PDA

View Full Version : Is it all worth it?

RITZER82
3rd Jul 2006, 21:04
Hi I am very strongly thinking of starting flight training integrated course with a school but I have this thing in my mind telling me dont do it because when I eventually come out of flight school with a commercial pilots licence it will be highly un likely that I will be employed with an airline because I will have very low hours of around 250 hours wgich this is nothing when airlines are asking for atleast 1,5000 hours at the least with others asking for more, now can any body please tell me how I can increase these hours because even getting 1,000 hours is a hell of a long way and it will most certainly drain your pocket alright, this is one career that I wanted to do ever since I was a young lad but knowing the fact that you will be un likely to be employed by airlines because of your low hours and competition being fierce is this industry worth going into, all assistance will be much appreciated, thanks.:sad:

Chesty Morgan
3rd Jul 2006, 21:20
Yes it is worth it.

There are airlines who will take you on with low hours. I got my first airline job with 165 hours.

Doing an integrated course will help as a lot of airlines have close associations with the likes of Cabair and OATS. Have you thought about sponsorship? Easy, Flybe etc..

Some of my mates weren't lucky enough to get airline jobs straight away.
They did things like air ambulance work, biz jets, aerial photography and that sort of thing. Great flying and good experience.

There are always flying jobs. They might not be with major airline carriers but they are all stepping stones to that dream job.

If it is what you really want to do, as you've stated, then go for it.

I think the ATP Academy still do airline placements? Kind of a sponsorship thing when you've finished your training. Anyone care to elaborate??

All the best mate

Chesty:ok:

RITZER82
3rd Jul 2006, 21:39
That has cheered me up thanks for that mate I just hope what you are saying is true, by the way is Cabair a good school to do it with as I am thinking doing it with them, and also about the sponsorship thing with Easyjet do you need good qualifications to enter the scheme because unfortunately I have not good five GCSE grade c's, thanks.:)

captwannabe
3rd Jul 2006, 21:40
If you can't get an airline job straight away, do another flying job. You can build experience, and apply for airline jobs too. I wouldn't give up hope, you are only 24 now, so you have plenty of time. I think you should go for it. You only live once, and who knows, you might get into an airline with low hours.

CM,
Are you talking about the CTC ATP course? There's a thread on this in "Interviews, jobs & sponsorships"

Chesty Morgan
3rd Jul 2006, 21:43
Ritzer. I went to Cabair. I think all these places are much of a muchness. They all have to teach to the same syllabus. I'd suggest you go and visit as many of the schools that you can and get a feel for them yourself.

Not sure about qualifications needed for sponsorship. There will be plenty of people on here who will know though. Check out the Interview and Jobs forum.

CaptW. Yep that's the one. I don't know much about it to be honest.

RITZER82
3rd Jul 2006, 21:51
OK but wouldnt going to a good school with reputation such as Cabair be widely recognised by airlines, and also do you know any schools that maybe charge less, I was looking at New Zealand where it is less then half the price you pay here but its too far away from home, thanks.

Lucifer
3rd Jul 2006, 22:22
a) Make sure you can do it by submitting yourself to the GAPAN tests - you mention low score on the Bristol trial questions on another post - make sure you are not wasting your money.

b) If you are seriously considering it, make sure you know far more about the job market at the other end, the schools themselves, the modular vs integrated schools and what is right for you, before investing the money.

c) Integrated students often end up in jet jobs quicker for the reasons mentioned on other threads - i.e. being a known quantity and good marketing on the part of the schools. Modular students are also successful at low hours, but are more likely to work in other jobs first such as being FIs first. Modular may fit around your working life better if you don't have the funds.

d) Do a PPL first - are you any good and do you know?

e) New Zealand is no good if your licence is not valid in the UK - make sure you know where you can do the course first.

RITZER82
3rd Jul 2006, 23:00
Where can I do do this Gapan test I dont know nothing about this test, what does it test you on, I am interested in doing the Integrated course but can I do the PPL course first and would that mean that I will not have to do this again when I do the Integrated course, oh and I retook the same test on airframes where I first scored 40% and now scored 90% so it just shows I need to be taught by a ground school instructor first but not bad go knowing the fact I have never come across this subject, thanks.

captwannabe
4th Jul 2006, 07:58
I think FTE discount 20 hours is you have a PPL. OAT don't, you still have to pay full whack. Not sure about Cabair.........

Hamil000
4th Jul 2006, 10:22
i am in college, and i plan to go to Aus for my flight training, reason, to learn about another country
does not matter where your working but the most inportant thing is that you chanced your dream and that your flying, chance your dream, never give up, if you stop you lose, keep trying you win, reach very high , reach to the sky, dont give up, anything is possible

go for it and good luck

captwannabe
4th Jul 2006, 10:40
I believe I can fly...............;)

RITZER82
4th Jul 2006, 18:46
Thanks for the encouragement guys.:)

Lucifer
4th Jul 2006, 22:40
http://www.balpa.org/intranet/How-to-bec/index.htm