PDA

View Full Version : High Performance Endorsement in the U.S

Capt. Crocodile
1st Jul 2006, 14:58
Hi, I'm planning to go to the U.S in a couple of months and convert to an FAA licence. I would like to do some parachute ops in turbo props like Twin Otters. Is a twin engine endorsement sufficient? I've heard the words "High Performance Endorsement" thrown around. Is this an actual endorsement that requires specific theory training and tests at a flying school? If so, does it involve training in aircraft over a certain weight? Any info greatly appreciated - Thanks!

B2N2
1st Jul 2006, 15:12
High performance endoresement is a one-time instructor sign off required to act as PIC of N-reg aircraft with an engine of more than 200BHP.
Some ground school and usually only one flight required.
Gorundschool (can) consist of some theory on turbo charging, super charging, operation of cowlflaps, fuel injection, engine temp management etc.
Any aircraft > 200 BHP will suffice for the flying part.

Capt. Crocodile
2nd Jul 2006, 07:25
Thanks B2N2!! :ok:

bfisk
2nd Jul 2006, 07:31
Did my high-performance endorsement in a A36 Bonanza. Did a little half hour gig on the airplane systems, then went out and did like a normal checkout flight (i.e. a couple of takeoffs and landings, a couple of stalls and steep turns), and that was all there was to it.

And, AFAIK there is no such thing as a twin engine endorsement. You would have to add a rating (with a FAA check pilot or a designated pilot examiner), like a checkride which you may or may not pass. An endorsement may usually be given by a CFI.

Julian
3rd Jul 2006, 11:11
Correct Bfisk.

To fly twins on the N you will require a ME rating which is a checkflight with an examiner and issue of a licence.

HPE is an endorsement in the logbook signed off by your instructor. I got mine by default as the twin I did my ME rating in was classed as HP and so killed two birds with one stone.

J.

Chilli Monster
3rd Jul 2006, 11:18
Hi, I'm planning to go to the U.S in a couple of months and convert to an FAA licence. I would like to do some parachute ops in turbo props like Twin Otters.

What's the MTOW of a Twin Otter? If it's over 12,500lbs then you need a type rating under the FAA system. If it's not then no reason why you can't fly it on a straight Multi-Engine rating.

Whether it would be wise to do so without sufficient training is, of course, another matter.

Capt. Crocodile
3rd Jul 2006, 13:11
The Twin Otter has 12500 lbs MTOW. I have 80 hours of twin time on Partenavia's and Duchess in OZ. I will have to do a ME rating in the U.S and hopefully wont take too long with prior exp. Thanks for your help!