PDA

View Full Version : LHR Security have competition

radeng
24th Jun 2006, 13:00
I thought LHR T4 security had a monopoly on the incompetence leading to massive queues, but I found out Thursday that CPH T2 is competing. Over 95 minutes to get through - only 2 gates open. Announcements that it was 'due to the number of passengers'. They also introduced 'new security procedures', although the actual event didn't seem any different to previous passages through CPH T2 security - which has always been pretty slow.
One is reminded very much of Sir W.S Gilbert, who said 'Although Saturday comes round with amazing regularity, it still seems to catch the Metropolitan railway by surprise'. The same appears to apply to airport managers and the security chiefs. It can't require great intelligence to figure that the summer will bring large numbers of passengers, and a bit of addition of number of flights times seats on a plane will give the order of magnitude of the number of people that have to get through security!
A public flogging for the airport and the security management would be a good idea, as a punishment for their stupidity and incompetence. Probably in China, they'd get a bullet in the back of the neck, their organs would be sold for transplant and their families would get a bill for the bullet. A bit severe, but it might make the other useless b******s wake up and do their job properly!

SXB
28th Jun 2006, 15:43
A public flogging for the airport and the security management would be a good idea, as a punishment for their stupidity and incompetence. Probably in China, they'd get a bullet in the back of the neck, their organs would be sold for transplant and their families would get a bill for the bullet
Both scenarios could be described as being somewhat harsh. That said I hate using some UK airports because of the time spent going through security. My regular airport in Frankfurt (the real one rather than the one 100kms away which Ryanair ridiculously refer to as Frankfurt) and this is a massive airport and I cannot ever remember queueing for more than 15 minutes to go through security and I'm there at least twice per month. The same can be said for most of Europe's other major hubs.

Maybe there is something I'm missing about the likes of Heathrow which make it different ? If not the finger of blame seems to be pointing firmly towards the competency of the airport management.

perkin
22nd Jul 2006, 23:09
[quote=SXB] The same can be said for most of Europe's other major hubs.[quote]

AMS security at gate, 'open' departure lounge areas - I haven't ever queued there for more than about 10 mins, even on a full (737/A320) Friday evening Heathrow flight. Much better system, deal with a single planeload at a time rather than stuffing everyone through a single point at the same time...saying that though, our lovely modern (?!) airports in the UK wouldnt have enough space for 'sterile' areas at the gate, let alone the collective intelligence and will amongst management to keep the paying customer happy...! :ugh: AMS system for Loco's at the H gate area is particularly well thought out too, I've seen 10-15 min turnarounds there...

Heathrow is an absolute disgrace considering its the first thing huge numbers of people see of our country, about time some national pride came into operation...

In their defence, the security staff at MAN are really quite pleasant and affable and are nowhere near as rough as those at AMS when doing 'random checks'...can't recall those at LHR...just remember the queues...:hmm:

Ok, rant over :)