PDA

View Full Version : Protocol at Funerals

Lowkey
25th Jun 2006, 19:25
Off to my Grandfathers funeral this week. I have been requested to wear uniform as he is ex-RAF. I know that one wears a black armband on the LHS but should medals be worn?

Cheers

Sloppy Link
25th Jun 2006, 19:49
Most certainly dear boy.

MrBernoulli
25th Jun 2006, 19:50
Crikey, even though I went to a couple of RAF funerals (kinda goes with mil aircrew territory, unfortunately) I can't remember exactly. My instinct says yes, because it is a parade type thing (military funerals, anyway).

Common sense (with years of military service) says that it could never be disrespectful to honour a former serviceman whilst wearing your medals at his funeral.

endplay
26th Jun 2006, 10:05
Details are in AP1358 Ch 10. Basically its day ceremonial (No 1 with SD cap) and medals may be worn if requested/agreed by NOK.
Condolences to you and your family

Lost & Filed
26th Jun 2006, 20:52
Condolences to you and your family. When I went to my grandparents funerals I wore my medals to both, so in answer 2 ur question, yes u can.

L J R
26th Jun 2006, 21:19
Would the SWO really kick you out of your gran's funeral for uniform indiscretion?.

Pontius Navigator
26th Jun 2006, 21:33
and carry your gloves.

Lost & Filed
26th Jun 2006, 22:01
I know SWO's can be real mean B*****d's but no they wouldn't even have the gall to do that - but they are one of the people that you do need to ask permission of to wear No 1s for a funeral or wedding.

FJJP
30th Jun 2006, 06:01
You don't need to ask permission, but I believe you should info the mil police that uniform will be worn at a function open to the public.

No 1 uniform with SD hat and medals iscorrect dress.