PDA

View Full Version : Sealand on fire - well done 22 Sqn Wattisham !

BIG MISTER
23rd Jun 2006, 23:52
LOL I did wonder why you guys were in such a hurry over my house this afternoon !

Sounds like another job well done !

Sealand on fire
23 June 2006 | 14:58

Efforts to put out the fire
MORE than 20 fire fighters have been drafted in to tackle a blaze at Sealand off the coast of Felixstowe.

Eight people from Suffolk Fire service were flown on to the platform of the Second World War gun emplacement and independent principality in the North Sea. The RNLI lifeboat and a fire fighting tug from Harwich also joined in the rescue.

One man from Sealand was airlifted to hospital after trying to tackle the fire which broke out in a generator.

Cpt_Pugwash
24th Jun 2006, 00:20
For a moment there, from the title I thought you meant 30 MU. I know its closing, but burning it down seemed a bit drastic!
Oh well, it's late, so I'll just slip quietly back out......

BIG MISTER
24th Jun 2006, 00:23
Ops No - sorry for the confusion Capt !

NO Its this intersting little place.....

http://www.sealandgov.org/history.html

wg13_dummy
24th Jun 2006, 02:27
Bugger me, you learn something new every day. Never ever heard of that place. What a bunch of 'interesting' people. How bizarre.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
24th Jun 2006, 03:19
There's been a couple of threads on Sealand on JetBlast. Apparently there are still quite a few gun emplacements out there and several websites devoted to their exploration and history.

Mad_Mark
24th Jun 2006, 07:52
Eight people from Suffolk Fire service were flown on to the platform of the Second World War gun emplacement and independent principality in the North Sea.
I hope that they had PPR, otherwise they would have been in breach of the (still listed) Sealand NOTAM:

Notice to Airmen
NOTM 010/01: National heliport restrictions
01 September 2001

The Principality of Sealand announces that its National Heliport, located at 51° 53' 40" N and 01 ° 28' 48" E is closed for all traffic, including emergency traffic, and not available without prior arrangement.

Airmen should note that there are currently no air navigation aids installed and that VFR only shall apply for any operation within the Sealand CTZ.

Further details may be obtained by contacting Sealand Bureau of Internal Affairs ([email protected]) SEALAND 1001, Sealand Post Bag, IP11 9SZ, UK.

Looks like the National Heliport being closed for all traffic, including emergency, did not apply yesterday :E

MadMark!!! :mad:

On_The_Top_Bunk
24th Jun 2006, 08:29
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealand

lots of info on the place.

BIG MISTER
24th Jun 2006, 09:16
Here are some photos of the place....
http://kim.nyclondon.com/gallery/sealand

Maybe Danny could have his servers here and not worry about what people sometimes write about the USA ? :ugh:

:}

BlueWolf
24th Jun 2006, 10:35
Have wondered for a while now what they actually built it on, and am satisfied to discover that it's a sunken "ship". The photo page bothers me however; there were three hundred people stationed on it during the war, and it only has one dunny?:confused: :eek: