PDA

View Full Version : Flight levels and routing changed out of LHR?

Pistol Pete
29th Jun 2006, 20:31
Hi folks
I was wondering if anyone who flies out of LHR or ATC could answer this for me? I live in Ham and within the last 2 weeks the wide-bodies have been coming lower and much closer over our house.
This is obviously when 09 L/R is in operation and does not seem to change/abate when the runway switch happens at 3pm.
Is this anything to do with the weather and the reduced lift or just summer flight level and routing out of LHR? Would love to get an idea if this is a permanent or seasonal thing.
Oh yes, I am a PPL not a member of HACAN so please go easy on me :) .
Take care, best regards and safe flying
Pete

5milesbaby
29th Jun 2006, 21:10
The only bit I can help with is that when on easterlies LHR doesn't switch the landing runway at 3pm, that only happens when landing westerly

Hand Solo
29th Jun 2006, 22:00
Probably just the high temperatures causing poor performance. There've been no changes to the SIDs that I've noticed.

anotherthing
30th Jun 2006, 09:34
No changes to the sids or procedures... high temperatures, light winds, high pressure... all willl affect the climb performance

WHBM
30th Jun 2006, 11:25
We seem to have been on 09 a lot recently so you are possibly just noticing more traffic than normal.

Pistol Pete
30th Jun 2006, 12:56
Hi folks

Many thanks for the info. It is much appreciated. Yes, it seems that a combination of above is leading to the additional noise. Oh well, it is too hot to close the windows :).

Take care

Pete

HZMIS
30th Jun 2006, 23:31
Non standard departures on the southampton departure routing, where a/c have been taking off and been limited to climb initially to 4000ft, hope this helps, but often many resrtictions on VOR departures north and south of LHR, mainly for a/c heading to the states or south bound. I believe there is one departure routing where a/c climb straight ahead to 2 miles from heathrow or 2 DME, before making a right turn to head 220 degrees, then further ascend ing to 6000ft.

hope this helps

all the best, you just got to relax especially in this heat!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
1st Jul 2006, 07:26
HZMIS.... what's a "VOR departure"? I've never heard that term. 2 miles DME is not quite the same as 2 miles from Heathrow as the VOR/DME is north of Heathrow. That particular procedure has been standard for some time for traffic departing 09R and turning to the west. The actual heading after the turn will vary as it is assigned by the radar controller immediately prior to departure and takes into account inbound traffic downwind for 09L. Some SIDs use the London VOR/DME and others use the ILS DME to determine turning points. Outbounds restricted to 4000 ft sounds like a temporary measure - maybe a photo survey aircraft or many other possibilities.