PDA

View Full Version : What is more important?

RITZER82
1st Jul 2006, 19:59
Greetings all a quick general question, is having good academic qualifications more important then how you perform at flight school in order for airline selection, all assistance will be much appreciated, thank you in advance.:ok:

microfilter
1st Jul 2006, 22:19
I shouldn't worry about qualifications- just get the bristol database...

asuweb
2nd Jul 2006, 01:09
shouldn't worry about qualifications- just get the bristol database...

Basically, what you're saying is that you consider having a sound understanding of the subject material unecessary, because most of the answers can be found in the Bristol Database... All very well for getting your 14 passes, but I imagine that actually understanding the subject will stand you in better stead in the future..

As for the original question, most airlines only stipulate that you must have GCSE's, however I would suggest that at least A levels would be prudent. Some people decide to get a degree prior to training, some don't. One thing I would say is having a good sound academic background to fall back on may be advantageous in the event of loosing a medical, lack of employemnt etc.

RITZER82
2nd Jul 2006, 09:05
Well my GCSE grades are not all that due to personal problems that left me with poor grades, I did do a GNVQ Advancded level in Business & Finance where this is equivalent to two A level subjects and went to University where I achieved a 2:2 classification but almost after a year I since graduated from University I still havent got my self an office 9-5 job yet and therefore I am now doing a security job in a prestigious location over looking runway 27R at London's Heathrow which is a plane spottters paradise and with it getting quite good pay for plane spotting, how many plane spotters do you know get paid for this hobby. Hopefully I save enough money within the two years and commence my training with either Cabair or OAT, thanks for the response guys as always much appreciated.:O

microfilter
2nd Jul 2006, 12:13
An understanding of the subject is impossible in 6 months, that's why Bristol's excellent database is a lifeline. Don't worry about your grades at all- you need no specific academic ability to become a pilot.

RITZER82
2nd Jul 2006, 13:11
Thanks for your reply, how do I access Bristol data base then, can you please provide me with a direct link to the site, thanks.:)

asuweb
2nd Jul 2006, 13:39
http://www.bristol.gs/

Follow the link for ATP online. Registration is £50 for 3 months.

GusHoneybun
2nd Jul 2006, 14:12
An understanding of the subject is impossible in 6 months

sir, with respect, you are talking complete toilet. if you have no understanding of the workings of our industry how do you expect to get a job in it.
I can see the interview now

[Chief Pilot] - So Bloggs, tell me, what are some of the performance problems associated with an Aft C of G?
[Bloggs] - eer, B, yup the answer is B
[Chief Pilot] - ??!!??!?. Can you expand on that a little bit.
[Bloggs] - yeah, it has something to do with stability, but then again so does answer C, but B is more right.
[Chief Pilot] - I see, thank you bloggs...... NEXT!!!

feedback should be used to teach you what you don't know yet, not the other way round.

RITZER82
2nd Jul 2006, 14:23
Just tried the example tests for Bristol I found them quite tricky I was getting an average of around 45%-50% which has demotivated me, is this quite normal knowing that I have not studied none of these subjects or should it really come natural to people, thanks.:sad:

microfilter
2nd Jul 2006, 14:25
Gus - You're right- I should have said complete understanding....- and funny that- your example sounds exactly like a feedback question!!!

Ritzer- don't worry- just get on with it- and once you have caned the feedback you'll find that you will be getting 80-90%! Or is that because you've learned so much in six months perhaps?

asuweb
2nd Jul 2006, 14:57
Sorry mate.. Are you seriously suggesting that one should not study the subjects, and simply do feedback from day one? As Gus has said, feedback should be used to help you identify weak areas, not as a tool for learning the material.

microfilter
2nd Jul 2006, 14:59
No, not at all.

smith
3rd Jul 2006, 06:33
I think it is possible to understand all of the material in the notes, however I do not think it is possible to retain all of the information in the notes.

If I were to resit all the exams now with no preparation I doubt I would pass as I think I forgot it all within days of sitting the exams, let me on Bristol for a couple of days prep and I'm pretty sure I'd nail them.

Mercenary Pilot
3rd Jul 2006, 14:06
Basically, what you're saying is that you consider having a sound understanding of the subject material unnecessary, because most of the answers can be found in the Bristol Database... All very well for getting your 14 passes, but I imagine that actually understanding the subject will stand you in better stead in the future..

As for the original question, most airlines only stipulate that you must have GCSE's, however I would suggest that at least A levels would be prudent. Some people decide to get a degree prior to training, some don't. One thing I would say is having a good sound academic background to fall back on may be advantageous in the event of loosing a medical, lack of employment etc.

Asuweb...That’s one of the most sensible things I've read on here in a while! :ok:

Sadly it is possible now to pass the ATPL exams on feedback alone but you will look like a fool if you can’t explain something simple like...what a compass swing is or what happens to NDB's at night etc.:confused:

Besides...I think the majority of us are actually interested in most of the subject matter anyway?

My £0.02... Academic qualifications will definitely help your CV but flying skills are more important. However, Airlines aren’t going to know how good your skills are or how you got on in training until they call you for an interview, which won’t happen unless they liked your CV in the first place.

If you have the opportunity to do A levels and a Degree then you probably should but not being educated is hardly the end of the world. One point to mention, all the sponsorship schemes I've ever seen do require cadets to have 5 "C" grade or higher GCSE and 2 A levels.