PDA

View Full Version : BIG BANG AT M. WALLOP!

oldbeefer
26th Jun 2006, 14:57
Some of you may know that there used to be a firework factory close to Wallop - well, there isn't now! Big bang - no news on casualties.

Op Tastic
26th Jun 2006, 15:20
You must take the opportunity to take the rest of the week off!

mutleyfour
26th Jun 2006, 15:25
Could have a severe impact on delivery of flares in the near future.

microlight AV8R
26th Jun 2006, 15:25
Breaking news on the BEEB: Explosion at AAC base, apparently an oven exploded, one killed. No mention of the fireworks factory across the road.

Elizabeth reigns, but confusion would still appear to rule.

BossEyed
26th Jun 2006, 15:43
Not at Middle Wallop airfield.

Despite what the "Breaking News" headline on the BBC mainpage says ("...at Army training base..."), the story itself says this:

One killed in factory explosion
One person has been killed in an explosion at a defence contractor close to the Army Air Corps training base at Middle Wallop in Hampshire.
The incident happened at Wallop Defence Systems Ltd near Andover on Monday afternoon, according to police.

Nearly 30 firefighters from Andover, Stockbridge and Winchester and Ministry of Defence fire crews are at the scene.

It is believed that an oven exploded at the facility where explosive flares are produced.

OverTq
26th Jun 2006, 15:45
Well, it is a forum for rumours!

microlight AV8R
26th Jun 2006, 15:58
I stand by my previous post. Confusion clearly does rule, at the Beeb :rolleyes:

ATCO17
26th Jun 2006, 19:13
I think Oldbeefer may have been referring to the Paines Wessex firework factory just off the 23 climbout lane at Boscombe. At the end of the working day, they would burn off any excess whizz bangs in a huge explosion that would light up the sky for miles around. Strangely enough, it didn't go down too well with the chaps conducting NVG ops on and around the airfield!:ooh:

pulse1
26th Jun 2006, 20:16
Not to be confused with Pains Wessex just down the road at High Post who make all kinds of flares and chaff. Both companies have virtually the same name, both make pyrotechniques, and yet have no connection. Very confusing.

ATCO17
26th Jun 2006, 20:47
That's the one. Couldn't remember the place, High Post. Of course it's completely the other way from MW. Think there was a fatal explosion there some years ago.

The Nr Fairy
26th Jun 2006, 21:22
Think there was a fatal explosion there some years ago.

I think so, but it would have been mid/late 80s. When I was a trainee copper in Wiltshire (and I've got both the lobotomy and reverse lobotomy scars to show entry AND exit :} ) one of the less delightful aspects of the training was the flickbooks of photos from crime scenes / road accidents / firework factory explosions, and I seem to recall the above accident was one of them. Not a pretty sight.

Of (if memory serves correctly) the two women caught up in the blast, the "lucky" one died almost instantly. The other survived for a few weeks after.

ATCO17
26th Jun 2006, 21:50
You're right. Think one of the poor women was married to one of the Techies I knew at BD.:sad:

Mad Girl
27th Jun 2006, 07:22
The last major incident was in 1988.

The company used to be very tough on safety so I hate to think what went wrong this time.

I worked at the Andover office for 7 years but was never allowed on the Wallop site without a site trained person with me all the time and I had a safety briefing every time.

My condolences to the family who have lost a loved one.

Basil
27th Jun 2006, 09:52
<<it didn't go down too well with the chaps conducting NVG ops >>
Add a spot of technical realism though.

Gnd
27th Jun 2006, 20:14
Talking to the school caretaker, it was a firework factory a million years ago and the name just stuck with the Mod boys. There was one other accident he can remember but that was a very long time ago, a very safe place in recent years.