PDA

View Full Version : Mass & Balance ATPL Query

Callsign Kilo
29th Jun 2006, 11:29
I don't know if I am being completely daft here, but here goes anyway. My question relates to the Load and Trim Sheet within CAP696 for the MRJT. I can't figure this out, but how is the Dry Operating Index (DOI) calculated from the information given in the load sheet?

Thanks CK

Keith.Williams.
29th Jun 2006, 13:53
The DOI is just the total moment at the DOM divided by a fixed number to reduce it to a manageable size. For the purposes of the the JAR exams you will be usually be given the DOI if you need it to answer a question.

There is at least one question in which you need to find the DOI using the trim sheet. To do this you just draw a line vertically downwards from the DOM CofG position to the bottom of the trim sheet. You can then read off the Index on the scale at the bottom.

Callsign Kilo
1st Jul 2006, 16:06
Thanks for getting back to me on that

Do you, or anyone else know that you need to memorise standard mass tables for the exam? Some texts suggest any standard mass information will be supplied for the exam if required, however I have been told in the past that you need to learn them

Thanks again

CK

Alex Whittingham
1st Jul 2006, 19:17
In the UK the CAA have said they won't test standard masses until the tables are available in the CAP as a reference so, no, you don't need to learn them.