PDA

View Full Version : Discovery Wings

SparkyBoy
28th Jun 2006, 07:51
Not sure which countries this channel is available, but it's one available on the UK Sky TV.

I had never really paid much atention to it, until I started working towards my PPL and that started me browsing through the schedule. I've got to say it's REALLY dissapointing and such a pity to have a channel dedicated to aviation and put uch little effort into sourcing good programmes.

I was expecting to see things like:
Ground Schools
VFR Flights
Adverts for flying clubs

that kind of thing.... instead it's all documentaries about MiIGs and Stealth Bombers, which may be of interest but not really relevant to my aviation experience and I'm sure not yours. These episodes are repeated 5 times a day with the occasional documentary about steam trains thrown in for some reason.

Theres so much potential in the channel and it's just a pity those who run it, don't realise that, so until things change I'd rather have my tongue beaten wafer thin by a steak tenderiser and stapled to the floor with a croquet hoop than watch it again! :P

EGBKFLYER
28th Jun 2006, 07:55
Turned on the other day and they had Pete Waterman talking about TRAINS!:ugh:

Can't they have Discovery Rails or something for their chuffing and leave us pilots in peace?

And another thing. On the station ident, there's that bloke looking at a spinning two-blade prop - which is turning backwards! Annoys me every time I see it :{

SparkyBoy
28th Jun 2006, 09:50
I sent them a long email and they said they would take my opinions into account - I wont hold my breath. :rolleyes:

Randomtox
28th Jun 2006, 11:13
I have to agree re: the prop turning the wrong way ! Really gets my goat. Can't be that hard to get an essential fact like that right !
I used to watch it a lot - and then when they started doing Discovery Wings / Lawnmowers / Trains etc I just stopped watching it.
National Geographic has some better (although fewer) programmes on aviation.

random

FlyFreeWbe
28th Jun 2006, 11:21
I agree that Discovery Wings has taken a dive. They do some good stuff, but its mostly the engineering side of it - like the making of the A380, or FlightPlan where you experience a day in the life of an airliner. National Geographic is good, again if you're into the engineering of it. They show a lot on Air Crash Investigation etc.

Basically you've got to pick a day and hour slot if you want to see anything good. The rest is pants. What's ships and trains got to do with wings I ask you .. If you do get a reply or whatever from Discovery, would be good to hear about it Sparky

ffw

Farrell
28th Jun 2006, 11:29
Best I've seen for a while in there is Bruce Dickinson presenting "Flying Heavy Metal"

can't get anyone to identify the cool opening title music though......any music buffs out there?

Cricket23
28th Jun 2006, 11:47
I'm sure that most everyone gets the 'training blues' from time-to-time, I know I did.

But in all honesty, nobody can do it but you.

To get over my blues I booked every weekend for 8 weeks in advance, knowing that something like the weather would intervene. In the end I would fly about half of the time I booked, but progress was being made.

Time to make a plan and then stick with it as much as possible. By the sound of it you're over half-way through the course, it would be a shame to stop now.

Laundryman
28th Jun 2006, 12:20
I sent them an E-mail in the same vein this morning, just received this reply:-

Thank you for contacting Discovery Wings.

We appreciate the time you took to write to us with your comments. We are always working to improve our service, and will take your comments and ideas under consideration.

Kind Regards

Discovery Networks Europe Viewer Relations Team
E002860

MichaelJP59
28th Jun 2006, 13:46
I've had Discovery Wings for a few years now, and they really do have very few new programmes. I think I've watched everything they have by now.

The best thing they did was a few months ago with "Archive Weekend" where they just showed back-to-back old aviation documentaries and shorts from the 40's 50's and 60's.

It's a very low-cost channel, probably a staff of 2 or 3, created basically to pad out the number of channels Discovery can claim to put out.

raviolis
28th Jun 2006, 15:22
Farrel
it's probably some Iron Maiden track ? That would make sense.

Bruce is a hero. The man knows his stuff.... from the most successful heavy metal band of all times, to the right hand seat of a 757 (he might have become Captain in the meantime, I don't know)
..That's my ideal of an interesting and rewarding career !

That aside, Discovery Wings is crap. I've seen John Travolta talking about his Lear Jet more times than 1966 World Cup has been mentioned in the last 2 weeks....:ugh:

Pudnucker
30th Jun 2006, 17:45
I agree.... They could make it a fantastic channel. The two snotty presenters who's mini series they've shown forty million times is likely to put off anyone who wants to go flying... Totally bored of continuous re-screenings.. Mnd you 99.9% of sky is the same...

The music in flying heavy metal is Iron Maiden.. Their latest live album has it on...

kevmusic
1st Jul 2006, 17:00
Thank GOODNESS!!! 'Bout time someone vented their feelings about this once-brave attempt to please a bunch of SIG anoraks like us! - wrong-way prop an' all!!! :D

I used to like Flightline - good ol' Celia & Brendan doing their stuff.......

SparkyBoy
2nd Jul 2006, 08:27
Glad I'm not the only one that's very dissapointed in the channel. If enough people send them in complaints perhaps they will realise there is a large audience and decide to invest some money in better programmes...

Here is the link for feedback

http://discoverywings.co.uk/_contact/index.shtml

:ok:

IO540
2nd Jul 2006, 08:30
Discovery is a cheap channel which repeats its stuff over and over many times. I don't have Sky so rarely see it but whenever I have seen it it's been stuff I had seen before.

Very good if one has children though :) At that level, it has a lot more educational value than anything else on TV these days :yuk:

chevvron
2nd Jul 2006, 09:02
Don't watch the 'Challenger 604' unless you wish to hear my voice!@!

SparkyBoy
2nd Jul 2006, 09:17
Don't watch the 'Challenger 604' unless you wish to hear my voice!@!

Ooooh, famous :D

Discovery is a cheap channel which repeats its stuff over and over many times. I don't have Sky so rarely see it but whenever I have seen it it's been stuff I had seen before.

Very good if one has children though :) At that level, it has a lot more educational value than anything else on TV these days :yuk:

I've seen nothing that would educate a child of any age!

My suggestion on a show for educating children (in fact most adults as well) is how an a/c stays in the air. Thrust, drag, weight and lift lessons would get more young people interested in aviation and possibly help the immenant world shortage of pilots.

chevvron
2nd Jul 2006, 10:47
Yeah and I don't get royalties either, and it was recorded without my knowledge!

MyData
2nd Jul 2006, 10:58
This might explain the trains on the wings channel.

Trains @ FL165 anyone?

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1226454,00.html

The temptation to free wheel on the way down must be hard to resist :eek:

SparkyBoy
2nd Jul 2006, 11:15
This might explain the trains on the wings channel.

Trains @ FL165 anyone?

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1226454,00.html

The temptation to free wheel on the way down must be hard to resist :eek:

lol

A Train racing a light a/c would be worth watching. Also, I wonder if the train driven needs to be in contact with his local ATC. :uhoh: