PDA

View Full Version : fly in Australia with UK PPL?

acuba 290
30th Jun 2006, 00:10
just if anybody know, is it possible to hire a plane and fly with UK JAA PPL in Australia? Maybe some validation need? Has somebody this experience?

172driver
30th Jun 2006, 09:57
For a newly minted PPL that sounds like a looooong X-country ;) !

Check out this link

http://www.flyingmag.com/article.asp?section_id=13&article_id=521&page_number=1

The print edition also had a box explaining the requirements (can't find it at the mo). Although written from an FAA perspective, I guess it's more or less the same for a JAA license. IIRC it was pretty straight fwd.

Suggest you also post something on the Oz forum, these guys should know.

vetflyer
30th Jun 2006, 11:08
Yes it is quite easy to do , ivolves a few forms and giving money to the Oz equivalent of CAA!! (CASA)

Did it in Jan ...PM me if you want more details. Where abouts are you planning to go?

jonnoboy
30th Jun 2006, 13:59
I am also out here as I write flying on the back of my UK PPL. There are a couple of options depending on how long you plan to say here. I am flying on whats called a Special Pilots Licence (SPL) and other than filling in a few forms (and waiting 3 months) I just had to have a single checkout flight and was good to go. Worth reading up on radio/air law procedures, although not too different from UK. I had a couple of flights with an instructor to get used to the phraseology and local procedures and I have been fine (IMHO) since.

You can also convert to a Oz (CASA) licence and you have to do a single ground exam which covers everything and a flight test. You will be made to learn more doing this which might not be such a bad thing!

I did read when i applied for the SPL a year ago that it was being phased out. Not sure what the score is at the moment. It lasts indefinetely as long as your UK licence and medical is current! I will have been flying on it for 18months by the time I leave.

BTW, flying in Oz, particularly Sydney is awesome. So much variation in such a small area!

JB

ozzieausterdriver
2nd Jul 2006, 09:16
Hi,

I have been flying around oz on a certificate of validation whilst converting my UK PPL to CASA equiv. You can do this if you have a valid reason, like just moved out here etc. I have just completed the medical and now the airlaw exam, then a flight test and a heap of bucks to CASA and away I go.

Jonnoboy,

Check out awesome flying on my recent trip to Broome in an Airvan!!!!!!:) I will look at Sydney soon in my Auster.

acuba 290
2nd Jul 2006, 16:00
but if i want to fly maybe 2 days, during visiting my friend there?

ozzieausterdriver
3rd Jul 2006, 09:59
I think if I were you I would just visit Victoria and fly in my Auster and save all the fuss!

PM if you are interested

GK430
3rd Jul 2006, 14:53
Go dual - it's not so expensive and in the past, I have found instructors more than willing to trip along wherever suits.
There is generally a good range of types available at the larger clubs.
If only there for a short period, getting used to some of the local idiosyncrasies and buying charts etc. is a waste of good flying time.

Ozzieausterdriver - when at home in Vic - where are you? Down in Gippsland?
I've done the more usual; Moorabbin, Essendon, Wallan, Tyabb, Pt. Cook, Avalon, Moorooduc etc.

ozzieausterdriver
4th Jul 2006, 05:42
GK430,

I have a strip behind the house 16 nautical miles north east of Latrobe Valley Airport. I house 2 austers there and fly to work at Latrobe each day {well when its not foggy anyway!}

The strip is 250 metres long and its down hill on the way out and uphill on the way in :eek: ! I like the challenge you understand.

CH

GK430
4th Jul 2006, 07:48
:{ Way too exciting! Give me 2,000+m hard any day....
Mind you, did a touch and go on grass the other day.

Fog, yep i remember those mornings and folk up here would be amazed to know that it can get cold and foggy down there!

ozzieausterdriver
4th Jul 2006, 10:23
GK430,

Mind you I have to say I do also rent a 650 metre strip for auster no2 and its like Heathrow in comparison to the house strip!:D Problem is its a massive 3 ks away:oh:

CH

P.s when you coming home??

acuba 290
4th Jul 2006, 10:27
i am going to be in Sidney obnly and also try to fly 2-3 hours there, not far away from Sidney. Any tipps where to get not so expensive Cessna172 or p28 to rent and how to fly with UK PPL?

GK430
4th Jul 2006, 14:01
acuba,

You will not get your licence validated that rapidly to make self hire an option.
I have mine already and it was posted to me in the U.K. after i got back. The next problem i face are the latest secuirty issues - in fact, it put me off bothering last time down there.
Try a Google search. I used to be a member of the Royal Victorian Aero Club, so guess there is an equivalent up at Bankstown in NSW. (SYD GA airfield).

Ozzie - hope to be down for Avalon - been to the last two and remember seeing an Auster overhead in CAVOK wondering where he was:ugh: (hence I got lots of pics of Airvans!)
Perhaps that great expanse looks like another planet to you strip flyers:D
Mind you, they open the grass one up come showtime.

3 clicks away - and to think that the inhabitants thought nothing of a 100k to the pub & back...okay, the getting back was a bit problematical especially if you had one of those 4X self flying models!

acuba 290
30th Jul 2006, 20:04
I am flying on whats called a Special Pilots Licence (SPL)

...and how long it takes and how to make this SPL?;)

Trinity 09L
30th Jul 2006, 20:27
Acuba
Go for the above option of hire with an instructor. I went to SYDNEY April 05 and did 1.75hrs around Sydney from Camden flew North East to Hornsby, then down the coast at 500' - across the harbour entrance then after passing Kingsford Smith up higher, then inland to go round the reservoir & dam, all in a new (ish) 182, I handled :D , he did the radio and nav':bored:

acuba 290
30th Jul 2006, 21:41
Acuba
Go for the above option of hire with an instructor. I went to SYDNEY April 05 and did 1.75hrs around Sydney from Camden flew North East to Hornsby, then down the coast at 500' - across the harbour entrance then after passing Kingsford Smith up higher, then inland to go round the reservoir & dam, all in a new (ish) 182, I handled :D , he did the radio and nav':bored:

Please give me advice with school and what kind of rental prices whey have there? Maybe you have link with place, where you took 182?

Trinity 09L
31st Jul 2006, 19:20
check your pm's:ok:

acuba 290
31st Jul 2006, 19:35
check your pm's:ok:

thank you! ;)

On the Spot
6th Aug 2006, 11:01
Getting the special licence was relatively easy but there are also new rules requiring security cleared ID's for PPl's using some of the larger airports and these take longer to get hold of and involve a police report. So dependent upon where you are going - to/from you might be just as well taking an instructor and flying as P2 to reduce the cost and hassle overall

AndyA
15th Aug 2006, 09:19
I've just been reading through this thread and I have a question to add.

I'm just about to submit my application to CASA for a CV based upon my UK JAA PPL.

I was just about to post it off when I noticed all the stuff on the website about IDs (AVID/ASIC) :ugh:

I actually phoned CASA last night and asked whether this was required and was told that there was no requirement for these IDs when flying on a CV. However, having spoken to the flying school in Melbourne (Essendon) by email they say it would be worth getting one unless I'm only flying dual.

Regarding the ASIC/AVID application itself, I'm a little confused about the ID you need to send and who in the UK you can use to certify the documents...help?

Anyone have any experience or advice?

windy1
15th Aug 2006, 20:25
I understand that ID requirement is only required if you plan to fly from/visit certain classes of airfields, probably the larger ones with commercial/scheduled traffic. I flew from Perth Jandakot late 2005 and it was not needed. Suggest you get your CV organised, meet up with your club/school and decide about the ID in the light of where you decide to fly to.

AndyA
16th Aug 2006, 08:04
I understand that ID requirement is only required if you plan to fly from/visit certain classes of airfields, probably the larger ones with commercial/scheduled traffic. I flew from Perth Jandakot late 2005 and it was not needed. Suggest you get your CV organised, meet up with your club/school and decide about the ID in the light of where you decide to fly to.

Thanks for your help! I've decided to send in the application form for an ASIC anyway as the flying school I'm looking at using is at Essenden which I believe handles Passenger traffic too...

Better safe than sorry (hopefully!)

GK430
16th Aug 2006, 13:20
AA,
What pax flts in/out of Essendon.....apart from RFDS;)
I know the Daks are parked up but they only move bush fire fighters around and I can't think of anything there other than exec jets and a few light twins likely to do charters.

GK

AndyA
16th Aug 2006, 16:44
AA,
What pax flts in/out of Essendon.....apart from RFDS;)
I know the Daks are parked up but they only move bush fire fighters around and I can't think of anything there other than exec jets and a few light twins likely to do charters.
GK

I was assuming about Essendon - I'll happily stand corrected :)

I'd just assumed it was that big an airport!

GK430
17th Aug 2006, 10:20
If you're around Nth MEL - go to Essendon I guess.
South East - Moorabbin
South West - maybe Pt. Cook.

Moorabbin akin to Bankstown, Jandakot etc. Lots of choice of schools, clubs and aircraft etc. and a good website.

What do you fly? Think they might even have an SR-22 available at Moorabbin.

AndyA
17th Aug 2006, 11:14
If you're around Nth MEL - go to Essendon I guess.
South East - Moorabbin
South West - maybe Pt. Cook.
Moorabbin akin to Bankstown, Jandakot etc. Lots of choice of schools, clubs and aircraft etc. and a good website.
What do you fly? Think they might even have an SR-22 available at Moorabbin.

thanks for the advice.

I've been flying C150/152/172 and PA28s in the UK. Was planning on something similar but not fussy to be honest!

I've not got any experience with Constant Speed Props or retractable gear so as long as it's something basic I should be fine :-)