PDA

View Full Version : Security Checks on Arrival?

SkyFish
28th Jun 2006, 07:08
Anyone know why in Singapore they have taken to checking all arriving passengers through the bag scan and your self through the metal detector as soon as you disembark?
Not very happy after a long flight arriving at midnight
For once I didnt steal a teaspoon in biz either....

radeng
28th Jun 2006, 07:13
Seem to remember them doing this at Raleigh-Durham ten or more years ago - at least, the luggage. But you must admit, it's a good 'job for the boys' ploy.

Bangkokeasy
28th Jun 2006, 08:48
Yes, I seem to recall mentioning this in a previous post.

They only check flights from certain origins, mostly Jakarta and Bangkok, and only certain flights, in my experience. The practice does seem really stupid though, considering that the terminal airside in Singapore is not a sterile area and of course, pax have already been screened at their point of boarding.

To see this sort of thing happening in an otherwise professionally run place like Chiangi airport really does cause one to question what they think they are playing at. I certainly had a couple of choice words for the screeners the last time I went through that. I know they are "only doing their job", but I am sorry, this is simply a waste of everyone's time.

ShyTorque
28th Jun 2006, 10:08
They are chewing gum scanners. :E

Serenity
28th Jun 2006, 10:13
After the flight? The words horse, door and bolted spring to mind.

Tarq57
28th Jun 2006, 10:40
Just got back from there...went Auckland-Singapore 2mth ago, then Bankok-Singapore a week ago, wasn't screened on arrival either time.

wub
28th Jun 2006, 12:54
I was in Singapore last month and wasn't screened on arrival either.

apaddyinuk
28th Jun 2006, 13:23
Havent been screened coming from either LHR, MEL or SYD into SIN. It must just be from certain security "sensitive" countries.

SXB
28th Jun 2006, 14:42
This is something that's been happening in Former Soviet Union countries for years.....

Dushan
29th Jun 2006, 02:26
About 10 years ago, VIE - LHR, continuing to YYZ we were screened as we got off the plane at LHR. I had a crystal wine decanter in my carry on and you can just imagine what they saw on the X-ray. Once they asked me to show it to them they all laughed. The good o'l days. And in my shaving kit I had a 3" Swiss Army knife. The woman asked me in the strenest of tones "Sir. do you have knife in your bag" and almost couldn't beleive that I said "Yes, I do". Then when she saw it she laughed. Like I said the Good o'l days...

dghob
29th Jun 2006, 05:54
On arrival in Brisbane from Singapore this week all bags including carry on stuff were scanned. Reason given was checking for foodstuffs, etc. There was no personal metal detector. Total time to get through customs, retreive bags and get scanned was nearly an hour, but it was peak hour so to speak.

graphitestick
30th Jun 2006, 09:55
Can 'Dushan' tell us what he thinks a lead crystal decanter looks like on an xray. Don't think the obvious as lead crystal is black on xray and has to be examined physically as on screen it can obscure an item...e.g. a knife or gun inside a lead crystal vase.

GANNET FAN
30th Jun 2006, 13:49
You get scanned at Male to see if you are bringing in alcohol. Confiscated if you are caught.