PDA

View Full Version : North American Jump Seating?

WingsuitFlyer
4th Jul 2006, 01:13
Are there any U.S. base CX pilots having luck on riding jumpseats to work? I've been told that Jetblue is allowing CX pilots to use the jumpseat. I'm currently waiting for a class date and need to make plans for commuting to work.

Thanks

WsF

cpdude
4th Jul 2006, 02:14
Plan to buy ID tickets like everyone else then.:)

CaptainGSR
4th Jul 2006, 07:51
Just did a quicksearch on jumpseat on this forum and I have been reading a lot of conflicting posts on the subject.

Here is my question: are we officially on the jumpseat list of any US carriers or not?

There is a big difference in my book between being on the list and just finding a nice Captain willing to bend the rules and give us a ride in the back of his plane. Which is it?

I know Cathay is not part of CASS, I am just talking about being officially allowed to ride in the cabin. I was always told that it was not allowed by the FAA. Am I correct?

cpdude
4th Jul 2006, 14:35
JB..no problem, just show up in uniform.
Others like US Air, we are on their jumpseat list..though you have to sit round the back.
cpdud's info is about as useful as common sense is in CX. :E

Why don't you PM WsF and give him your details so he knows who to blame when he pitches up expecting the "no problem" jump-seat and finds himself stuck buying a full cost ticket. This guy is making plans prior to employment which will include commuting costs and you have just promised him something which, at best, will only happen occasionally. Let's have a re-think will ya?:}

CaptainGSR, I don't know about an official list these days but we do rely on the "nice Captain" method, which is hardly "no problem".

hog tied
5th Jul 2006, 00:10
I have to agree... jumpseating while working for a foriegn company is not easy, and ID 90 may be the best way to go. Sure, many captains may not take the time to verify that CX is not on the agreement, may not know, may not care, may not want to be rude and say no, etc. and you may get on on a case basis.

Consider this: You know it isn't legal, and at best you are hoping ignorance will prevail, but now you have put the captain in the position of breaking the rules weather through nievete or just plain looking the other way. Either way, one or both of you should be uncomfortable with the situation... I wouldn't want to make a practice of this, but then again the everyone has their own view on what is right... I say dig deep for the $20, it's the cost of not living where you are based.

BTW CX is not officially on any jumpseat agreement in the US post 9-11.

Overboost
5th Jul 2006, 03:11
I know for a fact that ATA Airlines takes many foreign carrier pilots, including Cathay, if they are "US certificated". It is for CABIN SEATS ONLY. I've gladly taken Cathay, EVA, Air Canada, and Jalways pilots in the past.

Not much of a scheduled service structure left there, but they do run several times a day from Chicago (MDW) to New York (LGA).

I don't know if this is a RELIABLE method for getting to work, but hopefully good info for someone in need.

junior_man
5th Jul 2006, 03:44
It is perfectly legal for them to give you a jumpseat in the cabin. You cannot ride in the cockpit jumpseat these days. In the cabin you are just a passenger who didn't have to pay.
As far as what your experiences will be like? Depends on a bunch of things.

If you used to work for that US airline, or have friends there, were furloughed from there, former ALPA member etc those things will help in your getting the jumpseat. Don't know anybody there, ex military and not ex US air carrier pilot, not US citizen, etc those things may not help.
Your way of asking, if you brought the guy a new Wall Street Journal etc can all make a difference. In other words "this may work, but your mileage may vary.....
Basically it is up to the Captain and he is doing you a favour as we can't reciprocate. Would I count on it to get to work? Not without a backup plan. Will it work? Sometimes.
Some airlines are better than others. US Airways is usually nice to other carriers. AA I understand you can't get past the gate agents to even ask the Captain. If you ride on the commuters or anywhere where the guys are looking for a better job, you might find yourself welcomed as royalty.

So, plan to have an ID 90 with you and if you get the jumpseat it is a good day. If not you use your ID 90. Biggest problem will be that all the airplanes are full, which may make you consider buying real tickets especially if it is near the holidays. OR move and quit commuting by air.

pakeha-boy
5th Jul 2006, 03:51
I carry several CX jumpseaters out of SFO on a regular basis.Since you are not in CASS,you are unable to have cockpit access,but more than happy to give you a seat in the back....AWA pilots(the company that saved USAirways backside)are more than happy to accomodate jumpseaters,just make sure you have all the proper ID.....if possible try to talk to the Capt/FO as gate agents tend to be "prickly"if they dont see you on the designated jumpseat list in the computer..if its my flight,youll always get a ride....welcome aboard

CaptainGSR
5th Jul 2006, 04:23
Thank you for all the info.

hog tied
5th Jul 2006, 05:22
It is perfectly legal for them to give you a jumpseat in the cabin.
OK, last swipe at the dead horse... if CX is not on the designated jump seat list in your ops manual, is it legal or not? I know it is done, but is it perfectly legal? Makes me wonder why the company bothers to publish a list. The bottom line is that it can be done, but not with the consistency of a 121 carrier, because it aint one.

I work for a US major, and CX isn't on our list, even though I think they should be. I will stand corrected if it is on any US major's published list, which is what captGSR asked. As for AWA, CX use to be on their list, but were dropped off several years ago, unless they have been put back on.

bigbeerbelly
5th Jul 2006, 06:29
One of the problems that I run into when jumpseating without being in CASS is that all the standby passengers with ID90s or ZEDs get a seat first. If there is still anything available just before the door closes, then the jumpseaters get a seat. Occasionaly a captain will make the FA jumpseat available to me as a last resort. Is that the experience everyone else has too? I always feel that I would rather be on a pass as it increases my chances of getting on.

BBB

Glacier1900
7th Jul 2006, 00:25
Im know nothing about this topic. I am interested in the result answer as I hope to work for Cx out of Canada. But I think that the part that is confusing me is the use of the term jumpseat. I have never heard anybody use that term for anything else other than in the cockpit. Isnt that what a jumpseat is? Perhaps different outside Canada. Anything outside the flightdeck is just ZED (or otherwise) is it not?

bigbeerbelly
7th Jul 2006, 00:48
Jumpseat is a privilige given to crewmembers that allow them to show their ID and license and get a seat. Everyone else needs a ticket. Very convenient when there are four different carriers flying to a city and you just want to get to work.

Hope that helps, a little.

BBB

HandyAndy
7th Jul 2006, 15:00
Strangely enough Glacier1900, I have a jumpseat in my car (it says so on the seat) - it is just a name given to a fold-down seat.:ok:

En-Rooter
8th Jul 2006, 08:11
Some U.S. airlines used to do jumpseats for ATC's anybody know if they still do??