PDA

View Full Version : Obituary, Wing Commander Grumpy Unwin, DSO DFM*

airborne_artist
30th Jun 2006, 14:20
In the Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=&xml=/news/2006/06/30/db3001.xml).

"Initially, Unwin would not apply for a commission, since a senior flight sergeant earned a few more shillings than a junior officer. Once the rules were changed he relented, and was interviewed a number of times; but his background and passion for football did not impress the selection boards. A colleague tipped him off that an interest in horses would make a good impression. For his next interview he decided to tell the panel of his knowledge and love of horses. The board accordingly recommended him for a commission - he had omitted to tell them that his experience was limited to the occasional meeting with the pit ponies at his father's coal mine."

He once commented: "I presided over 300 courts martial, and not one chap was found guilty of low flying."

"One of his pilots said of him: "He was like a terrier, and an outstanding CO who always led from the front. He never failed to back you up if you were right.""

Jackonicko
30th Jun 2006, 14:43
One of the top scoring Spitfire pilots during the Battle of Britain, on No.19 - the first unit to receive Spits, I know that George Unwin (like his old squadron mate, Gordon Sinclair) was puzzled to see his old squadron relegated to a shadow identity for a training unit (like almost all of the other really distinguished fighter units of the Battle 74, 56, and now 41, or disappeared completely like 54 and 92) while units like 5, 11, and 25 survived.....

Always high value, George Unwin always had time for journos, authors and researchers, and always greeted a fellow pilot with even more enthusiasm. Grumpy as a Flight Sergeant, perhaps, but as an old codger, the nickname seemed impenetrable.

airborne_artist
30th Jun 2006, 15:11
"No 19 was heavily engaged during the Dunkirk crisis in May 1940. Although an experienced pilot by then, Unwin was not allocated an aircraft for the first sortie. He complained bitterly, and it was this that earned him his nickname, which remained with him for the rest of his life."

ZH875
30th Jun 2006, 16:35
I know that George Unwin (like his old squadron mate, Gordon Sinclair) was puzzled to see his old squadron relegated to a shadow identity for a training unit (like almost all of the other really distinguished fighter units of the Battle 74, 56, and now 41, or disappeared completely like 54 and 92) while units like 5, 11, and 25 survived.....Jacko, I think you will find 54(R) Sqn at Waddington, looking after the training of E3/R1/Sentinel crews.

microlight AV8R
30th Jun 2006, 16:41
Sad to see the like of this man departing from us. We owe so much to such people. To those who knew him, you are truly privileged. RIP

Jackonicko
30th Jun 2006, 17:43
ZH875,

Yeah, and my cat has decided that she is 92 Squadron. It doesn't really count, though, and it's a poor end for one of the great BoB fighter squadrons.

cazatou
30th Jun 2006, 18:29
Jackonicko,

Tomorrow is the 90th anniversary of OC 32 Sqn winning the VC on the first day of the Battle of the Somme.

Which is more important? Sqn numbers or glorious deeds?

By your reckoning we should bin 617 Sqn in favour of say 141 Sqn or 264 Sqn.

Jackonicko
1st Jul 2006, 01:14
No, just the reverse.

I'm saying that the distiunguished wartime service of units like 19, 92 (the top scoring RAF fighter squadron), 41 (top scorers in the 1940-41 period), 54, 56, and 74 should count for more than the mere unbroken longevity of less distinguished units. These are the Dambusters of the fighter world.....

Dave Unwin
4th Jul 2006, 11:58
Isn't it amazing that despite the fact that he had ten confirmed kills, was one of the top scoring aces of the BoB and had a DFM & Bar (one of only 60 throughout all of WWII to be so honoured) - that he had to apply for officer selection several times as "his background and passion for football did not impress the selection boards".
You'd have thought that ten confirmed kills and a DFM & Bar would have been more important than the fact that he was working class!

Cumbrian Fell
4th Jul 2006, 12:34
Reading the obituary, I noted that his aspirations for a commission where initally unsuccessful due to his passion for the round ball game. Quite right, too.

Dave Unwin
4th Jul 2006, 13:42
Well, call me a bluff old traditionalist, but in the middle of a shooting war I'd rather fly with someone who could shoot down three enemy fighters in one day (as George did) than with some chinless wonder who had been to the 'right' schools and was interested in Rugby. :E

Jackonicko
4th Jul 2006, 14:04
He'd have let the side down terribly in the enemy officers mess, before being carted off to a Stalag though, old chap.

Dave Unwin
4th Jul 2006, 15:19
Good point Jacko, although as he was clearly quite good at his job, one would hope that Jerry wouldn't ever get him - and they never did!:ok: