PDA

View Full Version : Flying to South of France - Help Please

stuartforrest
2nd Jul 2006, 10:21
I am going to St Tropez on 24th July in my Bonanza and wonder if anyone can give me any advice on airfields that are near and we would be able to hire a car at.

Also advice on VFR routing and perhaps any good stop off airfields that are around the half way mark.

Flying Boat
2nd Jul 2006, 12:54
As far as I remember, Toulon is near and friendly, I think Cannes might be an option too. Been a while.

Seeing as you are in Morecambe and in a Bonanza I would suggest Rouen, about half way, GA friendly, long runway, fuel, customs (Check if pre notification required) and a good restaurant in the terminal if you get there at lunch.

When I fly VFR in Europe (now IR Rated) I tend to keep airports near my route, that way I can easily divert to an airfield I have just passed if the weather clamps in.

Off the top of my head, maybe Rouen - Chartres - Limoges - Nimes - Toulon.

If the route is a bit dog leg I apologise, I am writing this from memory, no map or info here in Indo.

Have fun.

FB

stuartforrest
3rd Jul 2006, 08:03
Utter Bugger.

Mrs F has decided that we should take commercial flights now so the Bonanza will be staying in the hangar that week.

One day I will make it to Cannes. Thanks for the tips.

jammydonut
3rd Jul 2006, 08:23
Meanwhile you could brush up your navigation and flight planning

Davidt
3rd Jul 2006, 10:44
Try this route which worked well for me recently

left UK via vfr route SAM-MP thence to Auxerre (Chartres/Pithevers) to customs in and fuel, customs by notice, two hour IIRC?

Then down the Rhone valley stayng out of Lyons way turn left at Montelemar overflying Provence

Fab trip we went on to Corsica so I cannt help with the that part of the question . We coasted out over St Tropez vor.

Enjoy!