PDA

View Full Version : Where are you doing your training, UK, Europe, USA?

Cirrus_Clouds
25th Jun 2006, 22:13
Hey all,

I am really confused with what's the best option concerning flight training and chances of a job (as like most).

I have been told that doing my training in the UK is the best bet as it enables one to gain valuable RT, airspace etc experience (or is this a sales tack tick?)

The draw back is the costs in the UK/Europe are higher than that of the USA. One can save a few pounds on training abroad, but is it money well spent, would one be in a worse off situation?

Should I stick to training in the UK and only gain bulk hours abroad, or does it actually not really matter which country you do it in, as long as it's with a good recognised Flight College?

Help!... :ok:

Cheers.

SparkyBoy
26th Jun 2006, 16:31
The only problem with the UK is the weather, it'll be more difficult to guarantee a good VFR day here.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Sparky

Cirrus_Clouds
26th Jun 2006, 18:24
Yeah.........

... I found that out during my PPL. Having a job that relied upon the weather didn't help either.

I heard from a certain individual that it's taking weeks to just get the odd few hours in while doing his CPL, so not exactly pleasant info.

I think that getting your flight training done with a company that provides international flying might be the answer, unless one can get the whole flying aspect done in any "window" of weather here in the UK.

bolty_1000
26th Jun 2006, 19:00
I did my PPL and Hours in the USA - Used EFT for the PPL (took 5 weeks) and can recommend them as a good FTO and used Sunrise Aviation (Ormond Beach, Florida), for the hours - (Took 3 weeks to do 75 hours @ £35ish and hour!!!)
Currently doing the MultiCPL/IR in the UK and am having no real problems adapting. Only needed a brush up with the RT and adapting to the airspace but that all came as part and parcel of the CPL training. (CPL has taken 4 weeks but have been fortunate enough to fly every day)
If you want to do the american route then Id definatly recommend that you try and do around 10 hours of your hour building in the UK before the CPL - this will help in the RT proceedures as well as local familiarisation - good for the Nav side of things. (That is if you decide to do the CPL/IR in the UK like me - I just feel that it is practised to a better standard over here).

Cirrus_Clouds
26th Jun 2006, 19:51
Cheers for the info. I already have a PPL (obtained in UK - took me long enough to obtain! hehe) so the question above is only really aimed at ATPL.

Edward_tci
27th Jun 2006, 23:11
I'm considering either OAT or a US based JAA school for my ATPL. How likely are you to get a job after training at a US school as apposed to a UK based school? if anyone knows?

I'd much prefer to spend £30,000 on my course than £65,000, but if i'm not gonna get a job at the end of it then whats the point in doing the training at all.

Is which flight school you train at a big factor when seeking employment? or is it more down to your test scores and personality? and do airlines look down on you if you train in the US? Has anyone trained in the US and found it difficult to find employment?

If anyone can help me out with this i'd be really grateful and if anyone can recommend a good flight school in the US let me know.

Thanks a lot

Ed