PDA

View Full Version : Ringing in left ear

Kristopher83
25th Jun 2006, 16:26
Ringing in left ear

I don’t go to clubs or gigs very often maybe 2 a year. On Tuesday I went to a gig and it finished at 12 at night and as norm I had slight ringing in both ears the ringing in the right ear has gone but I still have it in my left. I can still hear perfectly out that ear and as good as my right, what I would like to know is do you think this will disappear if not should the loudness of it die down?

I do have a little eh…rawness in that ear and was thinking of going to my local doctor in case there is an infection. But my main question is do you think it will disappear?

Oh that's super!
26th Jun 2006, 12:40
I think you should go and see your doctor. It's not much use asking whether we think it would disappear or not. It depends!

Old Smokey
26th Jun 2006, 17:28
I agree with Oh that's super!, go and see your doctor. At age 23 it's not very likely that you've developed tinitus, which results from high levels of noise exposure over long periods (R.R Dart pilots please note).

My regular Aviation Medical examiner suffers from tinitus, and his suggestion, as well as those from a few pilot sufferers, is to always stay in a slightly noisy environment. This distracts from the ever-present ringing in the ears (even during sleep). The 3 sufferers that I've spoken to report "going bonkers" if exposed to total silence for long periods of time.

Note that I did say slightly noisy.

Good luck!

Regards,

Old Smokey

Kristopher83
26th Jun 2006, 18:20
I woke up this morning to find that it had halved in volume which was fine with me but then 20mins later it was back to the way it was. But I also couldn’t eat my breakfast as I was feeing sick and two nights ago I had a bad temperature.

I looked up symptoms of a middle ear infection on the net and sick, temperature and noise in the ear was on the list so that’s me made an appointment with the doctor for Thursday

I also noticed that i have a similar but lower in volume noise in my other ear (dont mind that one as the other ear is slightly louder) and when I yawn I get crackling in both ears so it might be I am heavily congested or something but I will tell this to the doctor when I see him.
Thanks for the advice

Stop Stop Stop
30th Jun 2006, 17:19
Kristopher83 can I suggest that you have a look at the thread on Labarynthitis

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229150 (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229150)

as the symptoms that you described are exactly what I had.

It may well be that you have Otitis Media with Effusion (middle ear infection) and the crackling that you hear is the fluid behind the eardrum.

Get this checked with your GP and if available, get referred to an ENT surgeon who will be able to check whether you really do have fluid in the middle ear by using a pressure testing device.

Luckily, my ear has totally healed but there is a nasty virus doing the rounds. I would also suggest not flying until you are given the all clear as you might well cause yourself vertigo if you do so.

Kristopher83
30th Jun 2006, 21:42
Hi

Well went to the doctors yesterday and she said that my ear is inflamed so she gave me amoxicillin. It got really bad the day before as my left lower jaw area started to go like the way when the dentist numbs that area and the numbness is wearing of so I think the infection might have spread but on the drugs now so hopefully it will clear.

The crackling I was told was due to my tubes being a little congested and if I want I should get something to clear them.

Hopefully the ringing will die down in that ear as I am going off to Italy on the 18th July

Thanks all for the replys

Wunala
3rd Jul 2006, 09:14
Do ears need to be treated or do they cure themselves over time from middle ear infections? Thanks

Kristopher83
4th Jul 2006, 18:40
They do fix themselves but its always better to get them treated.

Well my ear is still a little weird at the mo and am still feeling a little sick so am thinking it’s the same infection not cleared up so I am going back to the doctors tomorrow.

The tinnitus is still the same level in that ear and am not sure if I have it in the other or it just sounds that way if I do then its not that loud and can easily cope with it but the left ear is loud not distracting loud though noticeable when trying to sleep which is norm but I try and ignore it

Kristopher83
5th Jul 2006, 20:38
Was at the doctors today again and this time I didn’t get locum (think that’s how you spell that) and he checked both ears and said that my left ear the one that I have the tinnitus and the infection in, the ear drum is pushed in a bit which told him that the pressure in my middle ear is different to the outer part this is caused by a blocked Eustachian tube so he gave me a nose spray and told me to also use steam to try an unblock it and that also will cause me to feel sleepy and slightly sick.

So I did a search and I found that a blocked Eustachian tube does cause tinnitus in adults (I am 23) so hopefully the ringing will die down when the tightness goes away.

Hope this helps anyone.

rse
10th Jul 2006, 03:41
Kristof,

I play the drums and go to a lot of gigs/play gigs and have used earplugs for a long time. Really helps! Eyes you can correct for, but ears not. You only get two so look after them mate, you won't regret it.

Kristopher83
12th Jul 2006, 18:50
I thought I would post an update.

Its been about a week since I saw the doctor and my ear is feeling a little better the pressure is gone a little and its starting to feel like a normal ear. The high pitch tone is still there though am not sure if its as bad or either I am getting used to it.

The doctor did say that it could take a while for it to go so I am hoping it does.

Hawk
13th Jul 2006, 01:13
Hello Kris, try here as well
http://www.pprune.org/forums/search.php?searchid=391675

Kristopher83
13th Jul 2006, 08:14
Hey Hawk when i click that i get "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms"

Hawk
13th Jul 2006, 19:27
Okies..sorry. I'll have another go. Otherwise try typing the term in search engine for Medical Forum.

mafia_click
30th Aug 2006, 07:21
Hi sorry to start this thread back up again but i have the same problem as the initial post. Went out to a club about ten days ago and came back with a ringing left ear. Exactly as described i went to the doctor and he gave me amoxicillin and nasal drops, its been a week and no real change, still ringing and still feel very blocked up in both ears, nose isn't blocked except in the morning. Initially the doctor i saw said the congestion is aggrivating the tinnitus and not letting it go away, but the doctor i saw yesterday ( got another appointment ) said that the infection i had has gone and the tinnitus is a cause of the sound from the club rather than the congestion. Its a pretty ssimilar case to the one on the initial post, anyone know how that person got on (kristopher83 i think his name is)? and anyone had similar and the ringing take a while to go away?

deville_guy
30th Aug 2006, 12:25
I think some people's ears are more sensitive to others. I'm 18 and believe I have Tinnitus. I have played guitar for years in various bands and ensembles, but I think this year rehearsing in a small room and playing about 5 gigs on small stages (ears real close to hte drum cymbals) we have so far, has hurt my ears. I have a permanent ringing that is more noticeable in my left ear. It annoys me most at night when i'm trying to sleep, but does not realy disturb me from getting to sleep at this point. Tomorrow morning i am getting moulded earplugs made to protect my ears while playing in order to prevent any furhter damage down the track. My other bandmates have no ringing in their ears, even after rehearsal and practice their ears are pretty much fine. I guess this isn't really relevant I just wanted to make people aware that it can be easy for you to do damage to your ears, and most the time it is ir-reverisble so take care!

Chris

Ops Dude
30th Aug 2006, 13:41
I've had the same thing going on for a couple of months now.

I'm convinced it is some sort of blockage in me tubes, best thing to do I've found is drink plenty of fluids and always have some low backround noise.

This should help

http://www.rnid.org.uk/information_resources/factsheets/tinnitus/factsheets_leaflets/

Oh, and try not to let it bother you too much, just makes it worse.:ok:

low n' slow
3rd Sep 2006, 12:41
What you need to do if you find a ringing in the ear after a night out or suspected ear damage is to let the ears rest from any noise. Put a pair of plugs in and relax. Don't listen to any music and avoid metal to metal noises. The best is if you can find a proper pair of earprotectors (cup style) and wear them all day long. Sleep more than usually and eat a lot of proteins. Don't clean out the earwax either as it helps dampen sharp noises.

/LnS

Loose rivets
3rd Sep 2006, 19:10
The best is if you can find a proper pair of earprotectors (cup style) and wear them all day long.
/LnS

No!!!!!!!!!! Well you can if you want, but you'll probably end up with an outer ear infection as well. Let the air get to them.

First and foremost, get rid of the inner-ear infection. Do not be persuaded to take Tetracycline (there is a rumor that it can cause Tinnitus, don't know if it's true but a lot of people seem to think it is). Gargle with salty water, and if there is any flow in the eustation tube, (very very carfully) try to ease some salt water up the tube. Sniff as well, this will help to evacuate the tube. If you feel any movement of the ear-drum while sniffing that's about as hard as you need to do it. In other words be careful of a potentially weakened eardrum.

As far as the Tinnitus is concerned, time will tell. A healthy ear is the first goal.

http://thenaturalhealthplace.com/QAForum.html?action=display&num=285