PDA

View Full Version : Jail Break!

Alijet
27th Jun 2006, 17:14
Hey All,
I'm presently an Officer Cadet training at Sandhurst. We are trying to raise money for the Army Benevolent Fund and have therefore been set a Charity Challenge. The challenge comes in two parts, firstly to raise as much money as possible through donations or sponsorship and secondly, as the name suggest, to get as far away from Sandhurst as possible and back again within 72 hours (WITHOUT spending any money), while carrying out a number of tasks along the way.
Does anyone have any usefull ideas or might you/someone you know be able to help us with transport??
As i said this is a charity event so all ideas and help are welcome!!!!

Thanks

Now a 'J' Bloke!!
27th Jun 2006, 17:15
Hey All,
to get as far away from Sandhurst as possible and back again within 72 hours

Why go back???:ugh:

More LAter;
'J' Bloke!!:cool:

Alijet
27th Jun 2006, 18:30
I've tried the airlines but i got the same response from all which was basically 'what do we get out of it!?'!! Being quite a low key event i don't have too much to offer.

ZH875
27th Jun 2006, 19:34
I am sure Malcolm Kendall-Smith could offer you advice on a quick get out of jail technique...:)

And Gary Glitter could offer advice on how to get back in:eek:

Zoom
27th Jun 2006, 19:53
We were talking about the RAF's Round Robins a few threads ago, whereby a couple of communications aircraft would fly around the nation on a regular route between RAF stations dropping off small spares, documents and passengers. If that still exists (didn't get an answer last time) you could give it a try. Or maybe hitch a ride on a Herk to Basra or further as supernumerary aircrew, if that is permitted. Maybe some light blue type might be able to provide more info on these. Your ID card might be required. And look intelligent - like a Cranwell cadet. Do you have to take the labrador with you?

fantaman
27th Jun 2006, 20:10
I think Virgin Airlines run the trooper to Washington now, give them a try! Thats 3649 miles in one jet trip.

BA also run the trooper flight to Gib, give them a call.

Both flights have seats pre-allocated to the MoD but they are released back to the airline 24 hours (I think) prior to departure for sale to the general public.

Good Luck :ok:

6foottanker
27th Jun 2006, 20:10
Are you William Wales in disguise??? Surely you just have to go back to Valley and talk to your mates there....:=

November4
27th Jun 2006, 20:47
Both flights have seats pre-allocated to the MoD but they are released back to the airline 24 hours (I think) prior to departure for sale to the general public

Not anymore.

Seats are bought in as and when they are needed at a contract rate. That's there are not any seats offered up for indulgence passengers on those routes now. This changed in about 1998.

LynehamMuppet
27th Jun 2006, 22:41
What about the BZZ-ASI-MPN shed? Maybe if you give the guys on Day Pax at Brize a call they might be able to help you out? Last time i checked the Falklands was pretty far away :) .

LM

hotshots!
27th Jun 2006, 23:04
Would you make from Brize Norton to the Falklands and back in 72 hours?

If not, how about the trooper to Cyprus? - Indulgence only costs about £50?

vecvechookattack
27th Jun 2006, 23:05
Would you make from Brize Norton to the Falklands and back in 72 hours?
If not, how about the trooper to Cyprus? - Indulgence only costs about £50?

Not a chace matey - It would take JPA 73 Hours to sort the claim out

LynehamMuppet
28th Jun 2006, 00:29
If i remember correctly it flies out at 11pm-ish on Tuesday, 8.5 hours to ASI, 1.5 hours on the ground, 8 hours to MPN, Night stop there. Should be back in ASI for 10pm-ish Wed then back at Brize Thursday morning.

It's been 12 Months since i worked in Asi so it might have changed.

LM

Corrona
28th Jun 2006, 06:43
I know this route well, and it most certainly will take you a hell of a long way from Sandhurst, and back within the alloted 72 hrs (serviceability permitting!!!). Clearly indulgence won't fit in with the 'for free' criterior, though there are almost always (95%+ish chance) indulgence seats are available. Tha aricraft flies the route three time per fortnight. leaves Brize Sunday, Thursday, Tuesday in a continuous rotation. So the answer is you need to dream up a 'buisness reason' why you need a duty seat for a 'Red-Eye' rotation (you have red eyes by the time you've done this trip)...best of luck.

Gainesy
28th Jun 2006, 09:04
Try calling the US Defence Attache for a quick visit to West Point?

