PDA

View Full Version : Waddington Air Show

The Real Slim Shady
2nd Jul 2006, 17:02
Just back from the scorching sun of the Air Show: in and out with no delay, so a big "Thank You " to all the folks who worked in the heat to make it so straightforward for the "viewing public". Gold Star, Tick,VG.;)

What wasn't so good were the flying and static displays: no Tristar,VC10,C-17,F-18,A-10 or any really heavy metal from "our friends in the US".
Regrettably, that and the flying display do indicate the extremely serious overstretch the Forces face.

The mate in the Typhoon put on an excellent display as did the G-4: missed the Harrier but must have been brill too.;)

The RNZAF 757 driver is a nutter: try that with 235 pax and 6 cabin crew.:D :D :D :D

Ollie White worked manfully with his Chinook and Barry Jones and his AAC guys gave it what for ( the Lynx driver needs certifying for the things he did in a helo), and the Reds were technically brilliant but uninspiring, despite the commentator's enthusiasm. The Canberra mate was trying to make certain he used up every bit of fatigue left on the jet before it gets scrapped ( 10 out of 10) but too many civvy aerobatic teams and not enough military metal.

Any chance of the rest of NATO helping out for next year?

Spugford
2nd Jul 2006, 17:08
Qu'est-ce que c'est G-4???

The Real Slim Shady
2nd Jul 2006, 17:36
Sorry typo.

Should be GR-4.:ugh:

Lafyar Cokov
2nd Jul 2006, 20:16
Ohhh - I thought that the popular, yet classical, all male singing quartet from X-Idol were now doing flying displays!!

stickmonkeytamer
2nd Jul 2006, 20:39
It was a great, very hot day, but undermined by commentators being forced to talk about the sponsors a lot more than they should... including website addresses for companies- a bit cXXp really there (especially the woman commentator who sounded more worried than Judy Finnigan!). The GR7 got of the deck but had to canx again and land back due to a tech snag. The Kiwis were fantastic. Well done to all, especially the world's newest aerobatic team (I'm not biased at all!!!):D

Spugford
2nd Jul 2006, 20:58
Sorry typo.
Should be GR-4.:ugh:

Nice one! Pleased to hear the often lowly regarded Fin still does the biz for the crowds.

Thud_and_Blunder
2nd Jul 2006, 21:59
I'd just like to add a comment about the quality of work Waddington was able to provide while all the preparations for the airshow were in full swing. On the Thursday, with the first aircraft arriving and all the other activities associated with putting on such a massively-disrupting show in full swing, I bell'd-up to Wadd Zone and asked for a quicky refuel en route with the Air Ambo to a serious incident out to the east. The bowser was rolling-up just as we touched down, cheerful crew helped us to refuel and off we went to pick up yet another dullard motorcyclist.

Big thanks to all concerned - you make it look so easy!

Samuel
2nd Jul 2006, 23:04
I wasn't there of course, but that RNZAF 757 routine is pretty standard these days. Always impressive to see the world's biggest fighter do its thing!:ok:

Navaleye
2nd Jul 2006, 23:49
Does that count as an FJ?

NURSE
3rd Jul 2006, 07:19
Merlin looked superb on display just a pity the commentry and some of the static line aircrew were so non comital about it would have been nice to see one on the static line as well. the 800 Sqn Harrier was great to see with the fly navy sign in the cockpit. The NATO AWACS was trying to poke fun with the Portugal scarf in the cockpit. Though the star of the show had to be the canberra what a shame thease are going to retire the static display on its history and role was excellent and well done to the PRU for that. Another pity was XM607 Languishing on the far side of the runway.

EGBKFLYER
3rd Jul 2006, 10:56
Also went on Saturday...

Good stuff:

Su26 singleton. Seen it before - still awesome.
757. If the airlines flew like that it would make life so much more fun.
Red Arrows. Still the best. Might have seen it many times before but the sun glinting off 9 Hawks against a perfect blue sky still does it.
The missile thingy. :D to the crew programming that ground-to-air battery to track the display aircraft or passers-by they didn't like.
Organisation: Minimum queuing to get in and out - very efficient parking ops and the ATC et al did a great job of picking up all the FOD during the day.

