PDA

View Full Version : Age Limits

Astro_nav_666
23rd Jun 2006, 18:43
Good Day Ladies and Gent's,
Greetings! I am currently a pilot at the moment flying on contract in Africa for an NGO. However I have always had a burning ambition to join the forces in one way or another. I applied to the RAF as a pilot when I was 18 and didn't get in. Now 23, so getting on in terms of age. I know that the age limit for an RAF pilot is 24.
Is WSO still 26? If so are WSO's Still flying Rotary (or are they being phased out?) and with 2 crew aircraft coming online more and more with the ME fleet I take it WSO's are on there way out there?!
So with regards to the AAC and FAA, does anyone know what the Limits are for Pilot/Observer (couldn't see on RN Site)
With being a Civvy Pilot would that have any positive/negative bearing at OASC?
I thank you all for your time.
Cheers

JAG3
23rd Jun 2006, 19:16
Age limits for RAF WSO is 25, Navy 26, Army 29 I THINK with raf pilot being 23-I would think you could apply because you are 23 but if your birthday is coming up you mightened have a chance because just going through the selection months can take 3,4, or even 5 months in some cases because of the filtering process. I personally wouldn't think being an commercial pilot would help because the RAF would want to mould you down, its more the qualities as an officer which would guide you in. By the way check the eligibility first in terms of medical requirements 1st before you go ahead.:ok:

Astro_nav_666
23rd Jun 2006, 19:51
Hi JAG
Thanks for the quick reply. I know that by being a civvy pilot I may have picked up some bad habits flying wise, so that may rule out flying in the Military as a pilot. However if I were up to officer standard then surely it would not be a negative point in terms of Observer/WSO?
Is applying to the AAC as high as 29? Did not think it was that high!
Cheers

airborne_artist
23rd Jun 2006, 20:00
Remember that the OASC tests are for aptitude, not skill. You can bone up on the mental maths, and you can practice the hand/eye on the X box. Your fATPL/CPL will mean knack all, unless it's improved your skill at PC-based assessment tests. It may cause some questions at the officer selection phase, but I can't see why it would be -ve. Your NGO flying in Africa might be good for the adventure/challenge yourself section, though.

Officers in AAC mostly do one tour of flying, and then drive a desk of sorts. The SNCOs do the flying. RN are recruiting P and O, but you have to pass for both, and the Navy will stream you according to need. Some discussion about numbers needed for F-35/JSF, and whether the RN is full or screaming for aircrew, but my spies tell me that there's at least as much chance of getting a P slot in the RN as in the RAF.

Go Navy, wear the best uniform, and march to a Royal Marine band when you pass out. Your female relatives will thank you for it.

Astro_nav_666
23rd Jun 2006, 20:13
Airborne
Cheers for that. I do realise that at an OASC/AIB board questions will be asked on why I would want to leave commercial aviation. However doing to type of flying I get to do here is awesome, at the same time I would not want to do it for the rest of my career. Neither do I want to spend it on a jet flying back in the UK from A to B just now. The forces have always appealed so when back in the UK in 4 months time will pop into the AFCO and have a chat. Like I said, Pilot would be nice, but WSO/OB would still be great!

I do realise that my CPL means jack when it comes to selection tests. As you say the RN uniform is nice, and the RM band is impressive! But then again some of the RAF bands are not bad either!!

Cheers

JAG3
23rd Jun 2006, 20:21
AA, when you said about you have as much chance in the RN than the RAF are you trying to say you've got no chance of getting pilot because of the low probability. A RN lynx actually came into to my school with the Pilot and Ob actually getting out to appeal about joining specifically as aircrew so would that not show some signs. And Astro it of course doesn't rule out pilot in military, all I was trying to state was the fact that previous flying experience wouldn't mean much. By the way AA when is the JSF coming in because by the time I would apply in either 2 or 4 years would the RAF/RN be dying out for aircrew?:ok:

BY THE WAY the age limit for RAF pilot is 23, just checked it in my careers booklet.

Astro_nav_666
23rd Jun 2006, 20:36
Is the RAF still putting WSO's on rotary types? ie Pilot/Nav+ALM or now 2 Pilots+ALM?

Biggus
24th Jun 2006, 07:44
Surely under EU anti 'ageism' law shortly to come into effect age limits for entry will be illegal?

No doubt the military got exemptions from these particular rules, while still being forced to abide by lots of other totally impractical ones!!!!

Astro_nav_666
24th Jun 2006, 07:45
Hi again,
Surely someone must be able to answer the above question?! By the way if WSO's are still on the Rotary fleet then which types are they on? And what is their role as part of the crew?
Cheers

3portdrift
24th Jun 2006, 07:59
I understand that WSOs are being phased out from the rotary fleet. Presumably there will be a few around for a while until the pilot cadre is built up, but no ab initios taken in any more.

As to the concern about previous flying experience, I wouldn't sorry about it too much, it's the attitude that concerns the RAF. Many people with PPLs assume they will cruise EFT/BFT etc. This is not necessarily the case, as the RAF style of flying/airmanship etc is very different from many sections of the civvy world. The trick is to not be the big ' I am' and be discrete about where your previous experience gives you an advantage. ie, don't yawn all the way through 'straight and level 1'.

An analogy, changing rugby codes - it's likely that if you are a decent League player, you will be able to convert to Union, but success depends on making the transfer with complete respect paid to the new code, the traditions, its training techniques, accepting that you will start at the bottom of the heirarchy etc.

Astro_nav_666
24th Jun 2006, 08:05
So I take it that for an Ab Initio the only types available for a WSO are the
GR4, Nimrod, E3D, ASTOR?
I take it then that means no more ab int types going onto Hercs/Rotary Type!
Oh well, sure Mud Mover would be great:D

3portdrift
24th Jun 2006, 10:18
I've been out of the loop for a couple of years, but I think there are still abo slots on the Herc for the time being. Of course this will change when it is clear that the A400M is going to be delivered on time................