duty to see that it is put right whatever the cost. I wish it wasn't seen just as an oportunity for a few large companies to make an obscene profit whilst genearting very little results. Just google oil pipline across Tigris river to see an example of what is wrong with the system as it stands. The US is trying to do the right thing but too many have taken the opportunity of zero accountability at times to do the morally wrong thing. Just because they cannot be prosecuted does not make it right.

Rant over

Sunfish
6th Jul 2006, 05:19
Keep this rubbish out of Pprune!

Sorry, but this story is what is called "glurge" its a fabrication used for propaganda purposes and there is a lot of it on the internet promoting the Iraq war and how the troops are saving us from being murdered in our beds by muslims.

From Wikipedia:"Glurge is a neologism describing a certain kind of melodramatic, saccharine story. The defining characteristic of glurge is that, while its purpose is to make the reader happy, the feel-good aspect is so overdone that some readers are likely to be nauseated rather than inspired. It often has a religious theme and is most commonly circulated via e-mail in the form of a chain letter. The term was coined in 1998 by regular Urban Legends Reference Pages forum contributor Pat Chapin as an onomatopoeia to communicate the feeling evoked by reading these missives. According to the Urban Legends Reference Pages, glurge is "the sending of inspirational (often supposedly 'true') tales that conceal much darker meanings than the uplifting moral lessons they purport to offer, and that undermine their messages by fabricating and distorting historical fact in the guise of offering a 'true story.'"

Classics include "The letter to his sons from a retired Attorney" and the one about the guard detail on a stormy winter night at the tomb of the unknown soldier.

Don't believe a word of this bollocks, it's written by professionals to elicit just the reactions some of you are displaying. The only bit that was missing was the usual last paragraph about how the Liberals are losing us the war and how we must support the Bush administration to prevent another 911. Goebbels couldn't do it better.

Here is the website it came from.

http://www.operation-support-our-troops.org/

This website and others like it, are simply trying to confuse "supporting the troops" with supporting the war in Iraq and Afghanisatn, both of which are total fiascos, as well as labelling anyone who thinks that the Bush/Blair team are war criminals who deserve to be hung, as "not supporting the troops".

eagle 86
6th Jul 2006, 05:41
Sunfish,
Then I suppose all the anti-war propaganda isn't.
GAGS
E86

South Bound
6th Jul 2006, 07:00
Who cares if it is Glurge. If it raises the public perception and awareness of servicemen then bring it on. Make the country proud of the boys and girls, help them get their news stories in perspective, maybe even say thankyou. Sadly at the moment, I get the impression that much of the population is willing Natasha Kaplinsky to finish the stroy about the dead servicemen so they can find out about Beckham's latest tattoo...

OFBSLF
10th Jul 2006, 12:52
I have no idea whether the original story in this thread is true.

A friend's son-in-law just got back from a very sand place on leave. He arrived here at BOS in his desert camo just last week. As many of you might know, people in Boston tend to be more reserved than elsewhere in the US. In addition, Boston is very liberal and has a larger proportion of opponents to the war than most other parts of the US.

This fellow was stopped numerous times as he walked through the airport by people coming up to him to shake his hand and thank him.

Outside the airport, the car-service drivers waiting for their passengers all walked over to shake his hand.

jonny5
10th Jul 2006, 13:17
It doesnt matter if stories like this are true!
Goebbels wouldnt have wrote stories like this i think you will find, more stories of contempt and loathing of jews, which is why he was a war criminal!

These 'stories' true or false are intended to help support servicemen who are just doing their job whther it be right or wrong!

Selac66
10th Jul 2006, 13:27
If gushing public support is what you are after then I suggest a stint with HM forces is not your thing. Changing your mind when the balloon goes up is like complaining about your newly built house at the airport. You may also notice that the importance of military (or covert) personnel is inversely proportional to their public acclaim.