Zoom
28th Jun 2006, 11:10
That's not a bad idea. You could 'justify' it by telling him that you would like to give a presentation to the assembled cadets on your training at Sandhurst - if you could get the presentation cleared through the various channels in less than a decade or so! I bet the academies in India, South Africa or any other ex-colony would be keen. At least you would get free flights, board, etc.

Alijet
28th Jun 2006, 15:55
By any chance, does anyone happen to be on the VC10 fleet at Brize? I've spoken to the Flt Lt in Ops who said i have to call him tomorrow to plead my case, and he might help me. If anyone knows someone on the fleet, it could be a real help!
Thank you for all your help so far. It has been appreciated!!

Rev I. Tin
28th Jun 2006, 16:16
Alijet,

I hope for your sake that you genuflect/grovel in front of WO ATMC before the ITOC Adj collars him for a gate guard nomination or a sunday SDO!.:ouch:
Could possibly put him in a bad mood.

Oh, and he drinks Coffee, white, two.

And ATMC/ASCOT love doughnuts.
:}

Fg Off Max Stout
28th Jun 2006, 16:26
Seal yourself in a triwall box and ask the RAF R&D and Movers to deliver said box from Sandhurst to Aldershot. Hey presto, 36 months later you will emerge from the partially destroyed box in Kyrgyzstan or some such similar 5 star destination. Job done.:ok:

FCWhippingBoy
28th Jun 2006, 16:56
there are almost always (95%+ish chance) indulgence seats are available.
I think considering the contract for the BZZ-ASI-MPN route is now with Air Atlanta / Excel Airways who are currently utilising a 747 for the task, this statement is pretty accurate!

170ish pax on a 747 + boarding computer @ BZZ u/s = first class all the way - not bad for someone who's rank normally stipulates "Cattle Class" :} Shame it wasn't to sunnier climes :bored:

peterperfect
28th Jun 2006, 20:56
Hitchhike to nearest simulator and fly east at VNE for about 36 hours and back. Get the instructors to tweak up the wind to say 270 degs at 120 knots with forecast of a wind reversal at furthest point east. Bring crayons to keep you busy fashioning suitable postcard depicting furthest (theoretical) point reached. On return tell the Commandant you were working in the electronic battlespace.

I'm putting a fiver in the next ABF collection box I see on your behalf, even if you dont pick up on my daft idea. Well done in advance for the effort, let us know how it went.

Green Flash
29th Jun 2006, 12:37
Can you blag a ride to Rio in time to get the Brazilian Air Force 707 coming to RIAT?

Just noticed the 707 (KC137) has canxd - it's a Herc now! Oh well, it's good to suffer!

teeteringhead
29th Jun 2006, 14:37
Got involved with something similar in NI a few years ago. One of the teams (teams of two IIRC) came back with a fantastic set of photographs of exotic locations....

.... turned out they'd got as far as the Granada Studio at Manc who let them loose on some sets ...

... amd that was before PhotoShop was invented ......

It's Not Working
29th Jun 2006, 15:28
You appear to be going for horizontal displacement, be different and go for vertical displacement. I think there are still a few coal mines scattered around Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire. Failing that try somewhere high up in London. The Post Office Tower has been closed to the public since the 70s so a trip to the top of that would be a 'tick VG' and I understand that Nelson's Column is currently covered in scaffolding, if Blue Peter can do it it must be possible. Then there's the sub escape school at HMS Dolphin if you fancy being under 200ft of water or a simulated dive to 40 mtrs in the hyperbaric chamber at Fort Bovi

FCWhippingBoy
14th Oct 2006, 22:05
Just out of interest, does anyone know how far they got?

buoy15
15th Oct 2006, 01:34
Go to prison - claim asylum and ask to be deported to New Zealand - you may even get £2500 for spends! - that guarantees your return air fare if they consider you were only induldging - however, with this government, it could take 72 years rather than hours to complete the paperwork!
Best of luck B15

Blacksheep
15th Oct 2006, 02:21
A small clue.
Here in Borneo we have a British battalion keeping a watchful eye on the oilfields, plus a troop of Boy Scouts (Shh! you know who I mean) practising their jungle skills. We often handle RAF C130 and Tristar aircraft on resupply flights. There is even a dedicated Air Movement section.You could just about make it to Borneo and back in 72 hours.

Ah! 72 hours! On second thoughts, better forget obout the movers then...