Not so good stuff:

Commentary. Couldn't hear it - more loudspeakers needed.
Blades. Formation looked a bit raggedy to me and trying to do the Reds display with four Extras doesn't work IMO.
Beer. £3 a pint and no choice? :ugh:
Timing. Was it just me or did the display timing seem a little disjointed

Head to Earth
3rd Jul 2006, 14:16
Awesome show for all the family - Well done Waddo, better organised than most but it's only going to get busier!! Looking forward to next year already.

EGBKflyer - judging by your username, if you think the Blades were raggedy you should pop to the hangar next door and tell them face to face!;)

mpb277
3rd Jul 2006, 16:13
Also went on Saturday...
The missile thingy. :D to the crew programming that ground-to-air battery to track the display aircraft or passers-by they didn't like.

Rapier FSC, probably the last time out at the Waddington show, Army take ouer all Rapier committments from Nov 06.

Beer. £3 a pint and no choice? :ugh:
Bit steep prices, luckily we had beer for 80p a tin in the Sqn crew room.

Clockwork Mouse
4th Jul 2006, 09:53
Went on Sunday with all the family, expecting a great day out.
Waddington is supposed to be the RAF's airshow, the window on the RAF's flying. As a spectator I found it very disappointing. Gave the impression of the RAF as an organisation in terminal decline. So sad.
Travel and parking arrangements were excellent.
Hospitality was, of course, first class.
Flying display programme was abysmal. Where was the RAF? Where were our NATO allies? The few RAF aircraft gave their best - the Canberra was awesome. Lots of civvy stunts, and the RNZAF did outstandingly. But no Harrier (u/s both days - no comment), no F3, no Jaguar, no C17, and we must have left before the Hawk came on, if it was in the display - the programme had little relevance to what was actually going on. As for the commentary - if you couldn't hear it you were in luck.
On the plus side, thought the Reds have an attractive and dynamic display this year, though a bit ragged at times, probably because it was so bumpy.
We all understand the current overstretch, but if the situation doesn't improve next year it might be better to cancel completely.

Vifferpilot
4th Jul 2006, 12:20
.....and off we went to pick up yet another dullard motorcyclist.....

...probably knocked off by some blind dullard in an Audi/Volvo/BMW/you name it...

Thud_and_Blunder
4th Jul 2006, 17:00
(at the risk of hijacking the thread) No, not knocked off by any 4-wheel motorist - he was on the track (briefly) at Cadwell Park trying to see how good he was on his Ninja. Says it all really. When we went past the track on an earlier flight, the paramedics noted that the bikes were out and commented "Oh ****, Organ-Donor Day. We'll be back there again later...". Pretty good at their job, these paramedics...

fj1
4th Jul 2006, 20:02
Flying display programme was abysmal. Where was the RAF? Where were our NATO allies? The few RAF aircraft gave their best - the Canberra was awesome. Lots of civvy stunts, and the RNZAF did outstandingly. But no Harrier (u/s both days - no comment), no F3, no Jaguar, no C17, and we must have left before the Hawk came on, if it was in the display

Harrier Flew on Saturday, as did the Hawk, Hercules,Tornado, Typhoon, Tutor, Tucano, Chinook and Merlin. There is no Jaguar or F3 Display any more and chance are there never will be. There has never been a C17 display team. The above is all the RAF have now(more or less), what do you want them to fly ?

Are NATO allies where at Koksijde !

Roguedent
4th Jul 2006, 20:16
I was due to attend with a nice shiny VC10, may have even been the one with the nice red tail, but that weekend turned out to be quite busy and there were no frames available. Sorry folks. I guess the C17 and Tri* mates were a bit stretched too.

FJ1 -- There is a C17 display. It does a bit of flying round, a bit of reversing, then a landrover pops out of the back etc.. etc..

