PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Surcharges

James 1077
3rd Jul 2006, 12:37
Is anybody else particularly annoyed by Fuel Surcharges? I completely agree most of the reasoning behind them - fuel prices are exceptionally high and the airlines need to get more money in to cover this. I have absolutely no problem with that.

What I find annoying is that they don't put these charges into the actual fare and try and hide them in amongst taxes etc (which, to be honest also annoys me)!

Why can't they simply quote a fare that covers all of the complusory costs for buying that ticket? If it costs £200 for the ticket, £50 for taxes and charges, £150 in fuel surcharges and £10 credit card booking fee then quote me £400 for the flight and £10 if I chose to pay by credit card.

Saying the flight costs £200 isn't fooling anyone and is, if I and my mates are anything to go by, annoying lots of people!

<Rant over>

wanderin_star
3rd Jul 2006, 13:25
Completely agree with you. Imagine buying something from a shop and finding when you get to till price has doubled with delivery/packing/storage charges whatever. Shops would not get away with it so why should airlines/travel agents. I just want the price quoted to me, dont really care how it is made up.

dwshimoda
18th Jul 2006, 12:29
The answer is that aviation fuel is exempt from fuel duty. Therefore the surcharge goes directly to covering the increased fuel cost. If it were put into the ticket price, the Chancellor would take his 17.5% VAT from it, and so the surcharge would have to be even higher.

I understand it's frustrating, but paying a £20 surcharge is better than paying a £23.50 ticket increase.

The SSK
18th Jul 2006, 12:51
The answer is that aviation fuel is exempt from fuel duty. Therefore the surcharge goes directly to covering the increased fuel cost. If it were put into the ticket price, the Chancellor would take his 17.5% VAT from it, and so the surcharge would have to be even higher.
I understand it's frustrating, but paying a £20 surcharge is better than paying a £23.50 ticket increase.

Uh??? You don't pay VAT on air tickets.

The airlines will tell you that fuel surcharges can vary from one week to the next and you can't stick a sign on the back of a London bus saying 'Paris for £59' if a week later you have to cross out the £59 and make it £66.50.

James 1077
18th Jul 2006, 15:42
The airlines will tell you that fuel surcharges can vary from one week to the next and you can't stick a sign on the back of a London bus saying 'Paris for £59' if a week later you have to cross out the £59 and make it £66.50.

But how often do the surcharges actually vary?

And advertising Paris for £59 when it is a physical impossibility to get a fare at that price due to compulsory charges is simply wrong.

That would be like saying "Buy a VW Polo for £1*"

"* = Admin fee of £8499 will be added to the purchase price"