PDA

View Full Version : Prescription military sunglasses

Hairyplane
26th Jun 2006, 13:05
Hello all - my first post on this forum although I post regularly on Rotorheads, Historic and Private.

I am a display pilot and wear Americal Optical sunglasses exclusively - they are the best.

I could really do with reading lenses for charts/ instruments - my long range vision is 100%.

Anybody out there know of a supplier for AO sunglasses with discreet, small reading lenses either ground in or added?

Thanks a lot.

Hairyplane

stillin1
26th Jun 2006, 16:48
Specsavers made mine - they work.
Just ask for the mil specs I guess (no pun intended). The

"discreet, small reading lenses either ground in or added"

will have to discreeeeetly asked for unless you are happy accepting normal bifocals that will show that you too are a blind git:ok:

teeteringhead
27th Jun 2006, 08:35
I did a similar thing with Vision Express - effectively they are bi-focals with the "distance" part of the lens being plain glass. Obviously could be tinted if required.

endplay
27th Jun 2006, 09:23
I think you'll find that they are called variafocals, or some such, and the reading bit is blended in so that there is no visible (or is that risible?) line.

Basil
27th Jun 2006, 09:41
Ordered varifocals from local optician with a graduated tint - worked well for flying (Jungmann to 747) and driving - further here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=2641444&highlight=sunglasses#post2641444)

Kolibear
27th Jun 2006, 11:48
Try taking your AO frames into your local opticians and asking them if they can make lenses to fit.

I suspect that opticians stock a wide range of prescription lens blanks and just machine the profiles to match the frames.