Clockwork-- If the day was cancelled, you would complain about that!! :ugh: People have worked very hard in an already busy schedule to bring you the best they can. Please acknowledge that the people attending the airshow to show you round the displays, and to an extent the pilots and engs involved in the air displays are giving up another weekend away from their family to try and make the day as succesful as possible.:=

Try writing to B-liar, to get our aircraft back in the country, so you can have a nice full display.:D

Shame I missed it, I always look forward to Waddington, ahh well, there is always next year...unless clockwork gets their way:ugh: :ugh:

fj1
4th Jul 2006, 20:22
[QUOTE=Roguedent] FJ1 -- There is a C17 display. It does a bit of flying round, a bit of reversing, then a landrover pops out of the back etc.. etc../QUOTE]

Yes but that tends to be fairford special, not season long display team as such.

Selfloading
4th Jul 2006, 20:38
I had a fantastic day many many thanks to all those who made it possible.

Mr Tick Tock
4th Jul 2006, 20:49
Went on saturday. Had a brilliant day in the gorgeous sunshine. Fantastic hospitality, great parking arangments and despite some people say a great displays both in the air and on the ground.

Many thanks to all who worked very hard to make it happen!

Already looking forward to next year.

Skeleton
5th Jul 2006, 01:17
Was there.

Very very good, in fact well p....ed off.

No Harrier is no big deal, the ones that one to, move there ego's into a red cockpit. No loss there then.

Other than that not a lot to be said.

We may no longer have the the aircraft to take part, looking at the static park and flying programme the americans are in the same boat.

But when were were struggling like Waddington obviously was to put on an airshow...... it tells you something.

Find new recruiting methods people, because the toys are overseas!

Runaway Gun
5th Jul 2006, 01:45
Come on Skeleton - tell us what you really think.

There's a Bingo Hall just up the road from your house - I suggest that's more in line with your interests...

Why go to an airshow if you're going to complain about the latest front line aircraft, and the historic ones?

Skeleton
5th Jul 2006, 03:13
Come on Skeleton - tell us what you really think.
There's a Bingo Hall just up the road from your house - I suggest that's more in line with your interests...
Why go to an airshow if you're going to complain about the latest front line aircraft, and the historic ones?

I did not say anything about historic. As i said the Harrier did not fly.:D

Roguedent
5th Jul 2006, 12:50
Fj1 - If all the ME fleets had a dedicated display crew and airframe, I for one would volunteer for that. Great, :D I get to do airshows for the season and not go to the sand! I think the C17 boys do a display when ever they go to a show. Same thing with the Tri* and the VC10. IF we have the frames we do a flypast, ala farnborough a couple of years ago for me. That one sticks in my mind, as it was the year the B52 flew all the way from the states, missed the airfield by 10 miles for the flythrough, and to make it worst, went round again to the same disused airfield, before flying home. Thats what happens when you put 2 navs on a jet.:ugh: :ok:

6foottanker
5th Jul 2006, 13:53
Think of it in real terms. The RAF has 4 C17s. Then think about where we are committed, how much stuff has to be moved there, and you'll come up with a simple reason why you'll be lucky to see one in action at a show this year.

And then the broken Hercs which mean that the Tri* and mighty 10 are a bit busier than usual.

And then the well informed DTMA colonel who doesn't want "HIS" (:confused: :confused: ) assets posing at an airshow when they should be moving HIS troops round the world at weekends instead. Well thanks, the fun police seem to be well and truly on top this year.
How about thanking our hard working AT fleet for the job they do, without whom the British military could acheive the square route of :mad: all.

NURSE
5th Jul 2006, 21:54
Well maybe the answer is to disband all the display teams, return the red arrows to front line duties and mothball the 10 red hawks. Basically tell the public sorry we're to busy and we don't have the resources to display at airshows......oh yes their Airships just like the army and navy brass don't have the dangly bits to do that.

RIDIM
5th Jul 2006, 21:59
Well maybe the answer is to disband all the display teams, return the red arrows to front line duties and mothball the 10 red hawks. Basically tell the public sorry we're to busy and we don't have the resources to display at airshows......oh yes their Airships just like the army and navy brass don't have the dangly bits to do that.

From what I have heard on the grapevine, the reds could be the only display team next season.

Vifferpilot
10th Jul 2006, 12:38
....he was on the track (briefly) at Cadwell Park trying to see how good he was on his Ninja. Says it all really....

(Not a hijack attempt)...a lot of people pay for a track day to improve their skills, which is more than can be said for your average cage driver :=