PDA

View Full Version : DE or UNI

JAG3
3rd Jul 2006, 17:40
Hi Guys
At the minute I've finished my AS levels and therefore have 1 year of school life left. Like many at my age I have a bit of dilemma on what to do next regarding the RAF. BTW I've went through the search engines to find similiar threads but again I think every bit of advice needed is unique.

To be honest I've wanted to join as soon as possible but for some reason I don't think I'm up for it yet. Another dilemma is the fact that NI doesn't have a UAS so if I do go to UNI in NI the RAF might frown upon the fact that I haven't crossed the water which is something I dont want to do if it's not for a job.

Thanks for any advice and ALL is welcome:ok:

threepointonefour
3rd Jul 2006, 19:00
Go to Uni, have a laugh. I joined as a DE at 18 but was a bit young really, so if you feel the same way, just hold back for a while.

Don't worry about not 'crossing the water' - I've met plenty like you who have been successful as aircrew.

MostlyHarmless
3rd Jul 2006, 19:03
Second that. Went in as a DE and held for :mad: ages on a UAS (Not the worst hold in the world). They all had a riot, and grew up a lot. Not sure if they actually *learnt* anything - but that's not what Uni's about, is it ;)

charliegolf
3rd Jul 2006, 19:05
Jag 3

I agree with pi. Go to uni- play it right, and the Raf might pick up some of the tab.

Think about a mainland college though- if up to now you've been a bit of a home bird, you'll get over the homesickness. Sorry if I've misread your situation.

CG

JAG3
3rd Jul 2006, 19:25
Thanks Guys
Charlie its not about being homesick, its more of just how much of a big move it is when its not even a job. Say if you leave UNI at 22/23 would that not mean that youv'e only got one stab at going for pilot, but you do have a chance of WSO or FC which are my two other preferences.

3.14-when you say you were a bit young what do you mean and how did it affect you for training etc.

BTW what does the RAF prefer, to be honest it wouldn't bother me not going to UNI as its something which I could definitely live without but the appeal is obviously the degree, the good time and maybe if it does grow you up in some ways. And does the OTC take into consideration a persons RAF ambition and does it cater for you because its an officer training corp and not an army one-seems that NI does have an OTC thank god.:)

One last point, is there many RAF aircrew from NI, its just you never really hear from any and I only have heard of one harrier squadron leader from hear whos dad was my PE teacher.

Thanks Guys and hope you can reply with some good advice:ok:

Antelope
3rd Jul 2006, 19:57
And does the OTC take into consideration a persons RAF ambition and does it cater for you because its an officer training corp and not an army one-seems that NI does have an OTC thank god.:)

The OTC is the army equivalent of the UAS, just as the URNU is that of the Navy. I believe that the OTC do losts of army type activities to prepare you to be a platoon commander unlike the UAS who go down the flying side of things, or at least did when I was in.

Ant

Melchett01
3rd Jul 2006, 20:08
You should definitely go to uni first off, even if it's to do something like macramy or basket weaving - geography is a particularly well kept secret, not too many hours & damn near impossible to fail :ok:

If nothing else, uni will give you a bit of time to see the world with the advantage of a safety net under you and get a bit of life experience, which is something that frequently, but not always, shows through when you look at DE / Grad entrants side by side. Most importantly, as the RAF is currently being flogged to death, it will give you 3 of the best years of your life and that's no exaggeration.

But on the practical side, if the RAF decide to grill you on why you went to uni rather than joining straight up, the answer is easy. It's called plan B, something you will find you need frequently out on leadership exercises at IOT! There are no guarantees that you will get into the RAF in any of your chosen branches or that you will pass training. Also, there are no guarantees of a full career. You may find yourself in the brown and smelly if all your plans come unstuck and you find yourself late-20s having been chopped off the Typhoon OCU with no other offer of RAF Police or the dole queue. A degree will give you a few skills to bank away, just in case!

Do uni, drink lots, play sports, fly - if you can and chase girls. And if you have any time, a bit of work here and there tends to be appreciated by your lecturers! Trust me, you know it makes sense:ok: