PDA

View Full Version : Floats Work in Canada

flying_flick
3rd Jul 2006, 03:49
I am a fairly low hour / new floats pilot wanting to move to Canada and was wondering where are some of the best locations for floats pilots?

Thanks Flick

sec 3
3rd Jul 2006, 08:25
Northern Ontario is probably the best place to get a float job followed by Quebec ,B.C., Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, not necessarily in that order.In Quebec speaking french is almost a must,but not manditory.Good luck!:ok:

219joochiat
3rd Jul 2006, 14:36
And hopefully you will have a couple of hundred hours on floats.
British Columbia is not bad either, but wherever you go in Canada, those are the minimums.

PozativeR8
8th Jul 2006, 06:00
well CBP.. thats not always true.. although for the most part you are correct, but there is sometimes that lucky break as was for me. I was hired on a C-185 on floats with only 520hrs Total Time and 50hrs on floats ( something i did at my own expence ).
had to fly 25hrs dual for insurace.. but that was not a problem as in the break up season your busy setting up camps and outposts.. so that only took a weeks to do really.

so don't give up.. but take what you can get.. remember.. no mercy and no loyalty required.. on that note also remember it's a very small industry..so don't burn a bridge in the process.. I was a bush pilot back in 1994.. and still running into guys I know around the world.

Cheers
P.R8

redneck_pilot86
13th Jul 2006, 23:57
well CBP.. thats not always true.. although for the most part you are correct, but there is sometimes that lucky break as was for me. I was hired on a C-185 on floats with only 520hrs Total Time and 50hrs on floats

Got you beat, I was hired direct to PIC on a 185 with 240 TT and 25 floats. And no, mommy and daddy didn't set me up with the job.

Try to find a company with a small aircraft that is privately registered for camp checks, etc. Don't be afraid to work a dock...I didn't have to, but I'm the exception to the rule.

Best of Luck
ST

Slapshot
14th Jul 2006, 00:21
Don't forget Manitoba and Saskatchewan. There is a reason they call Saskatchewan the land of 100,000 Lakes. ;)

I got my first job out of Flin Flon Manitoba flying floats.

Good luck.