PDA

View Full Version : WARNING - unmarked anemometer towers

PH-UKU
30th Jun 2006, 22:36
WARNING - there are more and more unmarked and unlit anemometer towers going up, particularly in Scotland.

I've spotted 2 in the last month. All are about 200-250 feet high, are coloured brown (really clever that one) with a little anemometer on top. They seem to be sited at potential windfarm sites, but they are
VERY DIFFICULT TO SPOT.

Now, they may well be marked in the AIS NOTAM website, but I find that the most un-user friendly webpage in existence.

Anyone out there spotted any more of these ?

What do low-flying miljets think of these ?

From the centre of Crieff - 056deg Mag/3.0nm
56deg24'22.6"N/3deg46'45.5"W

:uhoh:

Pontius Navigator
1st Jul 2006, 07:37
We have a couple in Lincolnshire. One off the coast that we learnt about from the Boston Harbour master that he thought we might be interested in and another from the protest group who want 'low flying' rather that a wind farm.

Mind you, like much of the present 'system' only now, with wind farms springing up and more ready to roll are we doing a wind survey! In India they mapped the whole of India more than 6 years ago and about 4 years ago India was the No 5 producer of wind energy in the world.

Better though. A Dane offered the MOD a scheme for realistic tactical low flying with no cost in providing enemy defences. The MOD bit (but at no cost).

Yes, I kid you not, it was flying through wind farms. Probably reckoned that the jet wash would help generate electricity on a calm day (or night :eek: )

chevvron
1st Jul 2006, 07:52
Unfortunately if they're not more than 300ft agl, they're not considered an 'Air Navigation Obstruction', and hence are unlikely to be depicted on normal topo. navigation charts; UKLFC's may be different however. There IS a chap in the Directorate of Airspace Policy who 'keeps an eye' on all obstructions however, so if you're concerned, pm me and I'll let you know his name.

Green Flash
1st Jul 2006, 11:02
'Unfortunately if they're not more than 300ft agl'

Bit of a bugger if you are wazzing round 14T, a notably draughty part of the world, with nothing on the clock. Any comments from the McTonka's?

SAR Bloke
1st Jul 2006, 16:08
If you've seen two in the last month then you've missed loads.

The bloody things are all over the place. It is extremely hard to spot them even at the slow speeds that us SARBOY W**kers fly at. I am sure that they are going to catch someone out one day.

The one that was put up out at sea North of Rhyll was a single antenna about 240ft high. We fly IMC at 200ft over the sea and to say it didn't show up very well on radar would be an understatement.

Flt Lt Spry
1st Jul 2006, 17:21
Bit of a bugger if you are wazzing round 14T, a notably draughty part of the world, with nothing on the clock. Any comments from the McTonka's?
Today 08:52

In the TTAs, any obstructions over 80' appear on the LFC. It's outside the TTAs where the real DANGER lurks...