PDA

View Full Version : 747F Pushback Video

Glacier1900
30th Jun 2006, 21:20
On www.airsidetv.net (http://www.airsidetv.net) there is a frieghter video feature, and one of those vids is CX video from 1997. Not really a great video, seems promision at first but pretty much just a video of pushback. But at the end there was something wierd. It looks like the SO is outside and taking off the tow bar from the tug. Is this normal? I couldnt really believe it. If so, how no earth does he get back in?

HotDog
1st Jul 2006, 01:42
Can't get the video but can't believe it either although you can gain access throught the L41 hatch. What you saw was more than likely the ground departure engineer disconnecting the tow bar, wearing his white shirt and single bar.

Glacier1900
1st Jul 2006, 05:24
Yes the guy did have a single bar, pilot shirt and tie. What is a ground departure engineer? Man im not in Canada anymore. And what is a L41 hatch.

C172Driver
1st Jul 2006, 07:41
I'm guessing that's supposed to be Airsidetv.com
His name badge is too thick and almost looks black to be a cx pilot name badge. CX pilot name badge is thinner and gold in colour.

HotDog
1st Jul 2006, 07:43
Glacier, the ground engineer handles arrivals and departures, communicates with the cockpit during pushback, gives the brakes on command etc. The L41 hatch is the access door to the E&E compartment (Electric & electronic bay) which is accessible from the ground or from the cabin. Cheers, HD.

HotDog
1st Jul 2006, 07:56
Thanks C172, I saw the video on Airsidetv.com,[not .net]. I can now confirm the guy in the white shirt and tie with single bar on his shoulder is a Cathay maintenance engineer based in Melbourne, Australia. Cathay ground engineers wear uniform on duty. The station engineer in charge wears four bars.

spannersatcx
1st Jul 2006, 19:46
His badge is in fact metal, yes we have them too (or we used to before cost saving)!
We also have 2, 2 1/2 and 3 bars as well, and we have our own shirts too, in fact pilots wear engineers shirts!:eek:
Tie is a company standard tie, my don't we look smart, well until we get covered in oil and grease when the stuff hits the fan.:ok:

CV880
4th Jul 2006, 02:49
Nice one Spanners.
It was not uncommon to have to do the pushback then clamber on board at some ports in the "good old days" where there was no maintenance staff (at least none that could be trusted or could speak English) and a ground engineer was carried to do the turnaround. It was standard practice at SHA for several years before CX/KA found a ground engineer prepared to live there. After pushback with the Tristar you had to disconnect the towbar then climb on top of the tractor and get into the avionics bay which was fwd of the nose gear then into the cockpit. On the 747 you climbed up the back of the nose gear using the tyres and steering cylinders as steps and into the avionics bay, then into the first class cabin which startled the pax a bit. You had loosen the carpet first or you couldn't open the cabin floor hatch. Did a couple of more civilised Tristar pushbacks where some kind soul pushed some maintenance steps out with the aircraft so I could enter via the galley door. Ahhh, the "good" old days.