PDA

View Full Version : Display Crews Welcomed at Salthill

TURNBULL
25th Jun 2006, 11:43
Came across this interesting news article:

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/76380

JAG3
25th Jun 2006, 12:41
How dare they ban an aircrew that probably has not personally wanted to go to Iraq but forced there by our politicians. Do they not realise that more or less every raf aircrew has been including the Tornado at last years show, oh and let not forget about the US blackhawk there 2 years ago. All this is, is a public media stunt to get back at the british.:mad:

*Zwitter*
25th Jun 2006, 12:45
Not related to story (I'd blame the politicians while respecting the aircrew) but me and mrs Zwit are moving to Biggin Hill soon and will happily offer a spare room to any display pilots who need it for 2007 :)

I guess you all get put up in hotels though

Melchett01
25th Jun 2006, 13:43
Edited because I really can't be bothered to waste time attempting to reason with a bunch of idiots

cobaltfrog
25th Jun 2006, 15:19
If they don't want the Merlin and its crew, I know plenty of places who have been turned down who will! All they need to do is cancel with JHC.

Jobza Guddun
25th Jun 2006, 17:12
To be fair though, the people who read that newspaper would be anti-RAF even if the team had rescued a bunch of drowning Irish orphans in a hurricane on the way over. I'm sure the unquoted majority over there were appreciative and welcoming as most Irish people are.

fantaman
25th Jun 2006, 18:34
This made me laugh so much! I didn’t realise some people were so backwards! http://www.ukar.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.ukar.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif http://www.ukar.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

If that’s the case then the next time someone from Ireland finds themselves sinking in a boat at 3am, 300 miles of the Irish coast we wont bother sending a Sea King, Nimrod, Merlin or Lynx, because all of them have been involved or deployed to the Gulf Region at some point?

No, I didn’t think so. Get a life loosers http://www.ukar.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/loser.gif http://www.ukar.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/loser.gif http://www.ukar.co.uk/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/loser.gif

cazatou
25th Jun 2006, 18:45
Bin their Airshow, and let the Press explain why all the economic advantages that would have resulted from such a show have not materialised.

serf
25th Jun 2006, 18:48
read the posts on the link, there are plenty of people happy to see the RAF participate.

corsair
25th Jun 2006, 19:07
I have just come back from the Salthill Airshow. While not a vintage airshow. It was most enjoyable. As ever the Reds put on a brilliant display. The Merlin also put in an excellent and impressive display and was much applauded. We also a had a contribution from the RN, RAF Hawk and Tucano and even a couple of F15E's from Lakenheath put in an appearance. Our own Irish Air Corps did their bit too. The 100,000 or so Irish people who turned up as they do every year ignored that cranky minority who call for a boycott and enjoyed the show for what it was. The Red Arrows are a particular favourite. The truth is the RAF and RN contribution makes the airshow every year.

If you read the comments on the site you will also see that many contributors attacked the anti UK/US bias. I can also assure you, the Merlin crew were not boycotted and even now are probably tasting the Guinness in the Salthill Hotel as the annual airshow party kicks off. They will be joined by the Tucano pilots and the RN crew and the lads from the Red Arrows who I saw arrive at Galway airport just an hour ago having been ferried in by an Irish Air Corps aircraft from Shannon. All were in uniform and were greeted like celebrities.

No doubt a hilarious night will be had all, and probably a few hangovers will ensue. I would be there myself only I have to get up for work in the morning and 80 Euro fee is a bit steep.

So ignore the the Indymedia tripe, the people of Ireland did. The Mayor of Galway who boycotted the show is a Green, which explains a lot. As for the protest, well the only I saw was an elderly lady on a bicycle with a rainbow flag!!!!!!!!! A couple of years ago a group of protestors at the show shouted 'shame' each time the Reds passed by. The spectators around them responded by applauding and cheering as loudly as possible to drown them out. The Red Arrows did their bit to drown them out too.

Edit: BTW the newspaper, sorry rag called Daily Ireland is published from Belfast and is essentially a Sinn Fein mouthpiece. So you can see where it's coming from straight away.

Oh and Fantaman, we do have our own rescue helicopters.

buoy15
25th Jun 2006, 19:58
What's with the Iraq war vets? It's still on going and I bet there's few over 40!
I was on the Nimrod Display Crew which opened the Salthill show in 2003, flying out of Blackpool. so it's not new
I also used to go there at Easter time when staioned at Ballykelly over 5 years in the early 60's - absolutely marvellous
Some of the striking features of that remote part of Eire that the local knockers need to see are - prior to joining the EU, the landscape was dotted with sheep, illegal stills and the odd tractor - now it's dotted with 8 bedroom villas, BMW's, golf courses and container ports
Like they pay in £2k a year and take out £2bn
It's probably the only place in the world where a cow goes on holiday to a northern abbatoir at least 6 times a year in it's 30 month lifetime:hmm:

fantaman
25th Jun 2006, 20:48
Oh and Fantaman, we do have our own rescue helicopters.
I know that but the last rescue I was involved in off the Irish Coast used an Aldergrove Lynx, PIK based Sea King and Kinloss based Nimrod.

Can't remember the last time I seen an IAC CASA doing top cover for your S61's?

buoy15
25th Jun 2006, 21:08
Fantaman
They don't have SR61's, they have Dauphins - similar range but lots of limitations

SAR Bloke
25th Jun 2006, 21:15
I'm pretty sure the Irish Coastguard do have S61s

http://www.transport.gov.ie/Irish+Coast+Guard+IRCG/Search+and+Rescue/Helicopters/Coast+Guard+Helicopters/

Rev I. Tin
25th Jun 2006, 21:22
Fantaman,

Since 72 Sqn Wessex departed ALD, IIRC SAR for the province has been provided by PIK and our colleagues south of the border depending on who is closest.
One poor individual who broke a leg in the Mournes was most reticent in being rescued by a Dauphin. Blokey was a Pongo SNCO from Ballykelly.

Bless

fantaman
25th Jun 2006, 21:23
Fantaman
They don't have SR61's, they have Dauphins - similar range but lots of limitations
The IAC no longer have any Dauphins, they were retired and placed into storage at Casement waiting to be sold.

The S-61's are operated by CHC Helicopters on behalf of the Irish Coast Guard.

SAR Bloke
25th Jun 2006, 21:37
I have flown rescues in the Mournes from the UK mainland, post the Wessex departure.

I do have to add that the times I have stopped in Ireland I have been hosted exceptionally well, especially at Sligo.

buoy15
25th Jun 2006, 21:56
Stand corrected - thank you
B15

cokecan
25th Jun 2006, 22:06
slight vering from the OP, but can anyone give me a steer as to where i might find stats on the number and type of RAF/RN rescue operations that take place in Irish Airspace or in areas where the RoI has legal/moral(?) responsibility?

i've tried googling it and get nowhere, slowly...

cheers, CC

SAR Bloke
25th Jun 2006, 22:18
http://www.transport.gov.ie/Irish+Coast+Guard+IRCG/Search+and+Rescue/

This will give you an idea of the Irish coastguard AOR. I would guess there are hardly any UK mil rescues overland in the Irish Republic. Most are in Northern Ireland or, more commonly, Spanish fishermen out to the west where CHC's S61s can't reach.

This link will give you the UK stats for last year.

http://www.dasa.mod.uk/publications/sar/pdfs/sarannual2005.pdf#search='arcc%20kinloss'

buoy15
25th Jun 2006, 22:44
Coke
Try asking the Spanish and Portuguese Embassies how many "fishermen" with sudden appendicitus or toothache have been airlifted to Cork General hospital over the last 20 years having paid a trawler capt £200 to get them into the UK economic fishing zone to qualify for free NHS
Having done many 'Top Covers', I still have the phone no of the Spanish agent in Falmouth who re-habilitates these spongers when they leave hospital, at a cost to the taxpayer of at least £200,000 a shot
Spanish Fishing Agent - Falmouth 212977
I believe the Irish authorities have now introduced an indemnity - no insurance no lift - or have the EU PC human rights brigade blocked this? Need to know!

fantaman
25th Jun 2006, 22:50
Coke
Try asking the Spanish and Portuguese Embassies how many "fishermen" with sudden appendicitus or toothache have been airlifted to Cork General hospital over the last 20 years
Hear Hear Buoy15

corsair
25th Jun 2006, 23:43
I know that but the last rescue I was involved in off the Irish Coast used an Aldergrove Lynx, PIK based Sea King and Kinloss based Nimrod.

Can't remember the last time I seen an IAC CASA doing top cover for your S61's?

That has happened several times as I recall. You wouldn't neccessarily been aware of it. I should also point out the S61's do cross the border frequently for rescue work. Since they came on stream. There has been less need for help from the RAF/RN. But it is still needed. One of the reasons for the introduction of the S61's was due to a most embarrassing moment when an RAF helicopter was used in a rescue right off the beach in Dublin bay because the Irish Air Corps rescue helicopters were all based on the west coast. Since then the government took all rescue responsibility away from the Air Corps not least because of an unseemly row between the pilots and NCO aircrew over money.

Another thing Buoy 15, the 'local knockers' are for the most part the usual suspects who have counterparts in the UK. The usual, left wing, anti capitalist, anti American, hairy hippies. Galway attracts a lot of them.

I remember the your Nimrod in 2003, my friend and I actually commented today on how much we enjoyed seeing it and wondering if another would put in an appearance in the future.

As for your dig about EU funding. (sigh) I constantly have this argument with British friends. EU funding has helped but Ireland's current prosperity is as much to with good economics, low income taxes, hard work and long hours. It's a text book example of how EU money can kick start an economy. Other countries would do well to copy. Most of Britain's money actually goes to help prop up French farmers and the like with little result.

Look, things have changed for the better here. I for one never thought I would see the day when uniformed British military personnel would casually stroll around on a crowded street. One thing definitely changed. You see a lot of England flags around lately. I passed a house in Galway completely covered in England flags and banners. Try doing that in Scotland:eek:

nosefirsteverytime
1st Jul 2006, 18:42
Well I can testify that the Merlin crews did enjoy their gunnesses, anfd the show was excellent!

buoy15
2nd Jul 2006, 18:36
Corsair
Good reply, thank you
I'm heading to Ballybunion to play golf for 2 weeks in August - really looking forward to some of that illegal still hospitality - plus a full fry-up with soda bread every morning
Regards B15

Talk Reaction
3rd Jul 2006, 21:56
I know this thread is old but had to reply, sorry for interuoting SAR boy appendage shaking - you're all great ok!! ;)

I spent most of the day on Sunday walking around Salthill in uniform chatting to the punters who were all out for a great day and I had one too. Not a single off word spoken, lots of friendly chats and even the old bike lady with the rainbow flag smiled!

Thanks to all the organisers and peole of Salthill for a great reception and fantastic hosting, I for one will go back if the opportunity presents :D

JAG3
3rd Jul 2006, 22:12
Buoy-you can't beat a good Ulster fry:ok: